Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
While I agree to an extent, luzzing beer is nothing compared to what I have witnessed in Marseille (machetes, smoke bombs, tear gas, running gangs) with their supporters, and have an account of someone being attacked with a broken bottle at Ajax. English fans should be back of the queue for sanctions for beer luzzing however annoying it is.
No, stop! "It’s even worse somewhere else" is never a good argument. I think I’m right in saying you’re a young bloke in your 20s, and I do understand where you’re coming from if you're thinking of it in the context of a bunch of young lads together ‘aving a right larf and chucking beer over each other — each to their own, and all that. But when other people, including kids, seniors, women, get injured or thumped in the back of the head by a flying beer glass (albeit plastic), it’s time to be more grown up. I really hate sounding like a finger-wagging teacher or parent, especially as I was no saint in my teens. But come on mate, you can’t condone this.

You’re right to mention that there have been more dangerous incidents elsewhere but I’m sure you’ve heard of the broken windows theory. If you let the small stuff go, the bigger shit is never far behind.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
No, stop! "It’s even worse somewhere else" is never a good argument. I think I’m right in saying you’re a young bloke in your 20s, and I do understand where you’re coming from if you're thinking of it in the context of a bunch of young lads together ‘aving a right larf and chucking beer over each other — each to their own, and all that. But when other people, including kids, seniors, women, get injured or thumped in the back of the head by a flying beer glass (albeit plastic), it’s time to be more grown up. I really hate sounding like a finger-wagging teacher or parent, especially as I was no saint in my teens. But come on mate, you can’t condone this.

You’re right to mention that there have been more dangerous incidents elsewhere but I’m sure you’ve heard of the broken windows theory. If you let the small stuff go, the bigger shit is never far behind.
I didn't throw a beer and neither did any of my good mates I go with. I didn't condone any of this either, I said if thats UEFA's priority they need to get their house in order. Would the police not be better off investigating the bloke who got attacked with a broken bottle on the Subway to the Johan Cruyff.

Last edited:

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
So the club has pictures of every fan and can correlate them to some CCTV footage taken at the exact moment of the beer throwing? Impressive must be some sort of one of massive leap forward in technology as they couldn't identify the bloke at Marseille nor the Leicester fan who threw a bottle at me. Me thinks this might be more than a one off episode by fans but repeat behaviour and maybe not just throwing some beer in the air. If it was a single event then I am astounded.

Watch this from 1.32 and you'll see how they are able to spot them so quickly. A quick message to the stewards in the away end and an ID check and you're spotted.

Cameras in Dutch stadiums are no joke.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I didn't throw a beer and neither did any of my good mates I go with. I didn't condone any of this either, I said if thats UEFA's priority they need to get their house in order.
I guess the flip side of this is that in the Europa Conference League final last season a full pint was thrown at a player by an English fan and caused considerable injury.

Whilst I agree it’s hardly the worst issue in the world, it also is clearly an issue and should probably have some consequence. As you’ve said in this thread Jack, it’s a big problem in Holland atm and I’d probably wager that is a big part of it.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Absolutely ridiculous if true. I like seeing beer luzzing, looks cool on the highlights.

Obviously I don't like to be on the receiving end but it's just harmless fun. And we are not likely to be in a position to do it again in the near future if this wretched form continues.
I am hoping that this is meant in jest. You don't like it if the beer hits you, but it looks cool if it hits others and that is "harmless fun". If this really is your attitude, then you need to have a period of self reflection.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
You’d need a bit more detail to decide if it’s heavy-handed, or not. Define ‘throwing beer’.

Adingra’s goal, coming as it did, soon after HT - there were a lot of unfinished drinks about in that moment.

Everybody went disco mental, and a lot of drinks were ‘spilled’. However:

- some were literally just SPILLED. If you were stood right in front of such, it was anoying, but you’d never expect the ‘spiller’ to face any punishment.

- some were thrown up in the air in an act of celebration, showering scores of people in beer. This is f***ing annoying, and deserves a quiet word to not be a dick.

- some though (watch the video of the ‘limbs’ in the insta below) were deliberately thrown - not up in the air - but out of our section, into the Ajax fans below. I’d expect, if identified, that these throwers would be treated exactly the same as anyone throwing any other ‘missile’.

Its really not that hard to not be a dickhead.

Honestly not sure we need much in the thread beyond this. I've been covered in soft drinks a few times at away games, which is annoying but not as bad as beer. My experience has pretty much been just they got spilled, and as you say it's annoying but whatever. Things happen.

Beyond that you're a dick at the very best.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was at the very far left of the Albion fans, next to the thick plastic/glass screen with the Ajax fans beyond.

After the game, plastic glasses were flying in both directions. As I was next to the screen, they were flaying over my head.

Some of the glasses that still had beer in them were travelling quickly and, with the beer in them, were also heavy. Depending where they struck, particularly in the face, a fair amount of damage could be done.

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023
I was at the very far left of the Albion fans, next to the thick plastic/glass screen with the Ajax fans beyond.

After the game, plastic glasses were flying in both directions. As I was next to the screen, they were flaying over my head.

Some of the glasses that still had beer in them were travelling quickly and, with the beer in them, were also heavy. Depending where they struck, particularly in the face, a fair amount of damage could be done.
Absolutely agree it can possibly be dangerous, and should not happen.

Where I am aggrieved is the club tweeting "MORE OF THIS BACK AT THE AMEX PLEASE", but then banning those in the video that did it. Hilariously, the video and post have now been deleted from their socials, but it doesn't change the fact it was there when the bans were handed out.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The beer throwing in Marseille was much better/heavier than in Dam, but I didn't witness anyone crying afterwards???

Coincidence? Or did those having the online tantrums post Dam not have the cojones to head to Marseille???
My Dad (almost 70) got absolutely soaked in beer in both Marseille and Amsterdam. He doesn't post on here, so no online tantrums but he wasn't best pleased. Personally would rather the club just issued warnings, and we policed ourselves a bit. I'd like to think after the novelty of having a beer in your seat wears off things would settle down. I really feel for anyone whose booked flights and accommodation to Athens and now can't attend because of this. There must surely be alternative ways to give someone a slap on the wrist. That's a hefty punishment, given the financial/emotional investment they've put into following the club abroad.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I am hoping that this is meant in jest. You don't like it if the beer hits you, but it looks cool if it hits others and that is "harmless fun". If this really is your attitude, then you need to have a period of self reflection.

I didn't say it looks cool when beer is poured on someone did I!

I said it looked good when the club posted that limbs clip. Everyone was loving that and it was reposted by NSC. But shock horror, the self righteous are out once again crying at this incident. Despite the worst happening to someone was having some beer being spilt on them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My Dad (almost 70) got absolutely soaked in beer in both Marseille and Amsterdam. He doesn't post on here, so no online tantrums but he wasn't best pleased. Personally would rather the club just issued warnings, and we policed ourselves a bit. I'd like to think after the novelty of having a beer in your seat wears off things would settle down. I really feel for anyone whose booked flights and accommodation to Athens and now can't attend because of this. There must surely be alternative ways to give someone a slap on the wrist. That's a hefty punishment, given the financial/emotional investment they've put into following the club abroad.
Despite my comments on this thread I do actually agree - with the exception of the handful of dickheads that actually launched full pints from the top tier down into the Ajax fans below - no sympathy at all for them, whatever punishment they get.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We were sat at the very front, and I got hit by a half empty pint as did my dad. Fortunately the only real damage was a small cut but it could have been worse.

. But shock horror, the self righteous are out once again crying at this incident. Despite the worst happening to someone was having some beer being spilt on them.
:shrug:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

A friend of mine managed to be concussed by a plastic cup to the back of the head at an NFL game in London.
I wasn't there but apparently it was actually quite alarming, he either blacked out or generally had absolutely no idea what was going on around him.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Agree the person who careered into the back of me I told to calm down and he didn't do it again. People need to stop being silly buggers, I once launched a pint at an England tournament screening because Southgate brought on Mason Mount as a sub of all things, aiming at the projector and I hit someone, and instantly apologised, I wouldn't do it again now. Its all about self growth.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
A friend of mine managed to be concussed by a plastic cup to the back of the head at an NFL game in London.
I wasn't there but apparently it was actually quite alarming, he either blacked out or generally had absolutely no idea what was going on around him.
It really isn't funny ... plastic can hurt.

A few years ago we were at a gig at Ropetackle in Shoreham with some friends. We were stood near the back (it's not a big place) when just a couple of songs in to the main act, some idiot who had finished his pint, threw his glass behind him (as he didn't need it any more :rolleyes: ) and it hit our female friend straight in the eye. She went down to the floor very scared. Staff called an ambulance where she spent the next hour or so ... so we didn't see any more of the gig.

I try to make sure that any of my actions in life don't harm or upset or inconvenience anyone else. Sadly, I see so many idiots these days at gigs, football, on trains and in general day to day life that don't give a f*ck about anyone else as long as they're OK!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here