Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam johnson sacked

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure that I heard it reported earlier that he admitted grooming and kissing to the club a year ago. They allowed him to keep playing, and the girl involved suffered all sorts of mental anguish, being called a liar etc. If I have interpreted this correctly, Sunderland don't come out of it well.

Sunderland issued a statement today stating this wasn't the case and also stating they have played no part in his plea decisions. They didn't know he was going to plead guilty until they heard it in the press apparently.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I just can't get over the level of either arrogance or wilful stupidity involved in making the decision to do something like this. It is beyond belief.

Probably because men's libido is governed by their dicks, not their brains so all sense of reasoning and judgement goes out of the window. Most men have done something stupid and irrational in the pursuit of sex. The difference is that while most men's stupid actions remain within the boundaries of social and legal acceptability there is a minority that don't.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Probably because men's libido is governed by their dicks, not their brains so all sense of reasoning and judgement goes out of the window. Most men have done something stupid and irrational in the pursuit of sex. The difference is that while most men's stupid actions remain within the boundaries of social and legal acceptability there is a minority that don't.

That almost seems to be excusing what he did! Most men are able to be rational enough to control their libido when they know that certain behaviours are wrong.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I know it's going back a few years, but when Tony Adams went down for drink driving, the Judge actually said he was giving him six months(well over the top, at the time) as a deterrent to other young men.I've no sympathy with footballers who break the law in general, but I do feel, they should be treated the same as the rest of us, or the principal of blind justice isn't being adhered to.

No one makes this point when teachers receive greater punishments for sleeping with students, or when a victim is more sympathetic (child, old person). Justice acknowledges that there is mitigation and aggravation to crimes, it has to, or it isn't fair or just. The abuse of authority, whether that is an official authority such as a police officer over a citizen, or the power of a celebrity over a fan, is, for me, a genuine aggravation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
His libido wasn't calling the shots when he had enough sense to check the age of consent, although quite why you'd need to is somewhat baffling.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No one makes this point when teachers receive greater punishments for sleeping with students, or when a victim is more sympathetic (child, old person). Justice acknowledges that there is mitigation and aggravation to crimes, it has to, or it isn't fair or just. The abuse of authority, whether that is an official authority such as a police officer over a citizen, or the power of a celebrity over a fan, is, for me, a genuine aggravation.

I would agree with this.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
That almost seems to be excusing what he did! Most men are able to be rational enough to control their libido when they know that certain behaviours are wrong.

I'm not remotely excusing what he did and I don't know how you can construe my observation of how men behave in general as condoning what he did. As your second sentence has basically repeated the same point I originally made it seems we are in total agreement. Making an observation of someone's behaviour isn't condoning it and to suggest I'm condoning his behaviour is actually quite offensive.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm not remotely excusing what he did and I don't know how you can construe my observation of how men behave in general as condoning what he did. As your second sentence has basically repeated the same point I originally made it seems we are in total agreement. Making an observation of someone's behaviour isn't condoning it and to suggest I'm condoning his behaviour is actually quite offensive.

No offence intended. I would question your statement that "men's libido is governed by their dicks, not their brains so all sense of reasoning and judgement goes out of the window." If you had qualified this by saying "some men..." I may not have interpreted what you said in the way that I did.

I concede that it may have been a misinterpretation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably because men's libido is governed by their dicks, not their brains so all sense of reasoning and judgement goes out of the window.

But it would appear his actions were quite calculated. He groomed the victim; to repeatedly do something wrong suggests reasoning and judgement were not that out the window. It suggests a thought process.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Probably not even facing any charges or if he was far more difficult to secure a conviction?

Guilty of behaving like a 17 year old. Some 24 year olds still do (or would of they could). I think Johnson was about 26 at the time.

How would Judge John Deed rule? How would Rumpole conduct the defence (never plead guilty). Not even sure they would get a conviction in Scotland?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Guilty of behaving like a 17 year old. Some 24 year olds still do (or would of they could). I think Johnson was about 26 at the time.

How would Judge John Deed rule? How would Rumpole conduct the defence (never plead guilty). Not even sure they would get a conviction in Scotland?

I'm not commenting on which country has the best system* but it is interesting how in one modern advanced European country an individual can spend years in prison ending his career and being labelled as a social outcast for life while in another he might not even face charges.

*No excuse for his actions, brought it on himself, he knew what he was doing etc.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Stick to talking your usual bollocks about football :moo:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably not even facing any charges or if he was far more difficult to secure a conviction?

provisions protecting minors against abuse apply until the age of 18 (under Section 182(1), it is illegal to engage in sexual activity with a person under 18 "by taking advantage of an exploitative situation")

Would possibly suggest otherwise.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
provisions protecting minors against abuse apply until the age of 18 (under Section 182(1), it is illegal to engage in sexual activity with a person under 18 "by taking advantage of an exploitative situation")

Would possibly suggest otherwise.

You might be right HT although ...

The age of consent in Germany is 14, as long as a person over the age of 21 does not exploit a 14- to 15-year-old person's lack of capacity for sexual self-determination, in which case a conviction of an individual over the age of 21 requires a complaint from the younger individual; being over 21 and engaging in sexual relations with a minor of that age does not constitute an offense by itself.

... I'm sure any lawyer worth his/her salt would make a conviction extremely difficult. :shrug:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You might be right HT although ...

The age of consent in Germany is 14, as long as a person over the age of 21 does not exploit a 14- to 15-year-old person's lack of capacity for sexual self-determination, in which case a conviction of an individual over the age of 21 requires a complaint from the younger individual; being over 21 and engaging in sexual relations with a minor of that age does not constitute an offense by itself.

... I'm sure any lawyer worth his/her salt would make a conviction extremely difficult. :shrug:
The way that that law is written sounds so woolly, it'd surprise me if convictions were common.

The UK version of relating to a person being in a position of responsibility is, at least, a bit clearer and more definitive.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The way that that law is written sounds so woolly, it'd surprise me if convictions were common.

The UK version of relating to a person being in a position of responsibility is, at least, a bit clearer and more definitive.

We've both quoted Wikipedia. First it's translated which isn't always exact when dealing with nuanced language like law. Second there's probably more to it than what we have pasted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here