[Albion] AEK Athens - ticketing process, tiers and all that jazz

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Just to be clear and warn you ahead of time - they don't because they're (most likely if I understand your post) separate bookings. If you'd booked one flight booking from Athens to Miami with a change / layover in London, yes you're right they'd have to sort it. This is whats called a connecting flight.

But if your Athens flight home is delayed and you miss the new flight to Miami, from what I understand about the rules, that isn't actually their problem as you've taken responsibility by booking flights on separate bookings. This is a 'self connection' and not covered.

So if your athens 1.45pm flight is cancelled or heavily delayed - they have to get you home (to London or whatever airport you booked to?) either on a later flight with them, or an alternative airline + award compensation depending on circumstances and total delay. But they don't then have to rebook you to Miami if you miss that flight. As that will be considered as *you* missing the flight. They might be nice, but they don't legally have to, and ergo prob won't care at all.
To be fair to BA they're pretty good with this kind of thing, I'm fairly sure they would sort me if it went horribly
wrong.

Very unlikely scenario anyway!!

I just looked at the one way cost of ticket for that Athens to London flight and it's £495 so I'm guessing it's near enough full. So they won't mess with it u less something severe happens.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be fair to BA they're pretty good with this kind of thing, I'm fairly sure they would sort me if it went horribly
wrong.

I just looked at the one way cost of ticket for that Athens to London flight and it's £495 so I'm guessing it's near enough full. So they won't mess with it u less something severe happens.
They 100% won't. I had a colleague who did a similar thing to save some money by flying from the continent on a business class flight, he had to pay for a new ticket when he missed his middle flight

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
wrong.

As the poster you are replying to has said, if you are on separate booking reference numbers and you miss a connection, unless you are VERY lucky, you're on your own. Going back years if you missed a connection or a flight, airlines would book you on the next available often without a fuss. Not anymore, they are brutal with the T&Cs. This includes checking in transfer baggage through a connecting airport. Even if you had two BA flights but on two reference numbers, they won't check your bags through to the final destination.

One of the big risks of booking cheap flights with third party providers. The likes of Kiwi.Com and others will cobble together separate flights with often iffy connections on separate booking numbers. This entails collecting luggage, clearing immigration, then the check-in process plus security etc at any connecting airport. All fine until it goes belly up. If you've booked via a third party the airline customer services aren't going to be interested if you've missed a connection. You'll be attempting to deal with an offshore call centre somewhere. Despite their name, in the case of Kiwi.Com, their call centre is in Prague. Calling there from a UK mobile in Asia or wherever won't come cheap.

Booking a seamless flight direct with the airline might be a little pricier, but if things go wrong the airline will sort everything if on the same booking number.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
As the poster you are replying to has said, if you are on separate booking reference numbers and you miss a connection, unless you are VERY lucky, you're on your own. Going back years if you missed a connection or a flight, airlines would book you on the next available often without a fuss. Not anymore, they are brutal with the T&Cs. This includes checking in transfer baggage through a connecting airport. Even if you had two BA flights but on two reference numbers, they won't check your bags through to the final destination.

One of the big risks of booking cheap flights with third party providers. The likes of Kiwi.Com and others will cobble together separate flights with often iffy connections on separate booking numbers. This entails collecting luggage, clearing immigration, then the check-in process plus security etc at any connecting airport. All fine until it goes belly up. If you've booked via a third party the airline customer services aren't going to be interested if you've missed a connection. You'll be attempting to deal with an offshore call centre somewhere. Despite their name, in the case of Kiwi.Com, their call centre is in Prague. Calling there from a UK mobile in Asia or wherever won't come cheap.

Booking a seamless flight direct with the airline might be a little pricier, but if things go wrong the airline will sort everything if on the same booking number.
Well just for clarity

-both my bookings were direct with BA

-the flights were booked at different times. I already had a holiday to Miami booked from London. Then we got drawn against Athens.

Despite the doubts above I'm still reasonably confident that if I turned up at Athens airport and BA screwed the flight up last minute they would change my Miami flight free of charge as there's so many flights going there.

Regardless if the Athens flight was fooked I would find an alternative way back to London same day. And take the compensation.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I just got a ticket this morning so keep refreshing! Was also expecting higher tiers to receive a refund email (I have only got 25 points so my 200+ friend was going to notify me). Obviously can't tell if it was a refunded ticket and why it became available.

Long story short, don't wait for communication from the club. Just keep refreshing every so often.

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I just got a ticket this morning so keep refreshing! Was also expecting higher tiers to receive a refund email (I have only got 25 points so my 200+ friend was going to notify me). Obviously can't tell if it was a refunded ticket and why it became available.

Long story short, don't wait for communication from the club. Just keep refreshing every so often.
*Maybe from one of the beer throwing bans lol

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Just had email come through to ask if I am still attending - deadline is midday on Friday 17th

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Dear Darren,

We are keen to ensure all ticket holders for Athens away are still able to attend the match.

If for any reason you are unable to attend, please email us by return with your fan number and confirm which tickets you are unable to use by midday on Friday 17 November. This will allow another fan to attend in your place.

No refunds are available but failure to attend the match could result in future match ticket sanctions.

Thank you for your support

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Dear Darren,

We are keen to ensure all ticket holders for Athens away are still able to attend the match.

If for any reason you are unable to attend, please email us by return with your fan number and confirm which tickets you are unable to use by midday on Friday 17 November. This will allow another fan to attend in your place.

No refunds are available but failure to attend the match could result in future match ticket sanctions.

Thank you for your support
Just got this as well.....

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Looking forward to this. Expect will be different from our first 2 aways but sure will be equally superb.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Never give up hope, (as I’ve mentioned no doubt numerous times on here) the boy picked up a single while we were in the departure lounge at Heathrow.

When he got to his seat, the two lads there said “oh got your ticket this morning eh?” and went on to tell him their mate had to cancel late.

They left early in the match to no doubt stand with other mates but they wouldn’t have got much more than a grunt out of him anyway (he’s 14) so therefore if anyone knows the lad in question, or if he’s reading this himself, a) commiserations you couldn’t make the match b) rest assured the ticket ended in the hands of a very greatful and (IMO) deserving fan.c) if I ever see you at The Amex this happy dad will buy you a beer.
So as painful as returning a ticket is it’s a good thing to do.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Never give up hope, (as I’ve mentioned no doubt numerous times on here) the boy picked up a single while we were in the departure lounge at Heathrow.

When he got to his seat, the two lads there said “oh got your ticket this morning eh?” and went on to tell him their mate had to cancel late.

They left early in the match to no doubt stand with other mates but they wouldn’t have got much more than a grunt out of him anyway (he’s 14) so therefore if anyone knows the lad in question, or if he’s reading this himself, a) commiserations you couldn’t make the match b) rest assured the ticket ended in the hands of a very greatful and (IMO) deserving fan.c) if I ever see you at The Amex this happy dad will buy you a beer.
I will happily buy some lovely person several drinks of their choice if I can land a ticket and go with my son.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This is EXACTLY why people should quit moaning about having to email their non-attendance and not getting a refund. You two got the chance to go together and have the memory for a lifetime.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is EXACTLY why people should quit moaning about having to email their non-attendance and not getting a refund. You two got the chance to go together and have the memory for a lifetime.
Exactly.

If nobody had returned their Ajax tickets, I'd not have experienced that trip with my lad. I'm very, very grateful that they did so.

(Sorry we didn't run into you and Adam out there)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports