According to the Telegraph we've voted to ban the Burqa

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think the letter c is phonetic and it's silent in the word czar.

I have always slightly pronounced the c, ie c-zar. Googling it isn't clear either. You're right about the others though.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No doubt people would double take. Natural. Then they may get chatting away and everyone has a good time with someone who has a slightly different outlook but is essentially the same. A human. Unless you're there, in which case it'd probably be a bit shit anyway.

Seem to have a problem debating issues these days Nibble, just seem to offer abuse instead?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Apropos of nothing, 'Burqa' is an Arabic word but when spelt using the Latin alphabet we usually use a 'q'. Who decided that? You'd think that when we spell words from other languages that don't use the Latin alphabet that we'd make it phonetic - that just sort of makes sense to me but no, we use very odd letters to represent the sounds. And where Burqa is spelt with a 'k' there's usually a silent 'h' after it - burkha. What's the point in having a silent letter in a word that has been specifically borrowed from another alphabet?

See also Beijing, karaoke, czar... this has puzzled and bothered me far more than it should.

Karaoke is the correct spelling. It's the direct transliteration of the Japanese. We just mispronounce it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If it were phonetic then it would be s-zar. Surely?

Not if you pronounce the c as in cedar like I do. Maybe it's just me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I probably pronounce it the same as you do - with an 's' sound. That's what I mean about 'c' not being phonetic.

I'm with you now. :thumbsup:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Arab culture plays a big part in the backwardness of modern day Islam.

The burqa for one is an Arab thing. Tunisia banned "islamic headwear" because it's government viewed it as symbol of Arabic clothing not Islamic.

Anything Arabic culture touches these days goes to the poop. The arab world has gone from having some of the greatest scientific minds in history to being so overwhelmingly underrepresented in the scientific community it's pathetic.

The sooner Islam can seperate itself from that influence the better. Otherwise it will remain the most backwards of ideologies for a long time.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think they wear burka's to cover their bad hair days

Or something more sinister ...

cylons-in-burkas.gif

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Nuns wear a similar attire................................. They probably wouldn't even have similar pole run by that newspaper.

Nuns wear the outfit for a similar reason ..............''Modesty'', nothing more sinister than that and it has been part of our lives for hundreds of years without any need for comments or polls

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Nuns wear a similar attire................................. They probably wouldn't even have similar pole run by that newspaper.

Nuns wear the outfit for a similar reason ..............''Modesty'', nothing more sinister than that and it has been part of our lives for hundreds of years without any need for comments or polls

nuns.jpg

Clearly they should be forced to change into something more appropriate like a bikini.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I don't think you've thought this through. This is about a burqa. Nuns don't wear anything that covers their entire face like a burqa does. The nearest thing in Islam is a hijab and I don't recall anyone calling for a hijab ban.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't think you've thought this through. This is about a burqa. Nuns don't wear anything that covers their entire face like a burqa does. The nearest thing in Islam is a hijab and I don't recall anyone calling for a hijab ban.

My point was the reason for the Burqa being to portray Modesty. The level of modesty they portray is up to them and if women want to walk down the street half naked that's up to them as well and I am happy with that too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports