Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Airbus tells UK employees a vote to leave EU could make it rethink future

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
since climate change and big finance both require global efforts to address them, being in the EU is a no benefit. in fact what we have seen is attempt to be seen to address the issues at a european level have been disasters for both issues (emissions focused on CO2 at expense of air quality; banking rules on asset classes forcing them to accept poor eurozone debt, perpetuating the soveriegn debt crisis).

im not sure how EU aims to "sort out the little Englanders", if indeed this is a problem that warrants EU level attention, more likely they be able to claim their human rights are being abused.

Yawn. Think regional or continental organisations might be a better option than declining nation states, but you carry on

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Remain offers the better option to sort out climate change
Remain offers the better option to sort out big finance
Remain offers the best option to sort out little englanders

Positive, positive, positive.

Little Englanders?. Pathetic little man.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's all getting a bit desperate from the Remainers. For years the Remain campaigners had this smug image of Brexit supporters fuelled by fear of immigration, fear of Johnny Foreigner and a vast consumption of Daily Mail bullshit being the negative, fearful ones. Well, this campaign has turned everything on its head. It's the Brexiteers who see a new hope and a positive future and the Remain camp just don't seem able to put together a cogent positive campaign and ironically are playing on people's fear of the unknown. If anyone has a closed mind, it's them.

On this, I think I agree with you, and I think you'll win

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Carry on in fantasy land on that one. Vote leave wins and wave bye bye to Scotland. Then the little englanders will be able to say that we've got the tenth, eleventh, twelfth, ... largest economy and we'll really be able to sort out all these trade deals to our benefit. Meanwhile the world keeps spinning

Wave goodbye to Scotland? And this is a bad thing? I keep on telling you, that Little Englander insult has about as much currency as a Zimbabwean dollar. You carry on saying it if it makes you feel better and stops you from having to consider the real reason why so many British people are considering to vote for a Brexit. It's you who's in fantasy land on that one.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Where is all this positivity that the Leave camp have come up with? So far all I have seen is accusations of scaremongering and 'Project Fear' followed by their own attempt at scaremongering followed by accusations of scaremongering and 'Project Fear'. As far as I can see there is no clear vision of what the country will look like out of the EU. Just a load of shaky promises that nothing will change from before apart from their will be more barbed wire on the cliff tops and a bigger que at the dole office. Not my idea of paradise. Think I'll stick with the Erasmus programme, enshrined workers rights and standing with our fellow Europeans at a time when we should be standing together, not drawing lines on the map. Isolationism has a terrible history and would be a sad route for our country to follow.

I also reckon Andrew Rawnsley is right about this, if you are whinging, you are losing. See the Scottish referendum and Labour's election defeat as recent evidence.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Think regional or continental organisations might be a better option than declining nation states

try explaining that to the rest of the world outside the EU, where most the pollution and population is.

and sorry to have bored you, it was a bit easy, if you try a more challenging arguement i'll do my best to join in.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wave goodbye to Scotland? And this is a bad thing? I keep on telling you, that Little Englander insult has about as much currency as a Zimbabwean dollar. You carry on saying it if it makes you feel better and stops you from having to consider the real reason why so many British people are considering to vote for a Brexit. It's you who's in fantasy land on that one.

I'm not that attached to Scotland remaining in the UK but suspect that you are but, as I say, vote leave and that's what will happen. We can even return to this exchange in the build up to it and see who is the most fantastical

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
try explaining that to the rest of the world outside the EU, where most the pollution and population is.

and sorry to have bored you, it was a bit easy, if you try a more challenging arguement i'll do my best to join in.

You'll be able to provide evidence for your assertions on this one, both for the current state of play and the direction of travel.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm not that attached to Scotland remaining in the UK but suspect that you are butl

Nope, to paraphrase Peter Mandelson I'm intensely relaxed about Scotland leaving the Union, just so long as we get to keep the flag. I bloody love the Union Flag, it's quite beautiful.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Nope, to paraphrase Peter Mandelson I'm intensely relaxed about Scotland leaving the Union, just so long as we get to keep the flag. I bloody love the Union Flag, it's quite beautiful.

Do you just love it's pretty colours and design then? You clearly don't understand what it means.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Do you just love it's pretty colours and design then? You clearly don't understand what it means.

Ooh! Patronising. You're reading far too much into a throwaway comment. Of course I'm aware of the significance of the colours/design (I doubt there are too many native born Brits who aren't aware) and if I can return the bitchy comments right back atcha - it doesn't sound as if you knew that we would have kept the blue in the flag even if Scotland ceded from the Union.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You'll be able to provide evidence for your assertions on this one, both for the current state of play and the direction of travel.

??? seriously, you want some evidence that most world pollution and population is outside the EU :moo: think i'll leave it.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Scotland have lost a lot of respect since the SNP started voting in English issues. I think the Union is on borrowed time but I think its one issue at a time. Who knows what will happen if we leave, a few others might like the idea and follow suit, then we can set up a decent trading system without the bureaucratic political nonsense of Brussels. I look forward to the challenge of the unknown

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I'm not that attached to Scotland remaining in the UK but suspect that you are but, as I say, vote leave and that's what will happen. We can even return to this exchange in the build up to it and see who is the most fantastical

The SNP have since accepted that during the referendum campaign they exaggerated how much money Scotland could earn from oil (by over 13 times) and that was before the current price crash.

The SNP would also have to explain to the Scots why joining the euro is now the best option, given that it was not the choice they wanted to offer them previously.

If Scotland was so pro EU they would have offered the euro........they are not, Brexit won't change that.

Broadly the SNP is an anti Labour vote, not an pro Independence vote.........the referendum was proof of that.

Very poor effort.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Of course they would with the collapse in oil prices and the biggest deficit in Europe, makes perfect sense.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No doubt [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] is trawling the farther reaches of the Internet as I type to find a random blog from someone no one has ever heard but who knows more about what is best for Airbus than their 6 executives do.

well since he was banned from the other EU thread i thought you would be happy to hear his thoughts again.
gives you a whole new set of opportunities to report his posts again :thumbsup:

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Scotland have lost a lot of respect since the SNP started voting in English issues. I think the Union is on borrowed time but I think its one issue at a time. Who knows what will happen if we leave, a few others might like the idea and follow suit, then we can set up a decent trading system without the bureaucratic political nonsense of Brussels. I look forward to the challenge of the unknown

Great idea! Why don't we call it the European Economic Community?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Unlikely that that will happen but, again, you've surprised me.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I have seen dreadful campaigns from both sides of the divide. I'm loathe to call it a debate as there's been nothing but drivel from each camp.

We've had an email from our VC stating the uni's position, and as a consequence there's going to be a full debate on the issue with all staff and students invited.

There will be presentations from both sides, which is the way it should be done.

I take it your uni isn't one of those that regularly bans speakers for holding alternative opinions or has safe rooms to report microaggressions?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here