[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think the principle is fine but from experience, people won't change their behaviour just because a fellow fan has asked.
I wasn't really meaning to suggest it would - eg people will stand at away games even though some would rather sit etc. I think it may naturally calm down a little but tbh that was really a throwaway comment. My main feeling was, I totally get giving some form of punishment - I just think denying someone who no doubt has flights and accommodation for Athens already booked (after doing at least Amsterdam as well) is excessive (fwiw, not if chucked over and at the home fans). A 5-game ban is possibly on the lower end of punishments the club will dish out but when one of those games missed has no doubt cost the person hundreds of £s it's perhaps more excessive than it was designed to be? A 5-game ban for say, the next five away games to go on sale (Arsenal, Palace, West Ham, Luton, Spurs) might be more reasonable. Anyway, I've gone into that territory I wanted to avoid where there's a back and forth on what is and isn't reasonable etc. I'll leave it there!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wasn't really meaning to suggest it would - eg people will stand at away games even though some would rather sit etc. I think it may naturally calm down a little but tbh that was really a throwaway comment. My main feeling was, I totally get giving some form of punishment - I just think denying someone who no doubt has flights and accommodation for Athens already booked (after doing at least Amsterdam as well) is excessive (fwiw, not if chucked over and at the home fans). A 5-game ban is possibly on the lower end of punishments the club will dish out but when one of those games missed has no doubt cost the person hundreds of £s it's perhaps more excessive than it was designed to be? A 5-game ban for say, the next five away games to go on sale (Arsenal, Palace, West Ham, Luton, Spurs) might be more reasonable. Anyway, I've gone into that territory I wanted to avoid where there's a back and forth on what is and isn't reasonable etc. I'll leave it there!
They’ll be banned from buying away tickets whilst the home ban is in force I think, so the ‘effective’ ban is longer

Geoffish

Aug 2, 2014
My girlfriend got soaked after the first goal and her hoodie was drenched through with beer for the rest of the trip so had to go without it for the rest of the trip, having only packed hand luggage. A bit of beer spraying upwards when you celebrate is normal but chucking a nearly full cup away from you onto your own fans or the Ajax fans who we have no real rivalry with is out of order.

red123

Aug 17, 2014
We were prepared, we saw it coming, hoods up, so what about the small minority that throw their drinks around in the concourses at all the other away games, this has been happening for years........

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And what punishment do you think fans should mete out to those that constantly ignore what you're saying and continue the luzzing.
A dry slap perhaps.

What a great plan.

:facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the principle is fine but from experience, people won't change their behaviour just because a fellow fan has asked.
In theory it’s a good idea, but at Marseille I was met with aggression when I asked a guy to move out the way when he had arrived midway through the first half, was pissed and blocking many people’s view.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone throwing beer around deserves to be banned. Knock it off. Nobody wants to get covered in beer and then just have to put up with it for however long afterwards. Obivously, the luzzers are tossers with no respect for anyone around them and couldn't care less. They are no loss from the matchday experience for anyone else.
This.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My girlfriend got soaked after the first goal and her hoodie was drenched through with beer for the rest of the trip so had to go without it for the rest of the trip, having only packed hand luggage. A bit of beer spraying upwards when you celebrate is normal but chucking a nearly full cup away from you onto your own fans or the Ajax fans who we have no real rivalry with is out of order.
My son and I had the same experience.

Completely drenched on both goals, of course being challenged in the hair department my handkerchief quickly ensured my hair (that’s singular rather than plural) dried. 👍

The inside of my coat got saturated on the first goal, hoodie second goal…..

I did stop someone in front of me chucking 3 stacked pint cups, as obviously being heavier etc…..

Despite the above, I do feel the punishment seems a little harsh, but it will make people think twice, which is good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really feel for anyone whose booked flights and accommodation to Athens and now can't attend because of this.
Don’t be an arse then :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Having read the thread this is what I beginning to see as the consensus. It is bad to throw beer at the football, but people should be allowed to do so. If you object to someone else doing it, don't call a steward (that would get the beer thrower into trouble, which would be unfair) but instead sort it out yourself, with a fight if necessary.

Unless it is the other fans doing it, in which case they should have their stadium closed and an immediate points deduction.

And people wonder why other people think football fans are a bunch of thick yob ****s

:shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sort of “this” however it might be that some perpetrators will be punished differently for the same crime i.e some will be banned from Athens if they’ve got tickets and erm…Sheffield United if they haven’t
European bans don't affect domestic competitions do they?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’m seeing reports that fans have had 5 match bans imposed for throwing beer when celebrating our goals against Ajax. Seems a massive overreaction by the club. It’s annoying and a waste of beer but this seems very heavy handed.
I hope we never allow beer in our stands. I remember that televised Middlesbrough game - total mess.

Also, people constantly getting up and down to get beer. Watch the match!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You’d need a bit more detail to decide if it’s heavy-handed, or not. Define ‘throwing beer’.

Adingra’s goal, coming as it did, soon after HT - there were a lot of unfinished drinks about in that moment.

Everybody went disco mental, and a lot of drinks were ‘spilled’. However:

- some were literally just SPILLED. If you were stood right in front of such, it was anoying, but you’d never expect the ‘spiller’ to face any punishment.

- some were thrown up in the air in an act of celebration, showering scores of people in beer. This is f***ing annoying, and deserves a quiet word to not be a dick.

- some though (watch the video of the ‘limbs’ in the insta below) were deliberately thrown - not up in the air - but out of our section, into the Ajax fans below. I’d expect, if identified, that these throwers would be treated exactly the same as anyone throwing any other ‘missile’.

Its really not that hard to not be a dickhead.

It’s not hard to not be a dickhead, but sadly a lot of people do either a) find it hard, or b) enjoy being dickheads.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I didn't say it looks cool when beer is poured on someone did I!

I said it looked good when the club posted that limbs clip. Everyone was loving that and it was reposted by NSC. But shock horror, the self righteous are out once again crying at this incident. Despite the worst happening to someone was having some beer being spilt on them.
That was the clear implication of your wording -you think it is funny when you see it, so it clearly means that someone else is soaked as a result. Don't now try to wriggle out of it. It has nothing to do with being self-righteous; just a concern for other people, not that that clearly bothers you, as your last sentence demonstrates.

Reactions: cjd

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I was at the very far left of the Albion fans, next to the thick plastic/glass screen with the Ajax fans beyond.

After the game, plastic glasses were flying in both directions. As I was next to the screen, they were flaying over my head.

Some of the glasses that still had beer in them were travelling quickly and, with the beer in them, were also heavy. Depending where they struck, particularly in the face, a fair amount of damage could be done.
You must have been near us as one of them did hit one of our group full in the face. Luckily he wasn’t cut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports