Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Adam Webster - our next England centre back

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
15 months of a largely empty Amex allowed him to relax into being a quality CB/RWB.

Prior to that, he was nervy and targeted by the boo boys.

He seems effortlessly good at everything asked of him and just eats up the ground in any foot-race or foray forward.

Lesson for some there. But based on what I heard in WSL yesterday, it hasn't been learned. Couldn't believe how quickly a few people climbed all over our players when they made a mistake. Very odd when it's so obviosu that actually supporting them could make such a difference.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lesson for some there. But based on what I heard in WSL yesterday, it hasn't been learned. Couldn't believe how quickly a few people climbed all over our players when they made a mistake. Very odd when it's so obviosu that actually supporting them could make such a difference.

Used to get that a lot in WSU. Moaners/player haters, no doubt with elite level coaching backgrounds.

Seem to be lucky in the NS.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Amazing that the club record signing(?) turned out to be ****ing mustard at his job.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He's a magnificent player and probably my favourite current player. Arsenal's scouting department got it totally wrong.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's a magnificent player and probably my favourite current player. Arsenal's scouting department got it totally wrong.

His injury was probably came at the prefect time for the Albion.

Less so for Webbidinio, in the short term, as it cost him a place at the Euro's and about £100k a week from Arsenal.

That said, with a new contract in hand and the Burnley cobwebs dusted off (he really was uncharacteristically poor up there) it's hard to imagine his middle term career won't be considerably rosier than Mr White's.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

The people behind me moaned throughout. Every one of our players was on the end of a snidey barb at some point and even had one of the regulars near by ask them "why you even bothered coming if all they want to do is moan when we're 2-0 up". What was interesting was that it had almost nothing to do with what was happening in front of them. It was like someone had loaded a couple of human-androids with pre-programmed Twitter opinions and just sent them out for the day.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And Southgate.

I still think realistically there are three or four ahead of him for England squad places.

What Webby needs now is consistency. He does check in the odd Burnley away performance and I think that's why Southgate and Arteta fancied White more.

But surely a full season of playing at the level he did against Watford would have to take him into the reckoning.

GP should be saying to him, "give me 36 more of those this season, and you'll be playing for England and you might be going to the world cup"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I still think realistically there are three or four ahead of him for England squad places.

What Webby needs now is consistency. He does check in the odd Burnley away performance and I think that's why Southgate and Arteta fancied White more.

But surely a full season of playing at the level he did against Watford would have to take him into the reckoning.

GP should be saying to him, "give me 36 more of those this season, and you'll be playing for England and you might be going to the world cup"

Blimey tough crowd.

36 more Watford performances and I'd expect him to win the World Cup singlefoot/headledly.

He was outstanding, not even Southgate's blind spot is big enough to oversee more games like Saturdays.

Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin next, so let's not run before we can walk, just yet.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Blimey tough crowd.

36 more Watford performances and I'd expect him to win the World Cup singlefoot/headledly.

He was outstanding, not even Southgate's blind spot is big enough to oversee more games like Saturdays.

Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin next, so let's not run before we can walk, just yet.

Agree. I gave him a 10 on the player ratings thread. (I think I may have been the only one to do so)

Also agree Everton have very good forwards. Will be a much bigger test

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
The people behind me moaned throughout. Every one of our players was on the end of a snidey barb at some point and even had one of the regulars near by ask them "why you even bothered coming if all they want to do is moan when we're 2-0 up". What was interesting was that it had almost nothing to do with what was happening in front of them. It was like someone had loaded a couple of human-androids with pre-programmed Twitter opinions and just sent them out for the day.
Some fans are simply there to sling abuse at whoever, whenever the slightest excuse arises, regardless of anything positive that may be happening. After Duffy scored the opener on Saturday, I think we conceded a free kick seconds after the restart (clearly a free kick, no real grounds for complaint), the usual suspect behind me in the north launches into a tirade of abuse towards the ref despite everyone else around still buoyant and celebrating the fact we've literally just gone 1-0 up. It's a weird disconnect with the actual narrative of the match like you say that just makes them look even more.. odd, like they're in their own little world.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

It was discussed on Monday night club on radio five too. One of the pundits said to play in Brighton’s decence you have to be massive. Chris Sutton immediately jumped in to say that they just happen to be big but are all very good footballers. It is a funny thing from some within football that they get mesmerised by the height. Ben white had a brilliant season and we sold him for 50 million. Maybe we actually shifted him for being too small.

It is great that pundits are finally realising our defenders are all good footballers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having chastised [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and a few others for running at full pelt when we should be, at best, jogging what with Everton just around the corner.

I take it I'm not allowed to dream of a (past and present) all Albion back 3 for England, in the upcoming internationals?

You'd think that would be enough.
But for White to then put on a show would be so funny I might just hurt myself.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Having chastised [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and a few others for running at full pelt when we should be, at best, jogging what with Everton just around the corner.

I take it I'm not allowed to dream of a (past and present) all Albion back 3 for England, in the upcoming internationals?

You'd think that would be enough.
But for White to then put on a show would be so funny I might just hurt myself.

Hey, I can hardly spend an entire season saying "please win the easier home games FFS" and then not comment when we do :shrug:

:moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here