Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

According to the Telegraph we've voted to ban the Burqa

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Why? It is not a religious decision but a cultural one. It's a free choice and we are a free Country. They should be allowed to wear what they want.

It's also my free choice if i wish to wear a balaclava. How do you think that would go down if i walked around a busy town, into a bank wearing one?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Who said he defines himself through his religion? And who are you to decide he isn't moderate just because his wife wears a burkha? You don't even know him.

YOU defined him by his religion and YOU labelled him moderate not me.

So why do you define him as moderate, what part of his religious life is moderate ??

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's also my free choice if i wish to wear a balaclava. How do you think that would go down if i walked around a busy town, into a bank wearing one?
You wouldn't be allowed to wear a balaclava in a bank, and you shouldn't be allowed to wear a burqa in there either.

But if you want to wear a balaclava on a hot summers day in the street, you fill your boots. You'd look very odd though, much as women wearing burqas do (IMO).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I wouldn't mind, and would try and ban it. Does this help?

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
You wouldn't be allowed to wear a balaclava in a bank, and you shouldn't be allowed to wear a burqa in there either.

But if you want to wear a balaclava on a hot summers day in the street, you fill your boots. You'd look very odd though, much as women wearing burqas do (IMO).

If a bloke got on a packed train in London with back pack and balaclava on you wouldn't bat an eye lid?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
To be honest,some of them are so hideously ugly they do us an enormous favour covering up.Wish a few more would!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

So why do you define him as moderate, what part of his religious life is moderate ??
Eh? I merely said he was a Muslim, in order to make the point that his wife wears a burqa.

Why does it matter what part of his religious life is moderate?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A majority of the British public are in favour of banning the burqa in public, a poll has found, while almost half say the burkini should be prohibited.

When did this poll take place, and how many people were actually asked? How do they know it's the majority of the British public, unless all of the public were asked.
It's a stupid ignorant statement, imo.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I wouldnt lend the term moderate to any colleagues from any other religion that so demonstrably show their allegiance to their religion.

Quite. The wearing of crucifixes is only ever a sign of Christian fundamentalism, and the adornment of the Star of David is clearly only there to represent Jewish superiority.

And don't get me started on the Dukla Prague colours worn by the Dalai Lama.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Out of interest what sort of answer are you expecting?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Or so he says....
Why would I not trust what he says any more than anybody else?

Either....
Sorry, what was your point again?

Would I trust someone wearing a balaclava and a backpack? No.
Would I trust someone wearing a balaclava without one ? Well it would look suspicious. You'd have to wonder why anyone would choose to wear a balaclava in daylight.
Would I trust someone wearing a burqa and a backpack? Honestly, I would be very nervous, even if it was unjustified.
Would I trust someone wearing a burqa without one? Yes, I'd assume they were wearing one for cultural reasons.

It's not simple and as such I don't have strong opinions. But I do feel a decision to ban the burqa driven by intolerance is not very wise.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't say I've got strong opinions on this subject one way or the other. There are good arguments on both sides. I would just err on the side of caution simply because our tolerance as a nation hasn't done us much harm.

When you consider the number of illegal wars we have waded into compared to the number of domestic terror attacks from fundamentalists as a response, I'd say we do alright, and that is largely down to the tolerance of our people IMO.
I think we also need to credit our security services. I have no idea how they manage to stop there being more attacks.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You may be asked to remove it in a bank, the same way as motorcyclists are asked to remove their helmets. That's not quite the same thing as banning it completely though is it? And I DO walk round Brighton wearing a ski mask in the winter. No one cowers in doorways expecting me to shoot them with a sawn-off shotgun. Simster's analysis is spot-on,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here