Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adverts on NSC (and paying not to have them)

Would you pay for an ad-free version of NSC?

• Yes, I'd pay a tenner a year.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Yes, I'd pay up to £15 a year.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Yes, I'd pay up to £20 a year.

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • No - I'd stick with the ad-supported version regardless.

Votes: 161 89.4%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I didn't say it was broke or needed fixing, you were talking about charging everyone £10 - £20 per year, and with 5,000 active members it would turnover £50k - £100k a year, so this seems more about income than taking Google Ads off. I am sure that the Google Ads earnings is fairly minimal anyway and I would be surprised if it brought in more than a couple of hundred pounds a year.

As I've said repeatedly on this thread - I'm not talking about charging anyone anything!

I'm aware that some people don't like the adverts so I was merely asking whether there was sufficient demand for me to do the work to enable an ad-free version of NSC to be available to those who want it. As each NSC user earns money for the site merely by using the site, then there would be a charge for that to offset the loss of income from that person no longer having ads.

You'd be very surprised what the Google ads earn for NSC. As I've said previously - NSC can cost in the region of £600 per month to host, although currently it's less than that, and last year the site gave something like £5000-£6000 to charity. All of this was paid for with Google ad income.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely if you charge then it is likely that the number of regular users will probably fall. Just for the sake of removing some banner adverts and some restrictions on language!!! Isn't it a no brainer?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Surely if you charge then it is likely that the number of regular users will probably fall. Just for the sake of removing some banner adverts and some restrictions on language!!! Isn't it a no brainer?

Am I writing in a foreign language or something? Once again...

1. I am not looking to, or proposing to, charge all NSC users to use the site.
2. I am not looking, or proposing to, charge some NSC users for enhanced access to the site.
3. I am asking if there is enough demand from those who would prefer having an ad-free version of NSC in return for a nominal charge.
4. If there was sufficient demand, those who have no issue with ads will continue to have NSC exactly as they do today.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Am I writing in a foreign language or something? Once again...

1. I am not looking to, or proposing to, charge all NSC users to use the site.
2. I am not looking, or proposing to, charge some NSC users for enhanced access to the site.
3. I am asking if there is enough demand from those who would prefer having an ad-free version of NSC in return for a nominal charge.
4. If there was sufficient demand, those who have no issue with ads will continue to have NSC exactly as they do today.

If i've got this right it means we get 10% of the Notts Forest ticket allocation (3000 odd). Is that what are you trying to say ???

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
As I've said repeatedly on this thread - I'm not talking about charging anyone anything!

I'm aware that some people don't like the adverts so I was merely asking whether there was sufficient demand for me to do the work to enable an ad-free version of NSC to be available to those who want it. As each NSC user earns money for the site merely by using the site, then there would be a charge for that to offset the loss of income from that person no longer having ads.

You'd be very surprised what the Google ads earn for NSC. As I've said previously - NSC can cost in the region of £600 per month to host, although currently it's less than that, and last year the site gave something like £5000-£6000 to charity. All of this was paid for with Google ad income.

Thank you, for the first time in this thread you have clearly stated the benefits of using Google Ads. If only I was telepathic :shrug:

And where have you said NSC can cost in the region of £600 per month to host? I asked how much it cost and you didn't say anything ???

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Thank you, for the first time in this thread you have clearly stated the benefits of using Google Ads. If only I was telepathic

It is funny when people say they are "sure about" things they clearly have no idea about - it does raise doubts about the certainty of other stuff they post.

More a general point than aimed solely at you by the way.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And where have you said NSC can cost in the region of £600 per month to host? I asked how much it cost and you didn't say anything ???

Pretty much here:

Unfortunately, being able to support close to 4,000 concurrent users online at a time without skipping a beat, costs considerably more than that. £75 covers NSC for a 2-3 days at peak times.

But that's not the point. This thread wasn't supposed to be about how to fund NSC - that's all taken care of as things stand. It was just about the possibility of giving some users an ad-free option if they wanted it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I am sure that the Google Ads earnings is fairly minimal anyway and I would be surprised if it brought in more than a couple of hundred pounds a year.

:lolol: I am actually none the wiser now :shrug:

I think he's referring to your quote saying that Google ads brought in ~£200 per year, after which Bozza said it's closer to £12k (£600*12 plus £5-£6k); though he did say that his comment wasn't only targeted at you.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think he's referring to your quote saying that Google ads brought in ~£200 per year, after which Bozza said it's closer to £12k (£600*12 plus £5-£6k); though he did say that his comment wasn't only targeted at you.

Yep thanks, I understand the benefits of Google Ads a lot more now. I didn't think Google Ads could generate a revenue of as much as around £12k per annum.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I check in a lot in my Wifes ipad without logging in. Ads there are not too bad. Will the ads be 'google' style where they track my browsing history and send me a lady from the far east or a girl close by eager to meet me?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here