Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Academy offers

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The Academy currently trains where I work and they had a trial game against Sussex Schools the other day and some of the Football was brilliant. They must have been 10,11,12 sort of age and they were all getting the ball down, looking for passes and it looked really good. Only a few times did I see the ball played long in the 10mins I saw and that was only when it was the last option. Some of the Football there was miles better than a lot of mens Football you see around Sussex.

I would say that if you have the chance for your lad to train with them then 100% get involved.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The discussion about the merits and demerits of individual bonuses for highly specific perceived benefits is instructive. I've found the same in my businesses - no matter how well intentioned they are, and no matter how hard you try to put in place fair, measurable targets to hit in order to get the bonus, there are always wrinkles that you haven't thought about in advance and there always unintended consequences, that are nearly always detrimental to the overall good of the business. As a result, I now have only one target for all members of staff in each business. If the business hits the target, everyone gets a bonus; if it doesn't no-one does.

Applying the same logic to football, ultimately the only thing that matters (results-wise, at least) is that "our" team wins. My view would be that if parents wish to reward their offspring for good play, they should pool their contributions and spread them evenly across the team in the event that they win the game. fwiw, and all imo, of course.

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
My son is in the academy and it will be a massive commitment from you and your son,but they are coached to play football from back to front and is a pleasure to watch.as a brighton fan ,your son may get the chance to play and train on the Amex pitch as my son has.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
THIS! THAT'S WHY WE CAN'T HOLD ONTO THE BALL IN THIS COUNTRY BECAUSE ITS ALL ABOUT SCORING FROM AN EARLY AGE AND NOT ABOUT TECHNIQUE AND POSSESSION FROM BACK TO FRONT.
Don't show them a goal till they are 15 and the development would be better.

Wasn't this method tried on Danny welbeck? Hence why he's technically good, plays for the team, but not entirely sure what the white sticks at each end of the pitch are for.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
My son was in the academy last year, it was brilliant for him. My son is very good but some of the other kids were unbelievable. He is a a striker and I never give him money for scoring, just plenty of high fives and tell him I'm proud!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Any kid playing football that needs financial gain as an incentive will probably never make it as a pro.
Attitude is as important as ability so giving them money as reward isn't helping them in the longer term IMO.
Any career I might have had was cut very short by injury sadly but my motive for playing the game would never have been for financial reasons. That would have been the bonus side of playing the game that I love.
Just throw your money at supporting him by buying decent boots and any equipment that he needs if you have to but don't give him money for scoring goals. After all, the coaches may not see him as a striker so if he gets coached as a central defender how is he going to respond?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
My son was in the academy last year, it was brilliant for him. My son is very good but some of the other kids were unbelievable. He is a a striker and I never give him money for scoring, just plenty of high fives and tell him I'm proud!

Good Dadding Skills!!!

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
Most of the boys that are trailed at an early age, are strikers because they tend to be the best players in their local teams,but they will be played in all positions.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Why does it mater if people give their kids a couple of quid for scoring a goal? How many people give their kids pocket money? Teaches them that they should get something for nothing.

A little incentive never does any harm.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's a needless tackle?

If someone has the ball, he or she should be tackled - there's no such thing as a needless tackle

Player A has ball. Players B,C,D,E,F are all on £1 a tackle. All 5 could be tempted to chase after player A to get a £1 which might not be what is needed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why does it mater if people give their kids a couple of quid for scoring a goal? How many people give their kids pocket money? Teaches them that they should get something for nothing.

A little incentive never does any harm.

Agreed. As long as its not a significant amount. Mine gets a quid!

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
So a Brighton season ticket holder's six year old son has been offered a place at Brighton's brand spanking new academy and you post here asking if he should accept it? As "look at me" posts go, that was a dandy. And paying him for scoring goals? At six years old? Jesus fecking Christ, I think I hate you.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
So a Brighton season ticket holder's six year old son has been offered a place at Brighton's brand spanking new academy and you post here asking if he should accept it? As "look at me" posts go, that was a dandy. And paying him for scoring goals? At six years old? Jesus fecking Christ, I think I hate you.
:) Harsh, but I'd guess you're not the only one to be thinking this...

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
My son is also 6 and is playing his first season, He currently has 36 goals in 8 games and the only bribe that i have given him was in his first game (he got 7 goals), His bribe was a new pair of shinpads. I find that his love of scoring goals is what really motivates him (not in a competetive way either) he beams once he gets that goal

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It contradicts my previous post, but I DO agree with this. Its not something I like really. We told our lad he could have a pound, as a token, if he ever scored, as he knew its something his mates got (he never had scored - not once). Paying them serous money is daft. It could concievably see kids not passing to better placed team-mates, to try to earn themselves another couple of quid.

(Mind you you could say the same about goal bonuses in the pro game...)

That said though this kind of thing is setting them up nicely for the greed and excess of playing football in this day and age. The question I can't help asking is do kids need any more motivation to score a goal? Personally I save the bribes for things my kids don't want to do.

This attitude just adds to the money obsessed, getting something for nothing culture that so many on this board complain about. If this is common practice I don't see things getting any better. What about playing the game for the love of it, what happened to that?

FWIW I have not heard of this being common place in Australia in any sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here