[Albion] AEK Athens - ticketing process, tiers and all that jazz

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
That's expensive.... Just had a look and you can get tue-fri for 140 (Stansted/Luton)

Wed - Fri ....200 leaving from Stansted coming back to Gatwick.

Generally prices don't seem that expensive to me for an 8 hour round-trip.
Wednesday early (out Stanstead) back to Gatwick on the Friday evening are the flights we are taking too.

Yes, we have to factor in getting to Stanstead, but for our group, including getting to Stanstead cost for travel is under £160.00 pp

Would add - this was booked on the Saturday 2nd am, about 15 minutes after we knew the exact dates of each game.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Wednesday early (out Stanstead) back to Gatwick on the Friday evening are the flights we are taking too.

Yes, we have to factor in getting to Stanstead, but for our group, including getting to Stanstead cost for travel is under £160.00 pp

Would add - this was booked on the Saturday 2nd am, about 15 minutes after we knew the exact dates of each game.
I'm doing Ryanair wed evening - 100 quid and BA 1.45pm Friday back free with avios. I chose BA as i have a flight with them to Miami the next day so if they bugger up they can sort it !!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If anyone is getting trains to/from Stansted/Luton/Heathrow etc, can throughly recommend a relatively new app called trainpal (I used to use trainline.or national rail) it will automatically do split tickets where possible, so you can still stay on same train but save a decent amount of wedge, by buying singles/returns in stages AtoB-BtoC, rather than A-C. Saving £10-£20 on most trips so far.

Nicks

If anyone is getting trains to/from Stansted/Luton/Heathrow etc, can throughly recommend a relatively new app called trainpal (I used to use trainline.or national rail) it will automatically do split tickets where possible, so you can still stay on same train but save a decent amount of wedge, by buying singles/returns in stages AtoB-BtoC, rather than A-C. Saving £10-£20 on most trips so far.
Trainsplit is the best app by far

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Cheers, need to get to Stansted

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I reckon they were cleared out around 12 minutes beforehand, thereby enabling plenty of time for some to be re-basketed by T1 and T2 fans before the buy button turned green for T3 people. That would have worked fine, except they wrongly kept the buy button green for T1 and T2.
There were plenty of T2 like me legitimately waiting until 2pm to buy with a T3 friend. The buy button would be green for T1, 2 &3 at 2pm as all those would be able to buy. The problem was as many have said that baskets were not cleared immediately before 2pm.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
There were plenty of T2 like me legitimately waiting until 2pm to buy with a T3 friend. The buy button would be green for T1, 2 &3 at 2pm as all those would be able to buy. The problem was as many have said that baskets were not cleared immediately before 2pm.
Their past practice was to empty baskets well before the window opening and to grey out the buy box for all until the window opened. They correctly cleared baskets, but failed to stop T1 and T2 refilling.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Trainsplit is the best app by far
Trainline does this now. The big boys have, unsurprisingly, caught up.

I’ve even found they hit a sweet spot where they are able to knock £20 per person off a ticket but only split it so you get around four tickets per person.

The original split apps saved you money and were really popular with football fans but you’d end up with a huge pile of tickets like War and Peace, that you’d have to stop sticking together, getting out of order or losing the info from the strip.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Has anybody heard when any returns for AEK away go on sale? My son has a ticket and I missed out in the T3 scramble. We're desperate to go together – he's had a tough time of late – but doesn't want to go on his own. He also doesn't want to return his ticket until such time that he knows for sure that I won't get one.

Been checking in with the club but they're not saying.

Any help gratefully received!

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Has anybody heard when any returns for AEK away go on sale? My son has a ticket and I missed out in the T3 scramble. We're desperate to go together – he's had a tough time of late – but doesn't want to go on his own. He also doesn't want to return his ticket until such time that he knows for sure that I won't get one.

For Ajax the club announced a deadline for ticket returns that was 2-3 weeks before the game. This resulted in about 40 tickets ‘silently’ becoming available the day after the deadline. So far, nothing has been communicated about AEK.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

As mentioned above - I've not heard anything yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to have something similar to the Ajax "please let us know if you can't go" communication this week now that Supporter Services have staffing Ajax and the Sheffield United game behind them.

I need to make my own decision on whether I'm going or not and I know I'm not alone in that.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
For Ajax the club announced a deadline for ticket returns that was 2-3 weeks before the game. This resulted in about 40 tickets ‘silently’ becoming available the day after the deadline. So far, nothing has been communicated about AEK.
Yeah, I worked out that based on the email that went out for the Ajax game, there should have been a deadline of yesterday and tickets going on sale today but still nothing. Guess I'll have to sit tight.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As mentioned above - I've not heard anything yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to have something similar to the Ajax "please let us know if you can't go" communication this week now that Supporter Services have staffing Ajax and the Sheffield United game behind them.

I need to make my own decision on whether I'm going or not and I know I'm not alone in that.
If/when the club make that communication, can you post that here please.

Also checking a few times per day.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yeah, I worked out that based on the email that went out for the Ajax game, there should have been a deadline of yesterday and tickets going on sale today but still nothing. Guess I'll have to sit tight.
Load up the 'Mens Away Matches' ticket page and keep that open in your browser. Keep refreshing it hourly / as often as you can. Bit of a pain, but if the page is open, it literally takes five seconds each time. Fingers crossed for you that a ticket pops up.

Having just had the privilege of doing Ajax with one of my lads, I hope you get to experience similar (hopefully with much better weather!).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Load up the 'Mens Away Matches' ticket page and keep that open in your browser. Keep refreshing it hourly / as often as you can. Bit of a pain, but if the page is open, it literally takes five seconds each time. Fingers crossed for you that a ticket pops up.

Having just had the privilege of doing Ajax with one of my lads, I hope you get to experience similar (hopefully with much better weather!).
I've got blocked twice for doing it, system thinks you're a robot. But nothing VPN can't mitigate.

Original ip seems to reset again and work a while later, if you do get blocked.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton

Thanks for this. Yes, had a tab open for weeks now and constantly refreshing! Thanks for the kind words and fingers crossed!

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I'm doing Ryanair wed evening - 100 quid and BA 1.45pm Friday back free with avios. I chose BA as i have a flight with them to Miami the next day so if they bugger up they can sort it !!
Just to be clear and warn you ahead of time - they don't because they're (most likely if I understand your post) separate bookings. If you'd booked one flight booking from Athens to Miami with a change / layover in London, yes you're right they'd have to sort it. This is whats called a connecting flight.

But if your Athens flight home is delayed and you miss the new flight to Miami, from what I understand about the rules, that isn't actually their problem as you've taken responsibility by booking flights on separate bookings. This is a 'self connection' and not covered.

So if your athens 1.45pm flight is cancelled or heavily delayed - they have to get you home (to London or whatever airport you booked to?) either on a later flight with them, or an alternative airline + award compensation depending on circumstances and total delay. But they don't then have to rebook you to Miami if you miss that flight. As that will be considered as *you* missing the flight. They might be nice, but they don't legally have to, and ergo prob won't care at all.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The game is in a little over a fortnight - as Bozza says I'd be very surprised if there wasn't some kind of communication this week (next couple of days) from the club about 'if you can't make it let us know'....with returns going on sale shortly afterwards.

Good Luck to those still needing a ticket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports