Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adverts on NSC (and paying not to have them)

Would you pay for an ad-free version of NSC?

• Yes, I'd pay a tenner a year.

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Yes, I'd pay up to £15 a year.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Yes, I'd pay up to £20 a year.

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • No - I'd stick with the ad-supported version regardless.

Votes: 161 89.4%

• Total voters

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Like several others I'm hardly aware of the ads. Even for the desperate cougars.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Like others have said the ads don't bother me, in fact because they are often relevant to me personally I have sometimes clicked on them. For example when is been searching for a fireplace the perfect one was suggested to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How does the advert money work. I normally do not notice most adverts but mature wives catches my eye. Supposedly we do not get anything for that. How much income do the adverts generate? Is it best for the site if we click on the odd advert?

Google run the whole ad process - or their systems do. Some ads will only earn for NSC if they are clicked upon, some pay if they are viewed. I have no idea which are which.

What I can tell you, from the reports I can access is NSC earns...

- about 60% of income from ads that are on the page, regardless of whether someone clicks on them or not.
- about 36% of income from ads that people click on.
- about 4% of income from ads that require engagement beyond clicking. That can be anything from downloading an app to playing to sharing the ad.

If you REALLY wanted to you increase the number of adverts so that it does become annoying, then more people would pay up! :lolol:

I can't - Google Adsense limits it to 3 per page (there are 2 at the very bottom).

Well as long as you don't think people who would pay would not act like they are superior in some way to those who can't/don't pay. That is what I would be afraid of mainly.

There would be nothing to distinguish them from anyone else so you'd only know if they went out of their way to say.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The problem with using adblock is that NSC derives no revenue. Users that use adblock on NSC are having the best of both worlds - an ad-free NSC at no cost; this seems a little selfish.

I quite like the fact that there is a swear filter on the site. It makes people be somewhat more temperate in their language to others, which I accept is not a view that will be shared by all. If the levels of personal abuse rose significantly as a result of the swear filter being removed I would probably stop using the site.

The ads don't particularly bother me, but I would chip in £20 a year to keep the site running, ads or no ads. As Bozza describes the enhancements, I doubt I'd find any value in them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The ads are very unintrusive. I wouldn't pay for NSC, unless the ads weren't making enough revenue and it was the only way to keep it afloat.

If the ads were intrusive, i.e. in between posts etc then I'd pay a tenner. In their current from I have no problem with the ads, I always use the amazon link on here and quite enjoy seeing the odd Royal Opera House ad pop up at the top of the page.
The only thing that needs adding to these 2 posts is:-

this.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
If the ads ever became an inconvenience enough to make me want to pay the block them, I'd simply stop using NSC

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
If the ads ever became an inconvenience enough to make me want to pay the block them, I'd simply stop using NSC

My view entirely.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
The ads don't bother me in the slightest and often click them when I'm on here and have purchased goods via the Amazon link at the top and don't mind paying £20 a year subscription as can't see the Palace trolls paying £20 to post on here :)

Last edited:

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
My view entirely.

Rubbish. Everyone would pay if you could only access the site if you've paid and if you/they didn't then you'd be told that ''Sorry you don't have permission to access this site'' then it'll be a matter of time before everyone was reaching for their credit/debit cards :smile:

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
People who block ads on NSC contribute nothing to the wellbeing of the site. Your viewing of NSC might get a bit more difficult for you.

It annoys me when people complain about ads, why do people think that they are entitled to use brilliant services like Facebook, Twitter etc for free?

Maybe people don't realise the cost in running and supporting these sites, let alone the like of NSC that relies on volunteers.

It's all very well saying we all ignore ads, but if the advertisers believed that, they would stop paying for ads and then half the internet would shut down!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
People who block ads on NSC contribute nothing to the wellbeing of the site. Your viewing of NSC might get a bit more difficult for you.

I didn't realise all 18,759 members were required to contribute to the 'wellbeing' of this site.
I prefer to block all ads from all sites. In my opinion, it's spam.

Saying that, if all ads were removed and each member was required to pay £10.00 a year member fee, I'd happily pay.
Won't happen though.

Dec 29, 2011
I didn't realise all 18,759 members were required to contribute to the 'wellbeing' of this site.

Saying that, if all ads were removed and each member was required to pay £10.00 a year member fee, I'd happily pay.
Won't happen though.

Very, very bad move. Trust me.

Just unlock this domain, they literally take nothing away from the experience of NSC and it helps pay the server costs a little.

Dec 29, 2011
How much does it cost to put a forum up live on a server and domain renewal?

Should be no more than £75 a year.

For a forum pulling this much traffic the server will cost way more than £75/year. Wouldn't be surprised if it was on a dedicated server or VPS which can cost £30-£40/month

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Won't happen though.

It's not Spam - it's adverts. They are easily ignored, whereas Spam, to me, is stuff that comes in to your inbox and you have to delete.

I voted I would pay £10 for northstandchat - which I would do because I enjoy it and get a lot out of it, but I am quite happy carrying on free and ignoring (not blocking) the ads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here