Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] AEK Athens FC vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Fingers and toes firmly crossed for this one. Am currently in Narvik, Norway, where - unlike Brighton - there ISN'T any snow currently falling, but also I don't think I'll be able to tune in to the match. I'll be watching for any goal alerts on my phone, and willing on the boys from within the arctic circle. BTW is there a thread showing BHA supporters enjoying themselves in Athens, like there's been for Marseille and Ajax? Couldn't see one...

Jimmy Grimble

Yep, it'll be clearer after today's games but whatever we do avoiding a loss is the most important thing tonight
Even if we lose, it’s not necessarily a disaster. Especially if Ajax fail to beat Marseille. Just means we’d be more likely to drop into the Conference League, which we’d have more of a chance of winning!

For the above reasons, I’m kind of relaxed about tonight.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
OK, let's try an alternative answer:

"No, it's a lot more complicated than that. There are still several different permutations which could arise from the next two sets of games, and all four teams are still capable of qualifying for the next round."
It's still all Greek to me.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Best part of these trips have been the plane journeys. All full of Brighton fans having a sing song, and even the pilots are getting involved!

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Even if we lose, it’s not necessarily a disaster. Especially if Ajax fail to beat Marseille. Just means we’d be more likely to drop into the Conference League, which we’d have more of a chance of winning!

For the above reasons, I’m kind of relaxed about tonight.
I'd be disappointed if we dropped to conference, full strength we win the group but we've yet to field a full strength side in the competition due to injuries and tonight looking much the same

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
on another thread but sharing here too - this is the squad for tonight or at least the 20 or so players that were training / have travelled. JPVH has also travelled / training but is suspended. Moder wasn't named in the Europa League squad so not eligible.

Presumably this is close to where things will be for Chelsea with Dahoud/Dunk coming out (suspended) and Moder/JPVH coming in.

Both Dahoud and Dunk will be available again for Burnley (H) on Dec 9th missing Chelsea and Brentford as part of their red card bans.

Steele/Verbruggen
Veltman, Igor, Dunk, Milner
Hinshelwood, Dahoud, Gilmour, Gross, Baleba
Mitoma, Adingra, Buonanotte, Lallana,
Pedro, Ferguson

U21s: Hinchy, Chouchane, Kavanagh, Jackson, Duffus

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I'd be disappointed if we dropped to conference, full strength we win the group but we've yet to field a full strength side in the competition due to injuries and tonight looking much the same
Agree. I think it’s good to have high but realistic aspirations - we aren’t about to win the Champions League or Premier League any time soon, and we are holding our own in this competition. The aim has always to be to play at the highest level possible and finish/progress as far as possible.

Some very good sides in the Conference League too, not guaranteed to do brilliantly in that tournament.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The latest on injuries is that

-Ansu Fati (Hamstring) could be "up to three months"
- Lamptey - they were more confident about - more like weeks.
- Welbeck - i'd heard January
- Enciso - training in December ?
- Estupinan - "long term" knee or leg are currently in a brace.
- March - out for the season due to ACL and meniscus knee damage
Oh that is depressing reading. For us as a team but also for the players themselves. Fati especially - looking to get his career back on track after a number of injuries only to suffer another one is just awful luck for the guy.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
With such an injury list it is expecting a lot to avoid defeat. Best wishes to those making the trip. I hope you are resolved to have a good time no matter the result.
I don't know about that.

Not to appear arrogant or entitled but if you look at the likely starting 11s this evening, I would argue ours is still probably going to be a lot stronger than theirs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
My Dad always said something about 'beware of Greeks bearing gifts', so I think Dunky should poke their captain in the eye if he tries to give him a club pennant at the coin toss. You can't be too careful.
We're going to get held hostage for the marbles, aren't we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here