Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Absolute stupidity

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not the cleverest thing to do but does not really surprise as he is becoming a rather tiresome media whore these days.

Bet if it all goes tits up Sunday he will be mailing his CV to Chelsea

Same ref sent Holloway off at Bkackpool, so maybe not the most diplomatic choice for this game

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Honestly, I can tell you now for nothing, the refs at this level - although they're human like the rest of us - are not going to be put off by these mind games. Anyone on here hoping that our chances of success hinge on the ref favouring us because of his poor performance last season is deluded I'm afraid.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Honestly, I can tell you now for nothing, the refs at this level - although they're human like the rest of us - are not going to be put off by these mind games. Anyone on here hoping that our chances of success hinge on the ref favouring us because of his poor performance last season is deluded I'm afraid.

Forget mind games - it is probably useful to remind him how AWFUL he was last time. Refs definitely DO even things up sometimes.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Forget mind games - it is probably useful to remind him how AWFUL he was last time. Refs definitely DO even things up sometimes.

Really? Why, what's the benefit going to be for the ref? He won't pay any attention to the build-up to the game, he won't be reading the forums if he's got an ounce of common sense and professionalism. If he gives us more of the 50-50s, and gets them wrong, he'll be slated by the assessor and possibly demoted for future games. Getting some stick from a stadium full of fans is unlikely to work much in our favour. The team needs to go into the match thinking about how they can best get a result over Palace, not worrying about whether the ref is going to be more lenient this time round.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
actually think it is no bad thing as the ref will be very aware of the need to justify his decisions and act impartially.

If he was a decent ref I think it could work for us but unfortunately he really is a shit ref so dont expect the game to end 11-a-side :(

Provided recognises 'diving' as opposed to a genuine legitimate foul

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Really? Why, what's the benefit going to be for the ref? He won't pay any attention to the build-up to the game, he won't be reading the forums if he's got an ounce of common sense and professionalism. If he gives us more of the 50-50s, and gets them wrong, he'll be slated by the assessor and possibly demoted for future games. Getting some stick from a stadium full of fans is unlikely to work much in our favour. The team needs to go into the match thinking about how they can best get a result over Palace, not worrying about whether the ref is going to be more lenient this time round.

and I am in doubt they will

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bit late to the party isn't he? This was discussed days ago, maybe he has had his mind on how Chelsea were going to do last night and he's just found out :wink:

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I think gus should worry more about the performance of his team rather than that of the ref.

Over the last month we have played well & lost (Bolton) been totally outplayed & won (Cardiff) played fantastic against Blackburn & only drew and played average against burnley & Huddersfield & won then both.

So on Sunday I don't care how well we play or how Good or bad the ref is I just want us to win.no matter what.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Sorry - was anyone on this thread at the Burnley game?

Pawson's performance in that match was so bad - it was beyond belief.

Sent off 2 Albion players.
Allowed Burnley centre half to get away with murder.
Allowed Burnley bench to tell him who to talk to which resulted in at least one of the sendings off.

Having seen all this - does anyone think Gus's comments would make any difference to his performance? I for one can't believe the ref of probably the most controversial match seen at the Amex is doing potentially the most incendiary.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I haven't seen this posted yet, apologises if it has!

Poyet blasts ref appointment From The Argus)

We will now get NO sympathy at all from the ref, I cannot believe Poyet has said this. We were all thinking it, but for a game of this importance why berate the referee before we even play? It#s 11v12 from kick-off now

Does Pawson read the Argus? I'm sure he has more important things to do, like worm his cat or polish his wheelie bin.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
This could honestly go one of three ways:

(1a) Pawson knows he owes us after his shocking performance (even by Burnley fans' opinions) in the game last year. Gus ramps up the tension, we get every 50/50 decision.
(1b) Pawson knows he owes us after his shocking performance (even by Burnley fans' opinions) in the game last year. Gus ramps up the tension, under pressure not to look like he's bowed to media mind games, Pawson gives everything to Palace.
(2a) Pawson thinks he did well in last year's game. Gus ramps up the tension, looks petty and unnecessarily focuses attention on the ref. Under pressure not to look like he's bowed to media mind games, Pawson favours Palace.
(2b) Pawson thinks he did well in last year's game. Gus ramps up the tension, looks petty and unnecessarily focuses attention on the ref. For the want of not looking stubborn and making decisions on the basis of a grudge, Pawson favours us.
(3a) Because he's a ****ing incompetent waste of spunk, he is completely uninfluenced by any mind games, but just gets every decision wrong, for both sides, and walks away smugly earning more than any of us do in a year having inevitably shown a minimum of one red card and awarded at least one penalty, knowing he has the glory of Wigan-Reading or Stoke-West Brom to ruin in future.
(3b - and most unlikely) Pawson hasn't seen the match previews, has no idea of the scale of the game he's about to officiate and has no ego to serve or justify. Undeterred by pressure from either set of fans or backroom-staff media antics, he puts in an exemplary dislay which is noticed by neither set of fans in an electric atmosphere, thus proving his quality as a referee.

3b won't happen, I just put that in for the romantics amongst us. Anyone want to open up a poll on 1a/1b/2a/2b/3a? My odds are at dead even with the exception of 3a, which has snuck fractionally into the lead. Not biased, just ****ing useless.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Now there is pressure on the ref to perform - Good stuff Gus. Anybody who thinks the ref will be biased because of this is stupid.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Sunday is a day when not many games are being played. Why provide a referee of the lower echelons when there are many who will have the day off?

As an aside, why would there be such a disparity in refereeing? If all top flight games were played at the same time, that would tie up 10 brilliant referees.
Ref choice could have been worse....it could've been Prosser

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
With our run of luck I expect a striker or defender for get sent off (or with this guy perhaps both.

What money Ulloa or Greer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here