Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

According to the Telegraph we've voted to ban the Burqa

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
You may be asked to remove it in a bank, the same way as motorcyclists are asked to remove their helmets. That's not quite the same thing as banning it completely though is it? And I DO walk round Brighton wearing a ski mask in the winter. No one cowers in doorways expecting me to shoot them with a sawn-off shotgun. Simster's analysis is spot-on,

Yes but I presume you take it off in shops and on public transport so as not to alarm people?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The bloke behind me is a muslim, a sound bloke, and very moderate. His wife chooses to wear a burkha, he doesn't care whether she does one way or the other. It is indeed a free choice.
Maybe it's a free choice for her, but it's not for everyone.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I walked into a shop with a balaclava on and was asked to remove it. The full face ninja suit version should be (in my opinion) be banned.

While we're on it. Shoes with no socks should be banned. And those girls socks that don't even cover ankles on men need to go too.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes but I presume you take it off in shops and on public transport so as not to alarm people?

Are you saying that women in burqas 'alarm' you?. Jeez. PS. That black thing behind you on a sunny day isn't a Ninja creeping up to kill you - it's your shadow.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Because he doesn't want to be judged when his wife pops up at the works Christmas(or Eid) party wearing a burqa so says "oh no she loves wearing it, I definitely don't tell her to"
I hope the social services take your kids away, just IN CASE you're a kiddy fiddler.

See, we can all be pointlessly mistrusting if we want. Look, I KNOW the bloke. I'll take his word over yours.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Because he doesn't want to be judged when his wife pops up at the works Christmas(or Eid) party wearing a burqa so says "oh no she loves wearing it, I definitely don't tell her to"
:lolol:

Jul 7, 2016
Why? It is not a religious decision but a cultural one. It's a free choice and we are a free Country. They should be allowed to wear what they want.

Ever NO they shouldn't. This is a very special exception. The Burkini along with the Burqu might only be clothing but it is what it stands for that is so important. it represents a poisonous ideology that needs to be defeated. These women do not choose to wear them, they are forced or coerced by extremist Islam ideology. Whilst the men walk about in shorts and tee shirts. We shouldn't be supporting the denegration of women which these clothes do and make them into second class citizens

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Quite. The wearing of crucifixes is only ever a sign of Christian fundamentalism, and the adornment of the Star of David is clearly only there to represent Jewish superiority.

And don't get me started on the Dukla Prague colours worn by the Dalai Lama.
Are you SERIOUSLY trying to compare a Burqa with a crucifix or a Star of David with regard to how closely somebody adheres to a religion ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe it's a free choice for her, but it's not for everyone.

I agree. But if there is a major issue here, we need to know the extent of it. Surely we don't want laws driven by intolerance? This is the problem with plebicites on everything and why we elect MPs.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Then again, my MUSLIM friend and colleague is from Tooting and has lived there all his life. We all know the sort of bell-ends who grow up in Tooting. :thumbsup:
Defining him by his religion AGAIN :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree. But if there is a major issue here, we need to know the extent of it. Surely we don't want laws driven by intolerance?
Indeed, I don't see the need for it to be banned. I'd like tighter laws on preaching intolerance though.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I agree. But if there is a major issue here, we need to know the extent of it. Surely we don't want laws driven by intolerance? This is the problem with plebicites on everything and why we elect MPs.

But the elephant in the room, is when people dressed up as Christian extremists start driving articulated lorries into crowds, stabbing train passengers or bombing journalists, you might find laws and enforcement become more even handed. Instead there is a climate of mistrust.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apropos of nothing, 'Burqa' is an Arabic word but when spelt using the Latin alphabet we usually use a 'q'. Who decided that? You'd think that when we spell words from other languages that don't use the Latin alphabet that we'd make it phonetic - that just sort of makes sense to me but no, we use very odd letters to represent the sounds. And where Burqa is spelt with a 'k' there's usually a silent 'h' after it - burkha. What's the point in having a silent letter in a word that has been specifically borrowed from another alphabet?

See also Beijing, karaoke, czar... this has puzzled and bothered me far more than it should.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here