[Albion] AEK Athens FC vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Brutal tear-gassing at the end, definitely the worst experience I’ve had at football and that makes me so sad as someone who spends a lot of time in Greece
Seems a bit dramatic. It wasn’t pleasant but you make it sound as if the police had it in for the Albion fans when they were using it to disperse AEK fans outside for our safety. Hate seeing all those riot police at games but they seemed friendly enough. If they wanted to be twats they could have got heavier handed with the tiny number of the Albion crowd intent on stirring things up by the plexiglass and netting. Don’t think there’s much cause to moan about them, unless you had a completely different experience.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I know I'm biased, but we are better than Marseille, AEK and Ajax. We should never have lost to AEK.
Yeah, but football doesn't always work like that... Man City are the best team on the planet but have dropped points in 4 league games out of 13

That first game was partly down to European inexperience, too. Players have said as much since.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Roberto De Zerbi

"We feel great emotion."

"We didn't play well, we didn't play in our usual style. It was a tough match. We showed a different mentality tonight, showcasing our soul and resilience."

"It was an historic day for Brighton, for the club and our fans."

"We are not used to winning in this way. Usually we lose games despite playing better than the opponent – just the way AEK lost tonight."

"Today AEK were better that us, but for once we won such a type of match."

"Now our ambition is to top the group. We have to defeat Marseille – and they are a great team, just like AEK."

Lewis Dunk

"It is a massive evening for the club and everyone involved, the players and the fans, a result we will always remember."

"We knew before coming here it would be a tough game in a big atmosphere."

"We had to show grit and determination. We didn't play how we like to play, it's not the football we usually play. But sometimes you win in another way."

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In an Alfred Hitchcock inspired Wine Bar round the corner from the Pantheon, talking bollox with Jnr, while being surprised every time they serve us another beer, after 1am.

Happy dayz.

Last edited:

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
but second place finish will still see us get to the Europa League knock out playoffs - just means an extra lot of fixtures in February 😕

Edit - We could face West Ham in a second finish play off but not Liverpool at least.
I don't think we'll be playing West Ham either - if I recall correctly, teams from the same country can't play each other until the quarter-finals.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I don't think we'll be playing West Ham either - if I recall correctly, teams from the same country can't play each other until the quarter-finals.
Yep, that is true, I had forgotten the different trajectory

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I know I'm biased, but we are better than Marseille, AEK and Ajax. We should never have lost to AEK.
Even a draw against them would have left us in the same position now though (I think) - because we'd be level on points with Marseille, level on head-to-head, level on GD - and behind them on goals scored. And we could only overtake them with a win.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Many mixed reports of what happened Albion fans gassed by mistake, drifting in from outside or gassed on purpose?
Yes it drifted in from outside as the sides of the stadium were open. Before the tear gas was deployed there were a few loud booms like big old fire crackers

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
CS Gas was used to clear the home fans who went mental at the final whistle.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes it drifted in from outside as the sides of the stadium were open. Before the tear gas was deployed there were a few loud booms like big old fire crackers, AEK throwing them outside
No it didn't it was used inside the stadium to clear the home fans who were not happy bunnies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports