Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] About time too.....

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It’s a (ranting) love song between an alcoholic and heroin addict. With this particular piece of art, context is everything. If it remains offensive after the Radio 1 audience understands the context then play an amended version - but don’t make the decision before having the debate?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Important to remember this is only a Radio 1 decision at this stage, I guess because their audience a far more likely to find this song offensive but surely with growing pressure local radio and radio 2 will be forced to go the same way? At the very least if they choose to play it they should do like they do with old films now and pre-warn listeners the song will be played so they have chance to switch off and explain the negative and offensive connotations in the song immediately before its played.

Just ridiculous.

If you are on a wind up, fair play, If you actually believe what you post..................

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I concede that the words are offensive but I also have to concede I like the song.

On another note concerning Shane Mc Gowan - I remember going into a bar in North London which seemed to be his Local.

Somehow I expected him to be a hard Whisky or Brandy Drinker - But he was sat at the bar on his own chatting to the Barman and he was drinking '' Dry Martini '' . Somehow it didn't look right him drinking Martini. Maybe he sees himself as James Bond :)

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
Radio one will probably play the karaoke singer Michael Buble and his range of cover versions and his stupid songs.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Radio 1 Xtra are changing the offending Fgot word with Pussyho and good for them I say

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
We don't watch or make things like Love Thy Neighbour or the Black & White minstrel show any more because they're racist. We shouldn't be making or promoting homophobic music any more either even in the name of "art".

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Important to remember this is only a Radio 1 decision at this stage, I guess because their audience a far more likely to find this song offensive but surely with growing pressure local radio and radio 2 will be forced to go the same way? At the very least if they choose to play it they should do like they do with old films now and pre-warn listeners the song will be played so they have chance to switch off and explain the negative and offensive connotations in the song immediately before its played.

Great idea considering that 99% of listeners probably didn't have a scooby about the negative and offensive connotations in the song in the first place!!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not going to affect me so I am struggling to be outraged by it.

Great song though, if people are offended by it then they know that they can listen to a sanitized version of it on radio one. If you want the full on offensive version you've got choices too.

Merry Christmas (your arse, I pray God it's our last.)

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Probably best if we heteros shut up about this and let someone who's gay make a comment :shrug:

I appreciate this is just a Crodo fishing thread but there is an issue here that deserves to be addressed :shrug:

This.

We don't watch or make things like Love Thy Neighbour or the Black & White minstrel show any more because they're racist. We shouldn't be making or promoting homophobic music any more either even in the name of "art".

And this.

And if you actually read the article on the BBC, rather than reacting with a level of outrage that Daily Mail readers would be proud of, it’s actually very sensible from the BBC.

They’re playing a decent, amended version on Radio 1 that is more appropriate for current times and the youth of today who ultimately are their core audience. But if you need to listen to the original, you can on Radio 2 and then it’s down to the individual DJ’s choice in Radio 6.

I can’t see any reason at all for a negative response to this.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
This.

And this.

And if you actually read the article on the BBC, rather than reacting with a level of outrage that Daily Mail readers would be proud of, it’s actually very sensible from the BBC.

They’re playing a decent, amended version on Radio 1 that is more appropriate for current times and the youth of today who ultimately are their core audience. But if you need to listen to the original, you can on Radio 2 and then it’s down to the individual DJ’s choice in Radio 6.

I can’t see any reason at all for a negative response to this.

Yes I agree .
I made the mistake of posting before I had read the actual article.
I thought they banned it completely but now I have seen the plan it's not really a problem and I can't disagree with the BBC's plan.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I am more concerned with modern day over-sexualized pop aimed at youngsters. The explicit pap peddled by the likes of Cardi B and Ariana Grande.
I know I sound like a fuddy duddy here, I don't care. More harmful imo.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
3E4B0EE0-B629-4B4D-9D0F-AAF5AF96F3C0.jpeg

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I am more concerned with modern day over-sexualized pop aimed at youngsters. The explicit pap peddled by the likes of Cardi B and Ariana Grande.
I know I sound like a fuddy duddy here, I don't care. More harmful imo.

Very PG compared to the lyrics of Lil Kim from the 90’s. They’re not doing anything original or groundbreaking — just some marketing men/women whipping up the hype machine to sell a few more records. Yawn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here