Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] About time we sent this on a goodwill visit to Jersey

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Not nearly as shellfish as the politicians on both sides of the Channel, both seeking to make political gain from this.
The fishermen are just prawns in their shellfish battle - it's just clam and counter-clam.

Enough talking now, we need to send in a bit of mussel.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Election coming up in France?

Thought so.

Just like when Johnson sent a boat there just before a recent by-election, Macron is running scared of the polls.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You do realise that both HMS Queen Elisabeth and Prince of Wales have a full compliment of planes and are fully operational? View attachment 141653 They only didn't have planes while they were being built and undergoing SOME of the sea trials , they are also designed to have detachments of planes on board from land based squadrons

What for? Just to cruise round and round the Isle of Wight?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Election coming up in France?

Thought so.

Just like when Johnson sent a boat there just before a recent by-election, Macron is running scared of the polls.

Not until next year, and I’m not sure Macron could persuade a fishing boat from Shoreham (owned by Scots) to sail into the Seine, without a licence.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You do realise that both HMS Queen Elisabeth and Prince of Wales have a full compliment of planes and are fully operational? View attachment 141653 They only didn't have planes while they were being built and undergoing SOME of the sea trials , they are also designed to have detachments of planes on board from land based squadrons

I clearly didn't know that, hence why my post was framed as a question. I'll be honest, I don't really pay attention to these sort of things.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
In times of crisis "busy giddy minds with foreign quarrels" (Shakespeare's Henry IV Part 2).

Military conflict always handy for the Establishment when it want to divert attention from problems at home.

A good excuse for more hysterical flag-shagging and another opportunity to brand critics as "unpatriotic traitors".

Meanwhile, the country's real problems, affecting millions of ordinary people, are conveniently ignored or glossed over.

Tragically, people repeatedly fall for this 'quick, divert their attention' tactic.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Imaging joining our forces and in the last couple of years having to get involved with:

- Petrol distribution
- HGV driver shortages
- Get involved with Brexit related fishing incidents
- Whatever else I've forgotten

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
In times of crisis "busy giddy minds with foreign quarrels" (Shakespeare's Henry IV Part 2).

Military conflict always handy for the Establishment when it want to divert attention from problems at home.

A good excuse for more hysterical flag-shagging and another opportunity to brand critics as "unpatriotic traitors".

Meanwhile, the country's real problems, affecting millions of ordinary people, are conveniently ignored or glossed over.

Tragically, people repeatedly fall for this 'quick, divert their attention' tactic.

I just love the way that some of the Junior Tory ministers do Zoom interviews with TV journos from their attic or box room with their Union flags standing majestically pleated in the background.... It really is the sort of thing you would have laughed about when the Nazi's did this sort of stuff.... now it is starting to look ever more sinister especially when they lie straight to camera.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Imaging joining our forces and in the last couple of years having to get involved with:

- Petrol distribution
- HGV driver shortages
- Get involved with Brexit related fishing incidents
- Whatever else I've forgotten

Driving Ambulances.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
both side acting like children. this is a minor infingment that shouldnt be worthy of a headline on Fisherman's Daily. probably happens all the time, after all there are hundreds of fisheries enforcement people that have to do something.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I just love the way that some of the Junior Tory ministers do Zoom interviews with TV journos from their attic or box room with their Union flags standing majestically pleated in the background.... It really is the sort of thing you would have laughed about when the Nazi's did this sort of stuff.... now it is starting to look ever more sinister especially when they lie straight to camera.

you're a touch melodramtic. its branding, pretty common for a business to have branded backdrops. having a union jack in the backgroud is hardly comparible to a swastika, unless you're claiming that the union jack itself is facist? what is funny is ministers have these tiny box rooms or cupboards to work from, rather than a proper office that you see in other countries, complete with national or regional flags.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
you're a touch melodramtic. its branding, pretty common for a business to have branded backdrops. having a union jack in the backgroud is hardly comparible to a swastika, unless you're claiming that the union jack itself is facist? what is funny is ministers have these tiny box rooms or cupboards to work from, rather than a proper office that you see in other countries, complete with national or regional flags.

I thought we Brits were pretty comfortable about doing without loads of flags ? By all means bring out the flags and bunting on national celebrations and commemorations but do we need minor ministers doing a piece to camera in a back bedroom with a flag in the background ? Is this trying to establish a "Brand " statement that only the Tories are British ? Could we possibly mistake a man talking to camera in English being French or something ? It just seems to me like we are descending in to some kind of banana republic full of puffed up desk warmers.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I thought we Brits were pretty comfortable about doing without loads of flags ? By all means bring out the flags and bunting on national celebrations and commemorations but do we need minor ministers doing a piece to camera in a back bedroom with a flag in the background ? Is this trying to establish a "Brand " statement that only the Tories are British ? Could we possibly mistake a man talking to camera in English being French or something ? It just seems to me like we are descending in to some kind of banana republic full of puffed up desk warmers.

we are already stuffed full of puffed up desk warmers, but the public or news people like to see ministers on TV, trotting out their prepared soundbites and statements of intent. so a few like a flag, doesnt make it a facist state. far more interesting is the array of books or other decorations carefully curated to project thier image.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
One of my school mates, when we were 5, told me there was a tunnel connecting Easthill House, St Nicholas' Church and an underground nuclear thingy under Shoreham Harbour.

Mind you he also told me that his dad had titted off the Queen!

Lee Smith, if you are alive and well. I salute you :bowdown:

If he had said his dad had done Princess Margaret, you could give it some credence.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
we are already stuffed full of puffed up desk warmers, but the public or news people like to see ministers on TV, trotting out their prepared soundbites and statements of intent. so a few like a flag, doesnt make it a facist state. far more interesting is the array of books or other decorations carefully curated to project thier image.
Ha ha so " A few like a flag ".. Sadly this is a Johnsonion decree rather than a spontaneous outpouring of national pride. in fact it would be lovely to have a poll and ask the members on here their flag ownership status. I wonder how many of us have a Union flag in the attic just waiting for when they start climbing the greasy pole of local politics?

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
You are going to look very silly when Boris gives his next Press Conference.

I am, err, pleased to announce that I, er, sent the honourable Secretary for, erm, Defence off to The Entertainer (Great bunch of British lads) and he has procured a contract for £1b for 1000 planes which also camouflage in the desert. We have also stocked up on Elastic Bands from the soon Lord Theo Paphitis.

View attachment 141648

What an absolutely ridiculous post :facepalm:

Do you really think Boris would get through all that with just three errs and erms?! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here