Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My Dad (almost 70) got absolutely soaked in beer in both Marseille and Amsterdam. He doesn't post on here, so no online tantrums but he wasn't best pleased. Personally would rather the club just issued warnings, and we policed ourselves a bit. I'd like to think after the novelty of having a beer in your seat wears off things would settle down. I really feel for anyone whose booked flights and accommodation to Athens and now can't attend because of this. There must surely be alternative ways to give someone a slap on the wrist. That's a hefty punishment, given the financial/emotional investment they've put into following the club abroad.
And what punishment do you think fans should mete out to those that constantly ignore what you're saying and continue the luzzing.

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
I didn't throw a beer and neither did any of my good mates I go with. I didn't condone any of this either, I said if thats UEFA's priority they need to get their house in order. Would the police not be better off investigating the bloke who got attacked with a broken bottle on the Subway to the Johan Cruyff.
it was my mate who got attacked. It wasn't a broken bottle, it was a small glass that was thrown and hit him on the forehead, cutting him in numerous places. The police are aware of it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got pretty soaked when the goals went in………partly luzzed beer and partly those holding beer nearby celebrating. There were more flying glasses after the second goal I think (as if a few took their lead from what happened after the first goal). It was overall minimal compared to the typical boxpark scenes when England score (for example) though - personally completely expected it with beer in the stands but anyone going to a game these days should be pretty aware that their every move is on CCTV so shouldn’t be surpised they’ve been pulled up over it. Have to say, though, did join in and have a good chuckle at our response when we were told off by the stadium announcer :laugh:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
it was my mate who got attacked. It wasn't a broken bottle, it was a small glass that was thrown and hit him on the forehead, cutting him in numerous places. The police are aware of it
Didn't realise anything like this went on. What happened?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Good to hear the police are aware, hope everything is ok, looked a nasty incident.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
And what punishment do you think fans should mete out to those that constantly ignore what you're saying and continue the luzzing.
In trying to reply to this, it feels like anything I say will just lead to some online back and forth. I don't think my opinion, or suggestion is of any value to be honest. I'm no expert, I just wanted to express my empathy.

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
Didn't realise anything like this went on. What happened?
group of ajax thugs came onto the carriage and threw a glass and started hitting people with sharpened umbrellas. no hint of trouble up to that point. the carriage we were on were singing and having a good time on the way to the ground at about 5pm. Dutch and English police were great. helped us get into the ground as the security were not going to let us in with the amount of blood on show. The dutch medical team at the stadium were superb. Got him sorted so he could still see the match

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
group of ajax thugs came onto the carriage and threw a glass and started hitting people with sharpened umbrellas. no hint of trouble up to that point. the carriage we were on were singing and having a good time on the way to the ground at about 5pm. Dutch and English police were great. helped us get into the ground as the security were not going to let us in with the amount of blood on show. The dutch medical team at the stadium were superb. Got him sorted so he could still see the match
Good to hear everyone got to see the game, the Ajax fans on our train (one in front) were sound and having a laugh, shame some had to ruin it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In trying to reply to this, it feels like anything I say will just lead to some online back and forth. I don't think my opinion, or suggestion is of any value to be honest. I'm no expert, I just wanted to express my empathy.
I think the principle is fine but from experience, people won't change their behaviour just because a fellow fan has asked.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I’ve not read the whole thread and I’m not giving an opinion on the bans however what I have read on here and on the socials is people are genuinely confusing showering the roof of the stand with the flat remnants of a pint whilst keeping hold of the cup with actually launching (aka luzzing) a three quarter full cup and contents in one action into the home end (invariably failing to reach its intended target and in at least one case causing injury to “one of our own”)

The latter is a very different case
Edit: I’m not saying the first scenario is acceptable either (I wouldn’t do it)

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wasn't at the game (watched it in a bar just off Dam Square), but a couple of my mates were there and got completely drenched in beer after the second goal. I have to say, if it happened to me then I would have a severe sense of humour breakdown. You have to be a complete dickhead to actively decide to hurl your pint over some poor other random in the stands.

Has the clubs response been draconian ? 5 game ban could be seen as harsh I suppose, but I struggle to have any sympathy. Just don't act like a total dickhead next time. Its not hard is it.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Anyone throwing beer around deserves to be banned. Knock it off. Nobody wants to get covered in beer and then just have to put up with it for however long afterwards. Obivously, the luzzers are tossers with no respect for anyone around them and couldn't care less. They are no loss from the matchday experience for anyone else.

Nov 8, 2023
And some were thrown in response to the 'don't throw beer' announcement.
Was at Marseille when a young guy did it and rather than apologising denied it. He was with his dad and they were both absolutely battered. The bloke in front wasn’t happy and they grappled each other. The young lad thought it was all a big laugh.

All for fun at games but far too many boozed up idiots at away games these days that have watched Green Street and ID one to many times

The behaviour of a small minority underlines why we don’t have alcohol in the stands

Nov 8, 2023
Anyone throwing beer around deserves to be banned. Knock it off. Nobody wants to get covered in beer and then just have to put up with it for however long afterwards. Obivously, the luzzers are tossers with no respect for anyone around them and couldn't care less. They are no loss from the matchday experience for anyone else.
Waiting for the normal meat heads and Stone Island brigade to respond that you are being “ woke “ and are Orr of the reason the Amex is quiet

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It really isn't funny ... plastic can hurt.

A few years ago we were at a gig at Ropetackle in Shoreham with some friends. We were stood near the back (it's not a big place) when just a couple of songs in to the main act, some idiot who had finished his pint, threw his glass behind him (as he didn't need it any more :rolleyes: ) and it hit our female friend straight in the eye. She went down to the floor very scared. Staff called an ambulance where she spent the next hour or so ... so we didn't see any more of the gig.

I try to make sure that any of my actions in life don't harm or upset or inconvenience anyone else. Sadly, I see so many idiots these days at gigs, football, on trains and in general day to day life that don't give a f*ck about anyone else as long as they're OK!
I've also, in a similar vein, been hit in the back of the head by a (presumably empty) glass wine bottle that somebody threw forward at an outdoor gig.
That didn't seem to do me any noticeable harm, suggesting my brain's got some sort of protective padding where thinking should normally take place like Homer Simpson.
At Marseille I had a beer in my hand when our first goal went in, I put it down while simultaneously waving other bits of my body around like I would have done if it were a cup of tea. I'm not wasting half a pint I've only just paid for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here