Adam Chicksen signs [merged threads]

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I can't believe some of the negativity on here! Just because he isn't a seasoned international or very high profile/flair, people are writing him off already!

If Oscar thinks he can be the first choice LB then so be it, buying them young/cheap is probably the road we're going down now so we're just going to have to live with it.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I can't believe some of the negativity on here! Just because he isn't a seasoned international or very high profile/flair, people are writing him off already!

If Oscar thinks he can be the first choice LB then so be it, buying them young/cheap is probably the road we're going down now so we're just going to have to live with it.

I think it goes to show just how shallow some people are...If this lad was called Adamo El-Chicoseno and came through the Athletico Madrid youth system, people would be creaming themselves over this signing!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

And if Oscar doesn't, but has to use him because David Burke is in charge of transfers?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think people are missing the point. We are not just replacing Bridge, but Painter as well. I wouldnt be surprised if we took on another left back and probably a more experienced one at that.

Then it will be down to Chicksen to battle it out for the left back slot.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A say is not the same as the final say, or even a significant say. The club has been interested in chicksen for some time.i very much doubt Oscar had much contribution to this signing, especially in light of andy naylor's tweets. Besides, I'm not saying Oscar isn't going to use him, but that in this case, you can't argue we signed him because Oscar has followed his career and rates him and instigated the signing.

By all means defend him on the basis that we've not seen him play much, that most of our squad had to make a step up from league one to championship and on the whole they did well enough so there's every chance he will. Defending him o the basis Oscar anted him is not a strong basis.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think people are missing the point. We are not just replacing Bridge, but Painter as well. I wouldnt be surprised if we took on another left back and probably a more experienced one at that.

Then it will be down to Chicksen to battle it out for the left back slot.

Absolutely. It's the alarming suggestion that we are replacing 2 players with 1, and that the 1 player is a rookie at championship level.

The options for 'cover' in this position within the squad are pretty dire to be honest.

If we only sign 1 left back, surely he needs to be experienced ???

I think it goes to show just how shallow some people are...If this lad was called Adamo El-Chicoseno and came through the Athletico Madrid youth system, people would be creaming themselves over this signing!

Nothing to do with it. See above.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Seen him play for MK Franchise a couple of times. He's definitely quick and attacking, remember him being one of their best players on both occasions. Definitely a step up for him, but at 21 he certainly has potential. Welcome aboard Adam.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
For all we know Chicksen might be a like for like replacement for Marcos Painter and not Wayne Bridge.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Seen him play for MK Franchise a couple of times. He's definitely quick and attacking, remember him being one of their best players on both occasions. Definitely a step up for him, but at 21 he certainly has potential. Welcome aboard Adam.

Looking at the best left backs they are quick and have been taught to defend, you can't teach a player to be quick afterall. I think he will be a good signing, based solely on comments that he is young, quick and attacking and has plenty of time to learn

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Now I am worried. I really cannot understand the signing. There should be a rule that all full backs should be 5'11" min.

Full backs, 5'11" min? Fishing trip surely?

The first 4 full backs that immediately spring to mind:

Ashley Cole - 5ft 9
Leighton Baines - 5ft 7
Philip Lahm - 5ft 7
Jordi Alba - 5ft 7

Mobility, positioning and tactical awareness are far more important attributes to become a top notch full back.

Ballie

Jul 15, 2013
Not heard much about him whats he all about... still think Shorey was the one to replace Bridge

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I can't see any sign of OG being involved with signings (so far) and I think we have moved on from having a team created and moulded by a manager and his assistant/s to a coached team researched and bought by a structured off the field squad development team. Whilst this has been growing for a while I do feel this has been stepped up with the departure of Gus and Naylors comments above about a younger, cheaper squad may mean we don't see some of the signings that some on
here hope for.

I can see the advantage to the club with this, when managers leave the squad will have been the creation of the club and in theory can continue without massive changes that managerial changes bring but it does possibly mean that we won't be taking this division by storm this season. Hope I'm wrong but I think it will be January before we see anyone who can fire us into the Prem or at least in to a play off position - I'm expecting more transfers like Chicksen rather than flair names on loads of wages.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports