Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

According to the Telegraph we've voted to ban the Burqa

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My point was the reason for the Burqa being to portray Modesty. The level of modesty they portray is up to them and if women want to walk down the street half naked that's up to them as well and I am happy with that too

Yes...and the muslims have hijabs which no-one is complaining about and is comparable with nuns' attire. Repeat - this thread is about the burqa.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Clearly they should be forced to change into something more appropriate like a bikini.

Another one missing the point by a country mile. This thread is about burqas. Not about burqinis, not about hijabs. Please point me to the post where someone criticises hijabs.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Another one missing the point by a country mile. This thread is about burqas. Not about burqinis, not about hijabs. Please point me to the post where someone criticises hijabs.

It's part of a wider debate. I never said that anyone on this thread criticised hijabs. Sorry if you feel I went off topic but my post was related to Noo's.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's part of a wider debate. I never said that anyone on this thread criticised hijabs. Sorry if you feel I went off topic but my post was related to Noo's.

Hmm...from where I'm sitting it looks like someone trying to prove some equivalence between the oppression of Islam and Christianity...yet again.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Hmm...from where I'm sitting it looks like someone trying to prove some equivalence between the oppression of Islam and Christianity...yet again.

In the case of the woman in the burkini in France and the nuns on the beach there is some equivalence, isn't there?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What's wrong with the Burkini ? It's some sort of attempt at integration and really isn't much different to beach wear worn by kids to protect against the sun (especially in Australia). Apologies if I'm derailing the thread but I have only read page 1 and this one.
Back on the thread topic I agree with the sentiments of the ban as the Burqa excludes the wearer from society. However it is not the business of Government to determine what people wear any more than it is to decide when they should go to the pub (Jeremy..just in case he reads NSC..unlikely I know but it is a Brighton website after all :) ...couldnt resist the gentle dig from here in rural Suffolk..I of course love the big city lights of Brighton)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think the "point" has been pointed out enough times to sink in. If you can not see the difference between a Nuns attire and a Bhurka, then i suggest you pop down to specsavers rapid.

I said there was a similarity between a woman wearing a burkini and nuns wearing a habit on a beach. Explain the difference please.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Am I the only person who sees a woman (could be a man as I can only see the eyes) in a burqa and thinks of the Deatheaters from the Harry Potter films?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I said there was a similarity between a woman wearing a burkini and nuns wearing a habit on a beach. Explain the difference please.

You said earlier that you were picking up on NooBHA's point - he said that nun's wear similar attire (he was referring to a burqa - at no point did he mention a burqini) and I pointed out that they do not. There is no equivalent attire to a burqa widely worn by nuns. So you posted a picture of nuns on a beach to which it was pointed out that no-one on here had a problem with that or with burqinis despite you trying to manufacture an argument.

So your point is irrelevant. We discuss burqas - you mention that habits and burqinis are similar, people say "so what?" It's a classic whataboutery technique when comparing Islam with Christianity, cf. ISIS and Westboro Baptist Church.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I could put up a similar statement to the one above (Buzzers) but i can not be bothered, so just read his twice please.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You said earlier that you were picking up on NooBHA's point - he said that nun's wear similar attire (he was referring to a burqa - at no point did he mention a burqini) and I pointed out that they do not. There is no equivalent attire to a burqa widely worn by nuns. So you posted a picture of nuns on a beach to which it was pointed out that no-one on here had a problem with that or with burqinis despite you trying to manufacture an argument.

So your point is irrelevant. We discuss burqas - you mention that habits and burqinis are similar, people say "so what?" It's a classic whataboutery technique when comparing Islam with Christianity, cf. ISIS and Westboro Baptist Church.

I haven't commented on burkas at all as far as I'm aware and already apologised if you thought I'd gone off topic. My post alluded to the burkini and I mentioned that it was part of the wider debate.

For what it's worth, I'm no fan of the burka. I think it puts up a wall and isn't conducive to a integrated society. However, I'm not comfortable with the government telling people what to wear either.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Answers my question as well. I will back out of this thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here