Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adrian Colunga . . . Coluld he be the missing link?

My son's favourite player but let's be honest we saw enough of him to know he's not going to make a transforming difference to the team. A clever support player rather than a consistent goal scorer. Bring him back by all means but we need two better players to compete for that central striker slot.

I'm more concerned that we have a manager who prefers Best to Colunga. I know they don't play the same position but I am still trying to understand why he brought that Lummox in and let Colunga go. I don't buy the homesick bit, more like sick of being pissed around out of position.

Too small to play central striker, Best in his Newcastle form would have been good but we got a player out of form and possibly over the hill. But if you think that was Hughton's first choice let's get real - we need the board to back our manager rather than blame him for the very limited options he's given.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Too small to play central striker, Best in his Newcastle form would have been good but we got a player out of form and possibly over the hill. But if you think that was Hughton's first choice let's get real - we need the board to back our manager rather than blame him for the very limited options he's given.

It must have passed you by, but that dross on offer last year was the most expensively assembled Albion squad EVER...... allegedly.
:glare:

It must have passed you by, but that dross on offer last year was the most expensively assembled Albion squad EVER...... allegedly.
:glare:

Well I guess that's why Burke got his promotion to the England set-up!

It is baffling the size of the squad we had, a vast collection of overpaid mediocrity that probably did add up to a lot of money, though none of that can be laid at Hughton's door - one long contract Kayal, thank you great work.

But I won't provoke you by noting how well Gus did with a less expensive squad. Allegedly :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My son's favourite player but let's be honest we saw enough of him to know he's not going to make a transforming difference to the team. A clever support player rather than a consistent goal scorer. Bring him back by all means but we need two better players to compete for that central striker slot.

The team needs clever support players.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I know that has been mooted on here, but I don't think it was actually the case. There was an interview in the Argus on February 6, shortly after he left on loan, in which Colunga was quoted as saying:-

And, in another article in the Argus on May 1 about Colunga's unhappy loan spell at Granada, Hughton was quoted as saying:-

Given these quotes from the manager and the player, it sounds very much like Hughton didn't rate or want Colunga, for whatever reason, rather than the player himself wanting to return to Spain because he or his family hadn't settled.

If Hughton rated Best and the others above Colunga then I am worried what we have got to look forward to.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
As Brian Owen said in this morning's edition of the Argus, could a rich source of goals already be on Albion's books?

I've often wondered if Adrian Colunga was farmed out on loan prematurely. spending the greater part of last season at Granada. He didn't seem to fit into Sami Hyypia's strange system, and was always used sparingly, but for me, whenever he did play, he always seemed to have goals in him. It's true that he hasn't exactly set the world on fire with his performances whilst playing in Spain, but that could well be down to troublesome injury problems.

I have a nagging feeling, that should we decide to keep him, a fully fit Colunga, with a good pre-season behind him, could come up with quite a few goals, particularly if played just behind a new target man.

Coluld you be right :wink:

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
Not sure he is the 20 + goal man, but I was disappointed he was loaned out. Would like to think he was in our plans next season, assuming he wants to be.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
if we could find a Quality addition to him , CoG and baldock ...ie i target man in the ulloa mould he would have to be an asset , as we saw last season it is pointless playing slightly above average players out of position, the only one who had any success at all was calderon at rmf but he is a different kettle of fish all together......i'm hoping we get a few good , early signings and get a bit of team spirit cultivated , it counts for a lot over the season......we need a couple of strong midfielders to free stephens and kayal up to the creative side of things....imho .

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
if we could find a Quality addition to him , CoG and baldock ...ie i target man in the ulloa mould he would have to be an asset , as we saw last season it is pointless playing slightly above average players out of position, the only one who had any success at all was calderon at rmf but he is a different kettle of fish all together......i'm hoping we get a few good , early signings and get a bit of team spirit cultivated , it counts for a lot over the season......we need a couple of strong midfielders to free stephens and kayal up to the creative side of things....imho .

You will be in danger of a ban if you keep coming up with sensible posts in the closed season, be off with you.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Agree with the first half of the post, but not the second. I think we're looking pretty good in midfield with Kayal, Ince, Stephens, Crofts, Holla and JFC, with Rea to step up if necessary. What we need is a left-back, another centre-back, a Ulloa-type CF (Enrich looks one good option) and at least one wide/creative forward that will be able to score ten in a season.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Three up front and Ince, Kayal and Stephens in midfield would have meant no room for Tex. And correct me if I'm wrong (I may well be - the picture quality isn't that great on my PC) but wasn't it Tex who slipped that inviting through ball to Colunga?

It was Teixeira, yes. I was looking back and also looking forward! I doubt very much that Joao will be with us next season. Also, BK and DS were not available back then either. I suppose what I meant is that Sami could have seen the value in an attacking trio (which could have included Teixiera in a free role) without the need for a lumbering target man but sadly didn't and CH could also plan for the new season with a speedy front three as he has been afforded the added security of a strong midfield. Teixiera is not the only player who can play an incisive through ball (funnily enough I think JFC could ultimately prove to be that type) and a target man is not the only forward option available. It's pretty clear to me that neither manager employed their resources to best (sic) effect last season and unless we have Ulloa II on the way I am concerned that CH may be a little one dimensional in his thinking.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was Teixeira, yes. I was looking back and also looking forward! I doubt very much that Joao will be with us next season. Also, BK and DS were not available back then either. I suppose what I meant is that Sami could have seen the value in an attacking trio (which could have included Teixiera in a free role) without the need for a lumbering target man but sadly didn't and CH could also plan for the new season with a speedy front three as he has been afforded the added security of a strong midfield. Teixiera is not the only player who can play an incisive through ball (funnily enough I think JFC could ultimately prove to be that type) and a target man is not the only forward option available. It's pretty clear to me that neither manager employed their resources to best (sic) effect last season and unless we have Ulloa II on the way I am concerned that CH may be a little one dimensional in his thinking.
Fair enough. I very much hope, but sadly don't really expect, to see Tex back here next season. Maybe Colunga will be used in the Tex role, at the centre of the three in a 4-2-3-1 set up, which looks to be a likely starting formation. Not sure about JFC doing that role though - not knocking the lad, but like many people I still can't see what several managers seem to see in him.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Isn't Colunga unhappy in England and home sick? I thought that was why he wanted to go home. Apologies if that's already been debunked.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Isn't Colunga unhappy in England and home sick? I thought that was why he wanted to go home. Apologies if that's already been debunked.

I refer m'learned friend to post #34, where a certain amount of debunking does appear to have taken place.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair enough. I very much hope, but sadly don't really expect, to see Tex back here next season. Maybe Colunga will be used in the Tex role, at the centre of the three in a 4-2-3-1 set up, which looks to be a likely starting formation. Not sure about JFC doing that role though - not knocking the lad, but like many people I still can't see what several managers seem to see in him.

Hughton said that he had two preferred formations: 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-1-1.* From what I've seen, I think he might think the latter is more appropriate for us. That means finding one midfielder that can play wide, and adding one, two or three forwards (both Baldock and Colunga can play the withdrawn forward role; we might need three if Colunga goes). If this happens, I'm not so sure what it'll mean for KLL and March. March is adaptable, but I'm not convinced to what extent KLL fits into Hughton's system, beyond as an impact sub (which might not be a bad thing).

* He did trial a 5-3-2 (or 5-4-1) against Watford.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Adrian Colunga has revealed his months at Albion were the highlight of a tough season.

But the Spanish forward has put future plans on hold as he waits to hear in the coming days whether there is a deal for him at Granada.

The Spanish outfit secured top-flight survival in their final game 16 days ago but have yet to announce whether they will be taking up a one-year option on loanee Colunga, who they signed from the Seagulls in January.

Colunga was not part of the late push for survival and is expected by sources close to Granada to be let go.

The former Getafe star, who scored three Championship goals this season, is keen to get his career back on track after a stop-start campaign.
He has a year left on his deal at the Amex but slipped down the pecking order when Chris Hughton took over as boss.

The 30-year-old has assured sources in Spain he is ready to fight hard for a place in Hughton’s plans should he end up returning to Albion for pre-season.

Colunga is highly regarded in Spain and an early exit from the Amex would help free up more funds for what is expected to be a significant overhaul of the Seagulls’ first team squad.

He admits his return to Spain has been ill-fated but concedes Hughton’s arrival badly affected his prospects at Albion.

Colunga told Radio Marca: “I consider this to have been half a very good year and half bad.

“Half bad because I had bad luck here.

“Half good because I was happy in England. I played, scored some goals.

“It was just a change of manager that changed things, “I had various options to move on and I chose Granada with all the hope in the world.

“When I was available, I played. But I was sent-off, suspended for two games and then injured for a month-and-a-half.”

He added: “Along with London, Brighton is the best place to live in England.

“It’s in the south, it’s very cosmopolitan. You live very well there.”

The "homesick" story looks like complete bollocks then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here