Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Affordable tattoo removal, the growth industry of the 2030’s?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It’s the obvious big industry after all the poor to very poor life choices millions have made over the last 20 years

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've got most of both arms covered from shoulder to wrist and I can honestly say that I've never considered how they'll look when I'm 80.

It'll be different for everyone but I've always looked at mine as a kind of map of my life. I can look at each piece and be reminded of the idiot I was in my early twenties who got a star and a bit of Chinese text, both of which have since been covered over with new tattoos. Or I can look at the upper half of my left arm which is covered in musical stuff and be reminded of various bands I was in and gigs I'd played.

I like that I've got a physical link, etched into my skin, between the various people I've been and am yet to become.
That's great. My mate's son (who lives in America now) is an amazing tattooist, and is himself covered literally head to toe.

Neither Mrs T nor I have any, for the same reason: they are permanent, and we like to change things around. We change our hair styles and clothes on a whim. We fear that a tattoo has a permanence to it that would be deeply unsettling. We appreciate this is an example of the Familiarity Backfire Effect but our heels are now deeply dug in. We struggle with rearranging our perceptual/cognitive field :lolol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The use of gotten in written English in England is far more worrying than someone colouring themselves in.
O/T: Oooh, I hope you don't think that because you think it's a dreadful Americanism? Like 'dropped' for 'released' and 'Can I get' rather than 'Please may I have?' It's older than the USA, it's one of many Old English words that have survived in America but have fallen out of use here. 'Fall' for Autumn and 'Skedaddle' being two others.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
O/T: Oooh, I hope you don't think that because you think it's a dreadful Americanism? Like 'dropped' for 'released' and 'Can I get' rather than 'Please may I have?' It's older than the USA, it's one of many Old English words that have survived in America but have fallen out of use here. 'Fall' for Autumn and 'Skedaddle' being two others.
I'm aware of its historic use. It sounds wrong, reads wrong and makes the listener/reader think of crap American TV.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm aware of its historic use. It sounds wrong, reads wrong and makes the listener/reader think of crap American TV.
Have you gone and gotten your knickers in a twist? Sorry, panties. :wink:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes - and there are many words once commonly used in English which are arcane now. 'Gotten' does survive in 'English English' in the phrase 'ill-gotten gains', but in any other context it sounds American - because that is what it us now.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I like skedaddle. Great word

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Yes - and there are many words once commonly used in English which are arcane now. 'Gotten' does survive in 'English English' in the phrase 'ill-gotten gains', but in any other context it sounds American - because that is what it us now.
Gotten under the skin, eh? :whistle:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It'll be different for everyone but I've always looked at mine as a kind of map of my life. I can look at each piece and be reminded of the idiot I was in my early twenties who got a star and a bit of Chinese text, both of which have since been covered over with new tattoos. Or I can look at the upper half of my left arm which is covered in musical stuff and be reminded of various bands I was in and gigs I'd played.

Photographs.

The thing you could have used was photographs.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I had a couple done when it made you stand out from the crowd. My mother detested them. I took a long time choosing what I wanted done (chose a design and waited six months) and made sure that they were able to be covered when inappropriate. I still actually like the designs that I have had on my upper arms for about 30 years.

These days it seems people have them done with little forethought, designs that do not sit well together or are just going to date extraordinarily badly and in ridiculous places on their body. Each to their own I guess, but believe that many will regret their choices.

I regret my choice. Not of the designs, but because it looks like I want to be just another one of the herd. In reality it was the complete opposite, I wanted to be different, I would rather have clean skin now.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

A friend was lamenting the other day that his 30 something daughter, whose forever moaning about household bills etc, then unveiled her latest inking, a leg sleeve, a relative ‘snip’ at £1,200.

In my day it was Sailors and Criminals, no one else 😂

A leg sleeve for £1,200 is pretty cheap tbh. Depends on colours and the amount of detail work but it's going to be 3-4 days work and £300-£400 a day is cheap for a quality tattooist.

Under normal circumstances, the tattoo is going to be with you for 30+ years. My first was when I was 18, 42 years ago (I have only 2).

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022

I know at 59 I‘m deemed, by several members of my own family, a dinosaur, but seriously?

I saw Machine Gun Kelly on SNL once, not really a fan of his music but clearly he’s a talented lad in his specific field, but this latest life choice is to an old git like me, staggering.

A friend was lamenting the other day that his 30 something daughter, whose forever moaning about household bills etc, then unveiled her latest inking, a leg sleeve, a relative ‘snip’ at £1,200.

In my day it was Sailors and Criminals, no one else 😂
🤣

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whenever the discussion about the merits of tattoos arises I’m always drawn to this lady. Thread closed.
82AA8B9D-AB38-4AE9-8CCA-0CE4863F5864.jpeg

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
When I was living abroad in the early 00s, I almost got a tattoo. I'd drawn it out and found a renowned local tattooist. I thought it was pretty unique (a spiral in a sunburst - symbols used in various indigenous cultures of the Americas - yes I had ethnic envy). When I was visiting the UK on holiday, I bought the paper to look at the pages of job adverts (remember those?). I noticed that Watford Borough Council were using it as a logo, then I saw it on deckchairs, Walls ice cream and all over the place. A lucky escape.

The only tattoo I think I'd get now is an old Fulham badge, like the one in the lower left of my avatar - something that I know I'll never want inked over. I have seen some amazing tattoos of animals but there's no personal connection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here