Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Watching the limbs video I think I see what might be the problem here. I’m sure if you’re holding a drink and you celebrate then the contents might spill, probably will, and that is likely to get yourself and those within touching distance. Getting banned for that would be way too harsh.
However, that video clearly shows cups travelling 20-30 rows down, that isn’t a ‘we scored - hooray - whoops’ moment. That is deliberate and probably premeditated. That does need to be dealt with.
Looks like the limbs video has now been taken down!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Seems a bit harsh IMO, particularly if this wasn't highlighted in advance.
Like THIS (clauses 8.3 and 8.5) in the match information sent out by the club?

1700054860984.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One thing I will note was the Ajax stewards were incredibly aggressive throughout, at the end of the game while we waited for a friend (who has a disability) to go to the toilet they pushed us and actually marched another friend out of the ground. They also confiscated a bag of Werther's originals off my mum which was a bit weird. Not to start on the not letting anyone onto the concourse for 45 minutes even if you needed the toilet, think they also need a look at how their own operation works.
What a Job's Werth

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Watching the limbs video I think I see what might be the problem here. I’m sure if you’re holding a drink and you celebrate then the contents might spill, probably will, and that is likely to get yourself and those within touching distance. Getting banned for that would be way too harsh.
However, that video clearly shows cups travelling 20-30 rows down, that isn’t a ‘we scored - hooray - whoops’ moment. That is deliberate and probably premeditated. That does need to be dealt with.
See post #8

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
What I find astonishing is that no one on NSC was ever young, or irresponsible, or mistaken. Would I want to be soaked by beer these days? No. Do I want to see others banned for throwing beer? No. Did I do stupid stuff in my teens and twenties? Of course I did, only dull people did nothing daft.
I can remember being slung out of the Goldstone more than once. Twice was for indulging in a "Knees Up Brighton Town" with the consequential tumbling down the terraces. You got slung out. Waited until the gates opened 15 mins or so before FT and head straight back in.

As with the "tumbling down the terraces", nobody died in the "luzzing of beer". Massive over-reaction by the club. I wish the FAB great luck with changing PBOBE's mind. He seems to love a banning order.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
  • 8.1 It is not permitted to bring items into the Johan Cruiiff ArenA which may constitute a risk to health, safety or public order, including bottles, glasses, cans, sticks, banners, football shirts 🤔

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
So what I've learned from this thread, is miserable old ****s are beer magnets?

How anyone can be annoyed by being covered in beer when it was pissing down before the game and most likely already soaked. We WON, AWAY 2-0 IN AMSTERDAM. Get a grip. Yeh its not ideal, it happens at gigs all the time, more often a lot worse, my mate got covered in a pint of piss once. We cant drink in stands most of the time anyway so whats there to worry about.

Shit news for the person caught, totally seems OTT. 5 games and missing Athens is pretty harsh, especially the cost that is associated with it. However the club do need to do something, how about a beer awareness course and the dangers of luzzing plastic cups.
The limbs video clearly showed at least one pint being thrown into the Ajax fans below the Albion section…….so not just “miserable old gits” being beer magnets.

Classic whataboutary with your mate getting covered in a pint of piss though :rolleyes:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
  • 8.1 It is not permitted to bring items into the Johan Cruiiff ArenA which may constitute a risk to health, safety or public order, including bottles, glasses, cans, sticks, banners, football shirts 🤔
..to events OTHER THAN football matches" (as well you know).

Designed presumably to prevent Ajax and PSV fans (for example) having fisticuffs at a Taylor Swift concert.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
So folk not taken out by stewards at the time have been identified on CCTV for beer chucking and then banned? That really is taking it to a whole new level.
So the club has pictures of every fan and can correlate them to some CCTV footage taken at the exact moment of the beer throwing? Impressive must be some sort of one of massive leap forward in technology as they couldn't identify the bloke at Marseille nor the Leicester fan who threw a bottle at me. Me thinks this might be more than a one off episode by fans but repeat behaviour and maybe not just throwing some beer in the air. If it was a single event then I am astounded.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The limbs video clearly showed at least one pint being thrown into the Ajax fans below the Albion section…….so not just “miserable old gits” being beer magnets.

Classic whataboutary with your mate getting covered in a pint of piss though :rolleyes:

I was quite impressed at how far some of them went. Good arm, could do with them in the outfield on the Sunday in the summer months.

Obviously some took it too far, but I find it pathetic moaning about things that in the grand scheme of things have not taken away one little bit from the experience and probably in a lot of cases added to it, in years to come whether you got hit or a drink spilt on you, you will say remember when we all went mental after x goal against Ajax. Yeh Dave got covered in beer and everyone will laugh about it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I can remember being slung out of the Goldstone more than once. Twice was for indulging in a "Knees Up Brighton Town" with the consequential tumbling down the terraces. You got slung out. Waited until the gates opened 15 mins or so before FT and head straight back in.

As with the "tumbling down the terraces", nobody died in the "luzzing of beer". Massive over-reaction by the club. I wish the FAB great luck with changing PBOBE's mind. He seems to love a banning order.
No minds will be changed they only want sanitised well behaved fans who spend loads in the club and concourses.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
For those who think chucking beakers of beer around is ok, when you go home to your mummies after school this afternoon, to be greeted with a cup of orange squash and two jammy dodgers.......ask her how pleased she is that your clothes stink of alcohol......?

I wouldn't only ban those who throw beer, I would takeaway their crayons and colouring books as well.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Wasn't at Ajax so can't comment on that but was in a fanzone in Paris for one of the England Euro 2016 games where premedidated "celebratory" beer luzzing was common, primarily by people "celebrating" in the most performative-hope-this-gets-on-social-media way. In my very humble opinion, a 5 match ban is fine - luzzing a pint of beer over a load of people is a massively self-important thing to do, and I don't buy that it can be spontaneous unless you aren't watching the game until the moment the goal-scoring kick happens and get caught unawares and even then you'd have to be a special kind of sociopath to think throwing your plastic pint glass full of beer is OK. Do they throw their phone that's in their hands too, or is it just their beer they magically lose control of? In assuming what you want is more important than the dozens of people you'll spray and annoy is a bit like busking badly with bongos through an amplifier on a sunny day in a residential area. It's not being uptight to be annoyed about it, it's having basic social awareness of how not to be a d*ck to the detriment of most people, and being annoyed when people who don't have that awareness think it's OK to spoil your good time.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So the club has pictures of every fan and can correlate them to some CCTV footage taken at the exact moment of the beer throwing? Impressive must be some sort of one of massive leap forward in technology as they couldn't identify the bloke at Marseille nor the Leicester fan who threw a bottle at me. Me thinks this might be more than a one off episode by fans but repeat behaviour and maybe not just throwing some beer in the air. If it was a single event then I am astounded.

I would be pretty confident that everyone who's been banned was identified and some action taken by the stewards inside the stadium on the night. Using CCTV to spot individuals where people aren't necessarily in their designated seat would be nigh on impossible, unless they are using facial recognition to ID people, which would be very worrying.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was quite impressed at how far some of them went. Good arm, could do with them in the outfield on the Sunday in the summer months.

Obviously some took it too far, but I find it pathetic moaning about things that in the grand scheme of things have not taken away one little bit from the experience and probably in a lot of cases added to it, in years to come whether you got hit or a drink spilt on you, you will say remember when we all went mental after x goal against Ajax. Yeh Dave got covered in beer and everyone will laugh about it.
I’ve seen plenty of teens / early twenties lads throwing beer on concourses at away games, thankfully I have stayed well away from them and not got covered. I’m sure many of our fans didn’t expect to get covered in beer at Ajax though, I can understand them being unhappy.
Probably enjoyable if you’re in your teens though and bank of mum and dad helped pay for the trip and beers. :smile:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As long it wasn’t you then, this is how these things work let’s all laugh at the poor sod who’s had to go home cold & stinking of sticky lager. It ruins someone’s enjoyment for the enjoyment of others.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
As long it wasn’t you then, this is how these things work let’s all laugh at the poor sod who’s had to go home cold & stinking of sticky lager. It ruins someone’s enjoyment for the enjoyment of others.

I lost 6 drinks for the second goal, but I don't feel the need to cry about it. All just part of the fun.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
For those who think chucking beakers of beer around is ok, when you go home to your mummies after school this afternoon, to be greeted with a cup of orange squash and two jammy dodgers.......ask her how pleased she is that your clothes stink of alcohol......?

I wouldn't only ban those who throw beer, I would takeaway their crayons and colouring books as well.
What if my mum's clothes smell of alcohol?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Could be that Ajax lodged a complaint against BHA for the breach of ground condition 8.3. The potential for UEFA sanctions against BHA, and other English clubs unless punishments were handed out may have forced their hand. Stewards hoiked out some individuals, assume they took details, and with CCTV as back up they'd be able to identify people doing the luzzing. Dare I say it, the club knows who a lot of the dickheads are.

Either way, how about not throwing beer in the first place?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here