Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax - Amsterdam

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Same here, I'd be climbing the walls before we even got out of the country on that thing.

Drive to the airport, few overpriced early morning liveners & then an hour flight. Absolute no brainer.

Good point, well made.

£350 to stay in a different country to the game and spend 7904 hours trundling along the motorway at 60mph. :lolol:
p220925_b_h10_ab.jpg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Fair play for them trying to sort something but is this really what Brighton fan want?

Why a 2 night stay in Antwerp?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I took my car on LeShuttle yesterday (I'm now near Utrecht). Despite it not being busy and us being at the Folkestone terminal over an hour before departure the process of clearing border control with every car being checked by British police caused delays.
We then of course needed to have passports stamped by the French passport control in Folkestone before driving on the train.
We missed our 12.20 departure and were put on the next train half an hour later which was no big deal, but it could be frustrating if you needed to be somewhere at a given time.
Basically, my point is that even when you are early at the terminal don't expect to be on time departing.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Fair play for them trying to sort something but is this really what Brighton fan want?

I'm guessing arrive Antwerp Wednesday evening ... on to Amsterdam Thursday morning and then back to Antwerp after the game. Then back home Friday.

They looked at doing it without any overnights and couldn't make it work.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm not sure I'm the Seagulls Travel demographic. I only use them when there's a train strike. But I have to agree with this. For me the ideal here would have been:

Marseilles - Here, staying outside the town would be good with a lot of people. Try to arrange charter flight to, say, Nice, people arrange hotels there coach to/from official buses so people can get back to Nice the same night, coach back to charter flight next day. One night stop. Would have been good with a lot of people looking for a safe option. Instead they've tried to book channel coach slots for a 30-40 hour round coach trip during the Rugby World Cup.

Amsterdam - straight in and out option for people who can't stay. I'm staying two nights but Amsterdam is where I want to stay, so much going on whether you're a family tourist or with a bunch of lads.

Athens - similar to Marseilles, charter flight, coach to ground / drop off, coach back to hotel, coach to airport. With the cost of direct flights now through the roof, surely this would be attractive to many?

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
2 nights in Antwerp? So a 100 mile/2 hour drive back after game and no pubs full of Albion the night before or after game!

We got Eurostar straight in to Amsterdam plus 2 nights at hotel next to central station for the same £350!
same. Eurostar Thursday am, 2 nights in a hotel very near the station and mid afternoon Saturday back on the eurostar. £176 train, £110 hotel.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Eurostar the best option I think as less likely to be delays and issues .

Maybe, but they’ve reduced Amsterdam frequency and it seems less of a ‘priority’ to Eurostar these days

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Maybe, but they’ve reduced Amsterdam frequency and it seems less of a ‘priority’ to Eurostar these days
I tried to book on staff pass this morning, and all the slots were full, so I’m gonna stick with Stena Line, clearly very popular. I think there are less slots on the line north of Brussels for Eurostar services to squeeze in around Local Services. Changing at Brussels to Thalys is pretty straight forward.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Fair play to them for organising that, but I've got flights from Heathrow & 2 nights in Amsterdam for less than £300.

Unless you were absolutely terrified of flying or didn't have anyone to go with then I can't fathom why you'd go for that option.
It’s not hard at all to fathom why some would prefer that option. You’ve still got to rely on public transport to get to Heathrow (not straightforward) or pay for 3 days parking, plus organise transport into Amsterdam and to the match from hotel and back again. I’m not saying these are difficult in themselves but some people would simply prefer the hassle-free option (as long as you don’t mind sitting on a coach for hours). If you’re relatively young and/or planning a couple of days on the lash with your mates in Amsterdam you’re a completely different demographic from those who’d prefer something a bit calmer and more dependable. Horses for courses.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I personally hate sitting on a coach for hours . I never understand why people pay money to sit on a coach to do a tour overseas . I guess you don’t have to worry about arrangements but for me that’s what grannies do .

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I took my car on LeShuttle yesterday (I'm now near Utrecht). Despite it not being busy and us being at the Folkestone terminal over an hour before departure the process of clearing border control with every car being checked by British police caused delays.
We then of course needed to have passports stamped by the French passport control in Folkestone before driving on the train.
We missed our 12.20 departure and were put on the next train half an hour later which was no big deal, but it could be frustrating if you needed to be somewhere at a given time.
Basically, my point is that even when you are early at the terminal don't expect to be on time departing.

Lucky you. Utrecht is gorgeous in the sun!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wasn't there heightened checks yesterday due to the prisoner escape though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here