Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Celebrate goals like you celebrate them in England. You don’t just sit there and clap politely in this country. Why the need to behave so unpleasantly in other countries? It’s arrogance and borderline racism. "It’s a foreign country, we can do whatever we want." That’s the attitude.
Or - this is amazing, we're in europe and outplaying ajax - unbelievable. Heat of the moment, heart pumping, ramped up being belief, seen it done loads of times before on the telly, everyone thinks its great, no issues with it at Marseille, etc etc etc

Still pathetic, not trying to justify it, but the reactions on here and from the club are quite extraordinary. Dry cleaning, blood and concussion discussed, should be more than a 5 game ban - bloody hell, is that the price of sucess?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Violent behaviour? Really? Throwing beer is now violent behaviour? What next?

The glass throwing and blood being drawn was on the train and from Ajax fans I thought.

I agree the beer throwing is unecessary, irritating, pathetic and a waste of money but the bans are another example of the club being over eager to punish. In another ten years we'll be reading about why 5 game bans are reasonable for people swearing at a match "so uneccesary, they wouldn't do that when out shopping. My kids shouldn't be exposed to such language"

There are ways of taking your customers with you and there are ways of targetting new customers.
As others have said though, the club have seemingly only taken action against those hauled out by Ajax stewards for their behaviour, not conducted a forensic examination of the CCTV footage for anyone luzzing beer...........so arguably doing nothing wasn't really an option

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
No it wouldn't. Immediate ban for this behaviour, it's anti-social and unnacceptable. Zero tolerance. Why should you ruin someone else's experience with no negative consequences? The people who luzzed the beers around are no loss to anything and frankly, I imagine these losers were already hammered before staggering their way toward the ground.

It's a no from me.
Jesus, drunk people at football matches. Outrageous.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
You are correct.

As has been stated here, the fans banned are the fans removed from the stadium by Ajax stewards and handed over to Albion stewards and Balkham.

So clearly not the exuberant celebrators who happened to be holding beer, as they would be impossible to single out.
No, they had to have been the fans who took it to the next level.

As said last night, everyone in the ground shrugged it off, perhaps grumbled to themselves and others but instantly moved on.
Nobody screamed for a policeman or demanded justice, a fact that is also being missed by those defending the actions of the luzzers.
Being identified and removed does not equate to chucking stuff at the ajax fans below (presuming thats what you meant by taking it to the next level?).

Posts on this thread indicating that some were banned without being ejected, I saw someone in the process of being ejected where the discussion was one of ' yes, we know it wasn't deliberate but....". You may be right, it may be that fans chucking stuff at Ajax below were the only ones banned but that is just an assumption, and one not fitting the clubs recent history.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still pathetic, not trying to justify it, but the reactions on here and from the club are quite extraordinary. Dry cleaning, blood and concussion discussed, should be more than a 5 game ban - bloody hell, is that the price of sucess?
The reaction on here is to the club response to those fans removed by Ajax stewards.
The reaction on here is not in direct response to being covered in beer or hit by plastic pint pots.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
As others have said though, the club have seemingly only taken action against those hauled out by Ajax stewards for their behaviour, not conducted a forensic examination of the CCTV footage for anyone luzzing beer...........so arguably doing nothing wasn't really an option
Not what I have read on this (though I've no idea about the truth of anyones statements of course). There's always an option re treatment of your support, depending on the situation. Some clubs find a victim and chuck them out as an example to others (Forest a big advocate of that), stewards vary greatly in their 'ability' so just going with what they say/do is a dodgy approach. I'd hope there was some evaluation and consideration before action but..........

Imagine being that person that acted in the heat of the moment, thought it was all good fun and part of the football fan expereince (yes I know, pathetic still) and then get the call/mail saying bin your athens flights/hotel and f-off for 5 games (plus away games). You'd fall out of love with the club wouldn't you? That would really hurt.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The reaction on here is to the club response to those fans removed by Ajax stewards.
The reaction on here is not in direct response to being covered in beer or hit by plastic pint pots.
Your reaction. Not the reaction. There is not just one reaction (appreciating that my post was suggesting one reaction too..............)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Your reaction. Not the reaction. There is not just one reaction.
The point being nobody complained until AFTER the club's sanctions came to light.
6 days, nothing, not a peep about Luzzgate, meaning all of us Albion fans in the stadium accepted it for what it was, part of the football experience.

The 'don't throw beer' announcement was greeted with beer throwing.
The home fans were targeted with beer thrown at them.

Your assertion that it's only a bit of fun, the stewards weren't up to it and it was just the heat of the moment, says more about you previously falling foul of Mr Barber, than it does of your experience at the game.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Reading this thread, I’m reminded of this

IMG_0504.jpeg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm not in favour of chucking beer over everybody, but if you wear something that needs dry cleaning to a football match you really have nobody to blame but yourself.
I dont but dwayne is always telling us about his clobber.
Or - this is amazing, we're in europe and outplaying ajax - unbelievable. Heat of the moment, heart pumping, ramped up being belief, seen it done loads of times before on the telly, everyone thinks its great, no issues with it at Marseille, etc etc etc

My comment about dry cleaning was a joke about dwayne, who is always telling us how ‘rich’ he is and would never be seen dead in polyester.
Don‘t take every post so seriously. 🙂

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I wasn't there, but from the video I saw there was a hell of a lot of beer throwing. But I'm guessing those that threw beer in the air but kept hold of their plastic glass, haven't been banned. Throwing a 'glass' with contents in it can make it a dangerous missile if someone gets hit in the head/face with the bottom edge.

So do we know how many have actually received bans? If it's a small number - for what might be considered a more serious offence than 'just' throwing beer in the air - then I don't see how anyone can have a problem with that. Hopefully others will take note and not get caught out at future games and get banned. Although that would take some sort of intelligence ...

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The point being nobody complained until AFTER the club's sanctions came to light.
6 days, nothing, not a peep about Luzzgate, meaning all of us Albion fans in the stadium accepted it for what it was, part of the football experience.
I can assure you that people were challenged at the time about the luzzing. We just didn’t expect anything to be done post match and didn’t come here complaining.
There were people around us so drunk they kept dropping beers but still went and got another.
My wife left the ground saying she didn’t want to go to any more away European games “if that’s what it’s going to be like”.
It also didn’t help that a female steward told her (while I was in the toilets post match) that the Ajax fans were animals and would be waiting for us to attack us.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
celebrating goals has changed over the years. It used to be a spontaneous and “with wild abandon” reaction, and it is for most. But I have seen some people filming themselves ostentatiously celebrating which is quite odd and seems quite forced. there is also BoxPark footage of people buying pints and then lobbing them.

It’s not just football either. I once saw a couple of girls carefully filming themselves going “wild” at a music festival. They took it in turns to film each other.
I could be wrong, but I imagine that @El Presidente has a selection of films containing girls going wild in turns.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can assure you that people were challenged at the time about the luzzing. We just didn’t expect anything to be done post match and didn’t come here complaining.
There were people around us so drunk they kept dropping beers but still went and got another.
My wife left the ground saying she didn’t want to go to any more away European games “if that’s what it’s going to be like”.
It also didn’t help that a female steward told her (while I was in the toilets post match) that the Ajax fans were animals and would be waiting for us to attack us.
Sorry yes I was answering the poster who was bemoaning the responses on here.

I too was forced to challenge poor behaviour at the time.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

The 'don't throw beer' announcement was greeted with beer throwing.
The home fans were targeted with beer thrown at them.

Your assertion that it's only a bit of fun, the stewards weren't up to it and it was just the heat of the moment, says more about you previously falling foul of Mr Barber, than it does of your experience at the game.
Nice bit of creative writing in the last para, but yes I have experienced barbers monochrome approach to life. Yes, it does have an influence, as all first hand experiences do.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I dont but dwayne is always telling us about his clobber.

My comment about dry cleaning was a joke about dwayne, who is always telling us how ‘rich’ he is and would never be seen dead in polyester.
Don‘t take every post so seriously. 🙂
Went right over my head that one, but chuckling now!

As did the beer thankfully

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As someone who isn't a heavy drinker maybe it's just me, but what is the point of shelling out so much money to do something you're too drunk to appreciate and don't remember after it's happened? If you wanted to get insanely drunk so you weren't aware of your own surroundings and then the next day remember absolutely nothing about it then surely you could have just stayed in Brighton?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here