Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not going to share the email from the club, or identify the individual by name, but I can 100% confirm one of my friends has been banned.

He was kicked out by an Ajax steward after the goal when the remnants of a pint was chucked and then handed over to Brighton Stewards and Darren Balkham. He was then banned from Sheff Utd at home 'pending investigation'. Yesterday he received notice he is banned for 5 home games and Athens Away.

I agree it isn't right to throw pints, but surely the punishment of being kicked out, and missing a home game is enough; all this while the club are posting videos saying "look at these limbs" all over their socials. Stinks of double standards but doubt Barber will budge.
Fair enough. And agreed thats a tough sanction for what might be a first offence - would a warning on the ground been sufficient ? (anyway we don't know the details) . . As for the limbs video - then thats 3000 fans celebrating - 99% of them or more just jumping up and down - hence limbs. Its a stretch to say its highlighting or celebrating glass throwing (you can see a couple of glasses in the air if you look closely) and thus even more to call it hypocrisy on clubs part.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It seems that ejection by the stewards is enough for the club to issue a ban. This does not seem outrageous to me.
Wait for the :-

'but, but, nobody said I'd be banned if I acted like a tw@t, we should get a warning first' excuse.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not going to share the email from the club, or identify the individual by name, but I can 100% confirm one of my friends has been banned.

He was kicked out by an Ajax steward after the goal when the remnants of a pint was chucked and then handed over to Brighton Stewards and Darren Balkham. He was then banned from Sheff Utd at home 'pending investigation'. Yesterday he received notice he is banned for 5 home games and Athens Away.

I agree it isn't right to throw pints, but surely the punishment of being kicked out, and missing a home game is enough; all this while the club are posting videos saying "look at these limbs" all over their socials. Stinks of double standards but doubt Barber will budge.
5 games is a lot better than 5 years, which is what I was expecting to hear. And yes, I thought that about the 'limbs' videos too. It's a bit 'look how mental we all went when we scored' (then we found the most mental and banned them).

It seems that ejection by the stewards is enough for the club to issue a ban. This does not seem outrageous to me.
A mixture of this is probably about where I'm at TBH. If they were kicked out during the game then 5 games is about right as you'd expect a ban for getting kicked out for other transgressions, especially if you were handed over to our stewards / police. At least it's not being done retrospectively as I'd feared on page 1.

But yeah, I have a lot of sympathy for Tom and Commander here. 'Oh look how mental we went. So mental we banned a couple of them'.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Possibly, who's to say? The club clearly want to stop this behaviour immediately, and therefore have made the punishment non-trivial. I'd be interested if everyone banned have been identified by Ajax themselves. I've not been able to find anything on the Ajax website about anti-social behaviour inside the ground.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think its worth noting as well they've had a massive clampdown on throwing stuff on the pitch in the Netherlands, so it might be more to do with that. If anything (even as little as a plastic cup) is thrown on the pitch the game is suspended for 20 minutes, then if it happens again the game is abandoned. I learnt this at the Telstar game after one of their fans told me to throw my cup on the pitch when they went 2-0 down to get the game abandoned :lolol: .

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
A mixture of this is probably about where I'm at TBH. If they were kicked out during the game then 5 games is about right as you'd expect a ban for getting kicked out for other transgressions, especially if you were handed over to our stewards / police. At least it's not being done retrospectively as I'd feared on page 1.

But yeah, I have a lot of sympathy for Tom and Commander here. 'Oh look how mental we went. So mental we banned a couple of them'.
Yeah its good it isn't being done via CCTV. A lot of pints went flying at Marseille and nothing was done, but then their Stewards were watching the game and smoking there.

Tfitz12

Jan 2, 2023
I think its worth noting as well they've had a massive clampdown on throwing stuff on the pitch in the Netherlands, so it might be more to do with that. If anything (even as little as a plastic cup) is thrown on the pitch the game is suspended for 20 minutes, then if it happens again the game is abandoned. I learnt this at the Telstar game after one of their fans told me to throw my cup on the pitch when they went 2-0 down to get the game abandoned :lolol: .
I recall the Ajax fan barman in the small pub we went to pre match mentioning it's a kinda 2 strikes and the games abandoned rule when it comes to stuff being thrown on pitch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If anyone is ejected from the ground by the home club's stewards, and handed over to our travelling officials /police, then the Albion pretty much have to be seen to be dealing with them appropriately.

If you turned it round, and say Palace came to the Amex, and our stewards identified a couple of trouble-makers and ejected them, and passed them to the CPFC travelling stewards. If we heard later that CPFC had just shrugged it off, and not punished them, we'd think that was unacceptable, wouldn't we?

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Not suprised at all that the club would do this. We will not tolerate any type of bad behaviour and we WILL take action
It’s a bit of a joke and another reason to stop coming for me

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I took an almost full pint at force to the arm, that clearly wasn’t thrown upwards, after the second goal. Closely followed by another one flying over my shoulder and hitting the back of the woman in front of me before going everywhere. First one almost caught my dad on the back of the head as well. Had the cup flown slightly to the left, and I hadn’t been punching the air in joy directly behind his head, our night would’ve ended in far less happy conditions.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Only 5, it's a shame it's not 50.
An old fella in front of me got half a pint over his head and clothes thanks to some oaf. Yeah, f*** 'em. Beer throwing on the terraces is pathetic.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely ridiculous if true. I like beer luzzing, looks cool on the highlights.

Obviously I don't like to be on the receiving end but it's just harmless fun. And we are not likely to be in a position to do it again in the near future if this wretched form continues.
Brilliant. You like throwing beer (over other people) but not having beer thrown on you. I think there is a word for that.

Don_Logan

Aug 10, 2023
The beer throwing in Marseille was much better/heavier than in Dam, but I didn't witness anyone crying afterwards???

Coincidence? Or did those having the online tantrums post Dam not have the cojones to head to Marseille???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Note also, from the vid he posted, @dwayne was in the home end, so no chance of any beer landing on him. His glee is a bit like that of a boy peeking through a fence to enjoy a dog fight involving someone else's dogs.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
If you threw it into the Ajax end, I have no sympathy. Dutch football has this problem every week and they are postponing games every time a beer is thrown onto the pitch with 4 games AT THE SAME TIME being stopped a few months ago. https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/223621266/vier-duels-stilgelegd-na-biergooien-doe-het-gewoon-niet .

I imagine this has come from Ajax themselves who rightly received complaints from the people below. Imagine we got battered by FC Groningen at home and some muppet chucks beer all over you. You would rightly be fuming.

I'd also rather not want to watch a game behind a net like Marseille again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The beer throwing in Marseille was much better/heavier than in Dam, but I didn't witness anyone crying afterwards???

Coincidence? Or did those having the online tantrums post Dam not have the cojones to head to Marseille???
D'you want some, or wot?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here