Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] AFC Wimbledon- MK Dons

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
MK stole Wimbledon’s FL place that had been earned by their years in non league. Btw the real Wimbledon also went on to earn a place in the FL again. Something MK have never done. AFC aren’t a protest club. They are the club representing Wimbledon. Would you be ok with someone stealing Brighton’s place ? It may be a stupid wind up I guess because nobody is that thick.
On another note I read this today ; https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67832071

What a snake !
To be honest, much as I dislike the idea of football clubs moving, trying to reduce the number of people killed in Northern Ireland every year by giving them something to bond over might be one of the few reasons why I can understand somebody considering it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be honest, much as I dislike the idea of football clubs moving, trying to reduce the number of people killed in Northern Ireland every year by giving them something to bond over might be one of the few reasons why I can understand somebody considering it.
I suspect NB saw the headline and didn’t read the full story.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Thinking that people killing each other could be solved by giving them a football club is a bit naive for my taste. Taking a club away from its local supporters is a bit snake in the grass for my taste.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I suspect NB saw the headline and didn’t read the full story.
Yes, I looked at the story and, although impractical, I could see there were good intentions behind it.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I might agree that I can understand it being proposed, but I can’t agree that it would have been a good idea. Who’s to say that the club wouldn’t immediately be claimed by, say, the Loyalists and simultaneously dismissed by the Republicans as Westminster meddling? Far from reducing violence, imagine a big influx of away fans every other week from London, Liverpool, Manchester… each bringing their own brand of intimidation and sectarian chanting? Bloody nightmare.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Thinking that people killing each other could be solved by giving them a football club is a bit naive for my taste. Taking a club away from its local supporters is a bit snake in the grass for my taste.
This was the time the Good Friday Agreement was being signed, I don't think "naive" comes into it.
I'd save my ire for the actual move to Milton Keynes.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I might agree that I can understand it being proposed, but I can’t agree that it would have been a good idea. Who’s to say that the club wouldn’t immediately be claimed by, say, the Loyalists and simultaneously dismissed by the Republicans as Westminster meddling? Far from reducing violence, imagine a big influx of away fans every other week from London, Liverpool, Manchester… each bringing their own brand of intimidation and sectarian chanting? Bloody nightmare.
I don't think it was a good idea. And presumably they decided it wasn't at the time because otherwise they would have pushed for it more forceably at the time.

Obviously a different sport, but the Belfast Giants Ice Hockey team was set up around the same time and as far as I know has been successful in attracting fans from both sides of the divide and presenting itself as a "Belfast" team rather than anything sectarian.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This was the time the Good Friday Agreement was being signed, I don't think "naive" comes into it.
I'd save my ire for the actual move to Milton Keynes.
I don’t really have any ire. Just a bit of resignation that there were other malign influences trying to kill off football in Wimbledon. Not just Milton Keynes buffaloes or whatever they want to be called.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don't think it was a good idea. And presumably they decided it wasn't at the time because otherwise they would have pushed for it more forceably at the time.

Obviously a different sport, but the Belfast Giants Ice Hockey team was set up around the same time and as far as I know has been successful in attracting fans from both sides of the divide and presenting itself as a "Belfast" team rather than anything sectarian.
Not anywhere near a like for like comparison. The vitriol and partisanship of football and hockey support are worlds apart and even more so 25 years ago.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
They'd have had to have seperate sections for home fans based on which Sky Fairy they were aligned to. The way they hated/hate each other you could see trouble all the time and ending up with away fans only matches as all the home fans were banned!
It's the same Sky Fairy. Crazy but true.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm all for keeping politics out of football, but this idea was clearly NEVER going to fly.

'A memo dated 16 July, 1998 - just months after the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement was signed - indicated Mr Blair was keen on the idea.
It recorded Mr Blair's view was that "it would be excellent if Wimbledon were to move to Belfast and we should encourage this as much as possible".
However, another note, dated 17 August, 1998, described the matter as being at a "delicate stage", recording that the Irish football authorities "continue to resist the idea strongly".'

Nice of them to take other opinions onboard...

Meanwhile:

'It said that local newspapers have welcomed it, and that TV presenter Eamonn Holmes "has been active in collecting public support".'

Just what it needed, I'm sure!

No wonder 'Jim Boyce, who was president of the Irish Football Association at the time, told Radio 5 Live on Thursday that the idea was "pie in the sky".'

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm all for keeping politics out of football, but this idea was clearly NEVER going to fly.

'A memo dated 16 July, 1998 - just months after the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement was signed - indicated Mr Blair was keen on the idea.
It recorded Mr Blair's view was that "it would be excellent if Wimbledon were to move to Belfast and we should encourage this as much as possible".
However, another note, dated 17 August, 1998, described the matter as being at a "delicate stage", recording that the Irish football authorities "continue to resist the idea strongly".'

Nice of them to take other opinions onboard...

Meanwhile:

'It said that local newspapers have welcomed it, and that TV presenter Eamonn Holmes "has been active in collecting public support".'

Just what it needed, I'm sure!

No wonder 'Jim Boyce, who was president of the Irish Football Association at the time, told Radio 5 Live on Thursday that the idea was "pie in the sky".'
Thank you. It's almost as if journalists are valued members of the community that can dig around for surrounding information to enhance our understanding of issues that generate instantaneous responses.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Not anywhere near a like for like comparison. The vitriol and partisanship of football and hockey support are worlds apart and even more so 25 years ago.
Oh sorry, I missed this response.
Yes I know it's not anything near a like for like comparison. That's so obvious I didn't consider it worth pointing out.
There are plenty of cases across many sports in Ireland of people from different backgrounds supporting the same team. The relevance of the hockey comparison is simply that it is in Belfast and started at the same time as they were briefly considering moving a football team there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Giants are exactly that. My friend’s son plays for their junior team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here