Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Alabama carries out first nitrogen gas execution

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There seem to be the usual dumb comments from capital punishment supporters.

Simple fact is it isn't a deterrent.
Why is revenge not allowed? Eye for an eye and all that. Lots of people want that and couldn’t care less about deterrent argument.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
It's so well documented that I won't even bother with the overwhelming evidence that the death penalty is not a deterrent in any shape or form. I'm sure even you're capable of finding that on Google.

But, maybe you should watch this.

Because as the 1st Earl of Birkenhead famously said

Judge: I've listened to you for an hour and I'm none wiser.
Earle of Birkenhead: None the wiser, perhaps, my lord but certainly better informed.

I remember hearing a debate, many, many years ago on (probably) the BBC about the death penalty and the one woman made an argument for how it's not a deterrent that has stuck with me ever since. Essentially she argued that murders generally happen for one of three reasons 1) profit, 2) passion or 3) compulsion. Which of these are actually going to be deterred by the death penatly?

If you kill for profit (example, a hired hitman or you kill somebody for the life insurance money), then you intend to get away with it. You can't profit if you don't. So if you believe you will get away with it, then the punishment is irrelevant.

If you kill for passion (example, you come home early and find your wife in bed with your neighbor), this is a "heat of the moment' action. You aren't thinking about consequences at all. You are seeing red. Enraged.

If you kill from compulsion (example, the voices in your head tell you to kill) then you don't have control. So how can you be deterred?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
There seem to be the usual dumb comments from capital punishment supporters.

Simple fact is it isn't a deterrent.
Had you thought that your comment could also be dumb? Whilst murders continue to happen of course, how do you know how many people considering murder might just have been put off by the thought of capital punishment? So it is hardly a fact, as it cannot be proven.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
It's so well documented that I won't even bother with the overwhelming evidence that the death penalty is not a deterrent in any shape or form. I'm sure even you're capable of finding that on Google.

Earle of Birkenhead: None the wiser, perhaps, my lord but certainly better informed.

Yee GADS Priti Patel, scrub my eyeballs and ears!! Loving her getting owned by Ian Hislop. Love the quote Justine mentions of Desmond Tutu's " If you take a life when a life has been taken, thats revenge, not justice" my sentiments exactly...Good watch, thanks

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Why is revenge not allowed? Eye for an eye and all that. Lots of people want that and couldn’t care less about deterrent argument.
Because it’s a thicko mentality, an eye for an eye solves nothing and much as the vengeance might make some ‘feel’ better it won’t in the long run, there’s not one major world issue that would be solved with the ‘eye for an eye’ philosophy

There’s been thousands and thousands of people who have been wrongly incarcerated for years only to eventually be acquitted or proven innocent, the death penalty is a crime against humanity and the fact it still proceeds in ‘civilised’ countries like the US (I use the term loosely) is absolutely deplorable.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022

Nobody said it's a deterrent
Justice is served
That's all

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Had you thought that your comment could also be dumb? Whilst murders continue to happen of course, how do you know how many people considering murder might just have been put off by the thought of capital punishment? So it is hardly a fact, as it cannot be proven.

It isn't a deterrent. I assume you have access to the Internet. It's a simple fact that has been proven over and over again when comparing places that have corporal punishment and those that don't.

Maybe have a little look before calling people's posts 'dumb'.

Just trying to help :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But is that what it’s supposed to be ? It’s punishment isn’t it ?
To be fair it's a bit of both however who honestly thinks it's a better punishment than making someone spend the rest of their life behind bars! Cost wise I suspect it is considerably more expensive than keeping him alive behind bars bearing in mind the continual appeals and court cases etc etc.

There is also, as others suggest, the chance the state have cocked up. That could be due to new evidence, corrupt police etc. Also, in this case, the jurors called for life behind bars but were over ruled by the judge!

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Yes you did, right here:

^ you are suggesting that it's a deterrent. That you shouldn't commit a murder if you don't want to be murdered. That's the definition of a deterrent.
I'm afraid I'm not
Of course it's not a deterrent
You seem to be clutching at straws here
Let's be clear
If you can't do the time,don't do the crime

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here