Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] About time we sent this on a goodwill visit to Jersey

D

Deleted member 2719

What have the French ever done for us.....................kisses and letters are all I can think of.:shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Do people actually get a kick out of spreading bullshit!

The British navy has two fully operational aircraft carriers, HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Queen Elizabeth

I suspect the OP and one or two contributors since haven't been entirely serious about Britain and France sending Aircraft Carriers across the Channel :facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The British navy has two fully operational aircraft carriers, HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Queen Elizabeth

Neither of which could fit in the river Seine at Le Havre! The whole thread is a mickey take.

The article says 98% of fishing licences have been given out so it’s probably a mix up with papers, exactly the same as the Jersey situation earlier this year, when that Bailiwick was slower than Guernsey in issuing their licences.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What have the French ever done for us.....................kisses and letters are all I can think of.:shrug:

Brie god damn it, lovely creamy brie.

177-1778222_homer-simpson-drooling-hd-png-download.png

Stick yer Stilton right up yer arse.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Is that the one with no planes?

Not much point given it hasn't got its planes.

A very expensive and large piece of scrap metal.

You do realise that both HMS Queen Elisabeth and Prince of Wales have a full compliment of planes and are fully operational? 7134aa72-6f42-4cbb-925e-4af46c9f7b2d.jpg They only didn't have planes while they were being built and undergoing SOME of the sea trials , they are also designed to have detachments of planes on board from land based squadrons

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
French and UK have very similar military might. Don't forget the French have 5 Rubis nuclear attack submarines and 1 Barracuda class, not to forget Charles de Gaulle the only non US nuclear aircraft carrier. My French cousins are confident as they do have a few more friends than us too.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Deleted bt poster

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You do realise that both HMS Queen Elisabeth and Prince of Wales have a full compliment of planes and are fully operational? View attachment 141653 They only didn't have planes while they were being built and undergoing SOME of the sea trials , they are also designed to have detachments of planes on board from land based squadrons

Nice boat. Nice planes. How are you going to use them?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You do realise that both HMS Queen Elisabeth and Prince of Wales have a full compliment of planes and are fully operational? View attachment 141653 They only didn't have planes while they were being built and undergoing SOME of the sea trials , they are also designed to have detachments of planes on board from land based squadrons

It seems to me a bit silly talking about sending aircraft carriers across the channel. Can't we just nuke them :shrug:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Nice boat. Nice planes. How are you going to use them?

I never said anything about sending it to the channel Islands to scare the French into letting the trawler go, or pass comment on whether we need them at all, I was just pointing out that they did in fact have planes on them as it has been said they didn't have any.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I never said anything about sending it to the channel Islands to scare the French into letting the trawler go, or pass comment on whether we need them at all, I was just pointing out that they did in fact have planes on them as it has been said they didn't have any.

I know. It just appears to be a bit useless, but I was thinking maybe there is a plan how to use this boat and those nice airplanes?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Which one is in the picture?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I know. It just appears to be a bit useless, but I was thinking maybe there is a plan how to use this boat and those nice airplanes?

well, I am sure there is a whole discussion to be had on the merits of having a military at all and conventional v nuclear, and the various merits of either.

If we are to have a military at all then I think it needs to be equipped properly and at a strength able to fulfil its role. The benefits of having a well prepared military have been demonstrated several times over the past 18 months- those Nightingale hospitals, temporary morgues and the mass vaccination plan and implementation were NOT of civilian design and build and tbh would have taken far far longer without the military

Whether the carriers are a sensible military option as opposed to spending the money on other hardware and personnel is something I am not qualified (and I expect virtually no one on this forum is, if any) to be able to say. Despite any temporary spats with France , the EU, or anyone else, there is undoubted value in NATO, and the UK Carrier Force is well placed to play our role in the joint defence, whilst giving us a strong independent military prescience of our own. The actual carriers are just part of the carrier strike groups which have trrop transports, hospital ships, various support vessles, destroyers etc. They are not meant to be seen as a single enmity, but as part of a much larger military strategy . Look up the UK Carrier Group on google!

As I say there is I am sure a massive argument can be made both for and against having a military, and what type of military that is, and what its role should be. .

The UK Military set up provides humanitarian relief around the world, (Haiti, Puerto Rico, Africa among plenty of others)protects shipping lanes from Pirates,Protects British interests abroad, provides assistance to the UK Civilian authorities in time of need, the list is endless

I for one an grateful we have a (still) sizeable military-but I am biased as I am ex military myself. Others will have differing views

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here