Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adam Webster *** Signed on 4 year deal ***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Your post sums up this summer beautifully.

I wonder whom we'll be loaning Webster to.

Some of us are pretty enthusiastic but aware that it could all go wrong. Are you going to bother turning up this season, I sure as hell wouldn’t if I felt like you do

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have we been fighting off competition for Webster? This £20-25m valuation seems very odd for a Championship defender most people have barely seen, unless there has been a bidding war..

Naylor has tweeted today that the valuation is closer to £18m plus add-ons.

Having seen the YT video of him striding into midfield with the ball "like a galloping giraffe", I have to say I like the look of him. His passing looks decent as well, and he's versatile. A good age, and he's not got to come over and "settle" like our various punts on the foreign legion. You're not going to pick up players like this for buttons.

If our scouting team think this guy is worth the investment, and Potter fancies him, then I'm happy for us to push the boat out a bit for him (not that its my money anyway).

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm really quite excited about this signing.

I've not seen anything of him myself, but from what I'm reading this is a good defender, who is comfortable on the ball, and has a turn of pace about him. Big lad, being bought out of The Championship, who already knows the English game and doesn't need time to settle in this country.

It may not be the position I was hoping to see a signing for (please can we sign a striker?) but that apart,m this is EXACTLY what I've wanted us to start doing. Raiding The Championship for the best young players. We've seen others, especially Bournemouth, do this with great success, and it's about time that was a route we tried as well.

If Dunk goes, we have some options, and if Dunk stays, then we are looking at a very good back 3, if that is the system Potter favours.

I like it.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I'd think that Mings was well overpriced rather than the going rate.

Knocky was £10m. Was Webster the Championship player of the season?

Knocky thing was different as it seems to be one of the only transfers of the summer that seems approaching a bargain. Presumably there's a reason for that, of which I do not know.
Lloyd Kelly went to Bournemouth for 13, Kalas went to Bristol City for 8, Konza to Villa for 12. Prices have gone a bit mad. 18 seems steep.
But look, Maguire is going to go for somewhere between 80 and 90.
Really the Kyle Walker and VVD transfers totally changed the 'reality' of a players worth.
It's no longer simply about what a player is worth, more what a player is worth to the buying club.
We absolutely need more pace at the back, and we absolutely need defenders who can pass (and even dribble) under Potter, so why argue over a few million? If our recruitment team think he is the one, then let's get him in.

If he plays well, get's in and around the England team, his potential value goes up astronomically- even from an already eye-watering 20 million.

(He might turn out to be no better than Clarke and White though)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I just dont see where this high valuation has come from? Is he that good? Ive never seen him play.

No idea if he is any good. Comes with a good pedigree though. Lets hope he is worth that sort of fee

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Your post sums up this summer beautifully.

I wonder whom we'll be loaning Webster to.

You’re so negative it’s boring. If he makes the step up and is premier league quality, perhaps gets an England call up or pundit recognition, we have another 50m defender on our books. Add him to Dunk and Duffy and we’ve got three assets worth north of 100m playing for little old Brighton. See the potential in things, it’s exciting.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm really quite excited about this signing.

I've not seen anything of him myself, but from what I'm reading this is a good defender, who is comfortable on the ball, and has a turn of pace about him. Big lad, being bought out of The Championship, who already knows the English game and doesn't need time to settle in this country.

It may not be the position I was hoping to see a signing for (please can we sign a striker?) but that apart,m this is EXACTLY what I've wanted us to start doing. Raiding The Championship for the best young players. We've seen others, especially Bournemouth, do this with great success, and it's about time that was a route we tried as well.

If Dunk goes, we have some options, and if Dunk stays, then we are looking at a very good back 3, if that is the system Potter favours.

I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfS_-PnVk1o

Dangerous to form an opinion entirely on a YouTube highlights reel of course, but I really do like the way he brings the ball out from the back, committing the opposition players. Of course someone is going to have to get into the habit of dropping in behind him to cover. But players who can do this on the ball and do it well are worth their weight in gold IMO.

M.D

Jan 15, 2015
So has anyone here seen this fella play much? Is he fast, because we're lacking in pace at the back?

I can't quite believe we're breaking our transfer record for a centre back from the Championship.

Season ticket holder at Brighton but a City fan. two footed, good on the ball, brings it out of defence to join the attack and has a lot of pace. He is that good IMHO, you will enjoy him and I will get to see him play..

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Dangerous to form an opinion entirely on a YouTube highlights reel of course, but I really do like the way he brings the ball out from the back, committing the opposition players. Of course someone is going to have to get into the habit of dropping in behind him to cover. But players who can do this on the ball and do it well are worth their weight in gold IMO.

Quite agree. Looks a tidy player. Get this one over the line and the Brentford lad and i might join you on your BENDER for the Spurs game

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Season ticket holder at Brighton but a City fan. two footed, good on the ball, brings it out of defence to join the attack and has a lot of pace. He is that good IMHO, you will enjoy him and I will get to see him play..

Websterbauer
Webesi
Webrenson

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thank you, much appreciated.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Yep, looks good. If he is part of a 3 CB formation, then you have the cover around him when he steps out of defence like that. Dunk is also capable of bringing it out, and pinging a crossfield ball, so this is shaping up nicely IMHO.

Let's just get this forward pleeeeaaase. Then I'll feel a lot better about the season ahead.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Let’s get serious here, is there a showreel and has anyone used him in Football manager?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Quite agree. Looks a tidy player. Get this one over the line and the Brentford lad and i might join you on your BENDER for the Spurs game

Not yet got my BENDER lined up, but I'm working on it.

Can you imagine Hughton watching that Webster video ? I think he'd have an aneurysm.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
You’re so negative it’s boring. If he makes the step up and is premier league quality, perhaps gets an England call up or pundit recognition, we have another 50m defender on our books. Add him to Dunk and Duffy and we’ve got three assets worth north of 100m playing for little old Brighton. See the potential in things, it’s exciting.

Oh no pressure on a bloke who's played two seasons in the Championship, then.

This was the first article that popped up when I googled his name: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/adam-webster-struggles-fill-aden-1914149

Adam Webster had big boots to fill (literally) when replacing Flint in the summer, and whilst he’s made a positive start to his Bristol City career, today was a shaky performance from the 23-year-old.

He was beaten in the air for the second goal and looked uncomfortable when both Britt Assombalonga and Martin Braithwaite were running at him.

The youngster still has some improving to do before hitting the heights that Flint did during his time at Ashton Gate.

£22M.

Also found this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36462833

Coincidental.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here