Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

el punal

I’m seeing reports that fans have had 5 match bans imposed for throwing beer when celebrating our goals against Ajax. Seems a massive overreaction by the club. It’s annoying and a waste of beer but this seems very heavy handed.
Well it’s not going to happen again is it, as taking alcohol to your seats is verboten - at least it is in England. Secondly, the knobheads that did it deserve another five match ban for stupidity - you pay north of six quid for a pint just to chuck it in the air FFS! :shootself

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I think if beer in the seats was normalised I suspect very few people would chuck it around as it would not be accepted !! Think it only happens as it's a bit of a novelty being able to drink in your seat.
Not so sure. Beer isn't banned on the concourses 'ordinarily' yet it's a regular occurence.

A nice, warm coffee on the other hand I could understand.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Absolutely ridiculous if true. I like beer luzzing, looks cool on the highlights.

Obviously I don't like to be on the receiving end but it's just harmless fun. And we are not likely to be in a position to do it again in the near future if this wretched form continues.
So you don’t want it to happen to you, but are delighted when it happens to others?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Unless they’ve got clear CCTV images it opens up a whole can of worms.

From picking my ticket up the one and only time I looked at it was at the turnstile, then just went with our group, I was probably near where I was supposed to sit (actually ended up directly behind Bozza) but couldn’t say if this was the seat I was supposed to be in.
So it was you standing in front of my seat.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
I found myself having to celebrate our second goal whilst ensuring to keep my cup steady in attempt not to lose any beer.

Funny enough, two minutes earlier I'd said to the person I was with that I'd have to drink up soon, in case we score!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'd sooner buy my own, thanks.

beer.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So no doubt for the AEK game, no alcohol will be on sale, by passing the able to drink on the concourse but not take to your seat.
As usual the actions of a few idiots will impact everyone else.

Hopefully wrong, we will see.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Idiots
So no doubt for the AEK game, no alcohol will be on sale, by passing the able to drink on the concourse but not take to your seat.

Already announced before, there is no alcohol at AEK.

At 7+ Euros a go I couldn't believe how many pints wasted, in this economy! Must be the youths?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

No alcohol at Athens was announced from the off. Well non-alcoholic drink will be served so guess luzzing that is still possible

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Well it’s not going to happen again is it, as taking alcohol to your seats is verboten - at least it is in England. Secondly, the knobheads that did it deserve another five match ban for stupidity - you pay north of six quid for a pint just to chuck it in the air FFS! :shootself
My instinct would be to protect my beer rather than luzz it - thankfully I bought beer after each of the goals so I didn't have to contend with spillage risk.

As for the bans, I wish the club would take a more gradual approach, formally warn the fans removed from the ground for such actions, then warn the fanbase generally, then implement the ban if it happends at the next game and increase it for fans that had the formal warning. Many will say "they shouldn't have to" but this is a unique experience, people are hyped up beyond levels ever expected as an albion fan and emotion makes people behave differently. Recognising that and making an initial allowance would be the sensible thing to do. Really dont like the 'setting and example' thing.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
In my humble opinion prevention is better than the cure. Just don't allow beer to be drunk at seats. Concourse is fine. Then you won't have individuals being given petty bans.
Agree with this & is why I wouldn't want to see drinking beer allowed in your seat.

el punal

Absolutely ridiculous if true. I like beer luzzing, looks cool on the highlights.

Obviously I don't like to be on the receiving end but it's just harmless fun. And we are not likely to be in a position to do it again in the near future if this wretched form continues.
So when it gets cold in January and February we can luzz cups of Bovril so everyone around can enjoy that warm, fuzzy feeling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here