Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice please - entry level smartphoness

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I've had an HTC Desire for just over 2 years.
Been alright / reliable.
SHould I keep using or look for something newer.
Rarely use for internet, mostly txt and calls

If you're only really using it for texts and calls then i'd stick with it if you're generally happy with it. I've got the HTC wildfire and due for an upgrade next month. If I can get the one Bozza has flagged up I might go with that as I'm running out of space on mine. But if you're not using a lot of apps or the internet a lot just stay put I reckon. If you're on contract opposed to PAYG may be worth ringing your provider and doing a cheaper deal.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
You'd be a lunatic to get anything other than the Motorola Moto G and then get a cheapo GiffGaff or 3 unlimited data SIM only deal.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...=B00ECBREB6&linkCode=as2&tag=northstandcha-21

Motorola Moto G £99 Tesco

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-m...-black/454-8906.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=454-8906

£10 Off code

TDX-7DXM

Unlock code £2.04

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-...973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19e56bf525

Can use Tesco vouchers to double up if you have any.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Tesco run on O2 don't they, hence use Giffgaff without need to unlock ??

Anyone know if Skygo works on it ?

I got a Tesco's moto g for my son for Xmas. Tescos use some sort of double lock and a giffgaff SIM didn't work. So I'd guess no for skygo too.

The eBay unlock code worked a treat though... turned up about an hour or so after I ordered it with an apology for the delay! Simple to apply.
(the phone takes a micro SIM which you may,like me, need to order from giffgaff and then do a SIM swap to move your account over.. all documented on giffgaff)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Hi
I have a huawei ascend smart phone.
Pay £7.50 a month
5000 Txts 250 minutes and 500 data
Apparently this is a basic smartphone although it does everything i need.
Like you say checking internet when not at home, big screen, and the network is talk mobile which uses vodaphone.
Can highly recommend
Happy to answer any questions you may havw

Top recommendation for last year, so glad it is working out well. Moto G does seem the new king of the low end though. All hail google.

There are some excellent sim only deals around right now, so anyone with a contract expiring should really do the maths and decide if it is worth staying with a bundled handset deal.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Tesco run on O2 don't they, hence use Giffgaff without need to unlock ??

Anyone know if Skygo works on it ?
They share the same network but you cannot use a Giffgaff sim in a Tesco''s phone. You can use both Tesco and Giffgaff in a locked O2 phone though.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I got a Samsung Galaxy Ace for £12.30pm, no charge for phone from Tesco. For entry level smart phone it's bloody good

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
They share the same network but you cannot use a Giffgaff sim in a Tesco''s phone. You can use both Tesco and Giffgaff in a locked O2 phone though.

Can you interchange the sims if you root the phone ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here