Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] abominable refereeing

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wasn’t todays Ref the same turnip that was in charge at the Millwall quarter final a few seasons back ..was a dickhead then ..and the idiot running the line on the East Stand side 🤦‍♂️

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I’d love to see this. The reports I recall seeing only talk about when VAR is actually called upon.
As far as I know, today VAR was only used for Mitoma’s goal. Based on that, we benefitted today from VAR and Liverpool didn’t- is that something you can agree with after watching that game?
VAR looked at the Fabinho challenge

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
VAR looked at the Fabinho challenge
Ah, it didn’t show up on my screen as “checking for xyz” which is what normally happens when they “actually” look at something.
The “checking for offside” came up for our goal, not for theirs - you’d expect to see “possible handball” or “checking possible red card” but nothing…
Technically they do look at everything, don’t they?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Here is the problem with VAR

I’ve said it right from the start and it stopped me shelling out my hard earned to watch the Albion live.

1. Referees before VAR were inconsistent and to now have two of them being inconsistent doubles the issue
2. The on field referee subconsciously knows that he doesn’t have to make the difficult decisions because he has a backstop in VAR.
The VAR ref (in Stoke Poges or wherever the feck they are based), doesn’t want to overturn the on field decision as it is his close colleague who has made the call.

So decisions like Fabinho today just don’t get made at all. Both refs look the other way but for different reasons!!
Perhaps we should have a VAR for the VAR

What a Feckin waste of time it all is.

Oh, and no point celebrating the winning goal as you just knew there would be a VAR check

Huge JOKE being played on the guys who still actually attend live games - much respect to them all

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There have been analysis done on VAR decisions over the last couple of seasons. It shows there is no evidence of bias.

In 2020/21. ironically, It was Albion who benefited the most from VAR.
Not against the big teams, that was VAR decisions against all teams. Don’t think there has been an analysis in that regard.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Here is the problem with VAR

I’ve said it right from the start and it stopped me shelling out my hard earned to watch the Albion live.

1. Referees before VAR were inconsistent and to now have two of them being inconsistent doubles the issue
2. The on field referee subconsciously knows that he doesn’t have to make the difficult decisions because he has a backstop in VAR.
The VAR ref (in Stoke Poges or wherever the feck they are based), doesn’t want to overturn the on field decision as it is his close colleague who has made the call.

So decisions like Fabinho today just don’t get made at all. Both refs look the other way but for different reasons!!
VAR refs don't make decisions on stuff like this though - only on black/white offsides.

The VAR official's role in incidents like that is to decide whether to ask the on-field ref to take another look or not. Ultimately, it is still the on-field ref who makes the decision, never the VAR official.

It would certainly be right to raise how the on-field ref reacts to being asked to "take another look" since it comes with an implicit "you got that one wrong".

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
obviously there's no comprehensive evidence of bias, otherwise we'd hear of it. but there does come a point, after so many so many poor decisions, after so many decisions that would seemingly be guaranteed to be given the other way if a top six team was on the recieving end, that you do have to wonder

'Big Six' - not 'top six'. That's us!

There have been analysis done on VAR decisions over the last couple of seasons. It shows there is no evidence of bias.

In 2020/21. ironically, It was Albion who benefited the most from VAR.
No - not really (it was 2019-20). Let's not keep citing this. Many of the things we 'benefited' from were really things being overturned that wouldn't have been given before VAR. Like very offside goals - that every single person, even the scorer, knew was offside. The Luiz one especially where five Arsenal players were offside, but not flagged because they were the instructions at the time.

1675010453802.png

1675010546785.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You'll see I always stick up for referees. The reason is that the game is never an exact science. It never will be. Howard Webb used to get grief all the time, but you don't referee a Champions League Final and a World Cup Final on a whim.

The fact is that refereeing will unlikely get better because it can't. They are humans and will always make mistakes in live time.

VAR is another matter. Today both of the contended decisions were not refereeing errors. The first was the linesman's call, the second the referee couldn't be sure of the point of contact and VAR should have made it a red.

RDZ said it was a sending off, but also said accidents happen (referring to the challenge). That's how I saw it. Not an intended piece of nastiness, easy to create uncertainty in the refs mind, something that VAR needs to explain to us why it upheld the on-field decision.
Fabhino's foul on Ferguson maybe wasnt an intended piece of nastiness....but this is irrelevant in the laws of serious foul play i.e. a red card. That foul was a red all day long.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Fabhino's foul on Ferguson maybe wasnt an intended piece of nastiness....but this is irrelevant in the laws of serious foul play i.e. a red card. That foul was a red all day long.
Yes, indeed, that is my point. I really struggle as to why it wasn't given. Fabhino himself gave the squinted smile of oops to his team mates. He realised he'd f***ed up and was expecting the card.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
VAR refs don't make decisions on stuff like this though - only on black/white offsides.

The VAR official's role in incidents like that is to decide whether to ask the on-field ref to take another look or not. Ultimately, it is still the on-field ref who makes the decision, never the VAR official.

It would certainly be right to raise how the on-field ref reacts to being asked to "take another look" since it comes with an implicit "you got that one wrong".
same thing. the VAR allows the ref to err, knowing if he was wrong he can get a nod to say it needs checking. which the VAR official is reluctant to do, so we have a complete dogs breakfast. i'd love to know what the ref saw warranting a yellow, but not a red, on Ferguson. even the Liverpool players were surprised.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I'm sure I probably know the answer to this, but does the fact that VAR reviewed it mean that there is no chance that Fabinho would get any retrospective punishment. In the pre VAR days that sort of thing would have led to a 3 match ban, e.g. Andone v WBA a few years ago.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
same thing. the VAR allows the ref to err, knowing if he was wrong he can get a nod to say it needs checking. which the VAR official is reluctant to do, so we have a complete dogs breakfast. i'd love to know what the ref saw warranting a yellow, but not a red, on Ferguson. even the Liverpool players were surprised.
I can forgive the ref not seeing it as a red - he'd have been the wrong side.

But I can't forgive VAR, with the benefit of all angles and views, not directing him to have a look at those same angles and views.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

But that’s the point Bozza isn’t it. Todays decision was wrong or missed and the VAR ref should have referred it
But they don’t sometimes as the referees union takes over
Just a shambles 🤬

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But that’s the point Bozza isn’t it. Todays decision was wrong or missed and the VAR ref should have referred it
But they don’t sometimes as the referees union takes over
Just a shambles 🤬
Yes it should - it was a red and should have been given.

I'm just highlighting that the VAR official NEVER decides on a red card (as was posted above) - it's the on-field ref who does that.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Ultimately the traditional top six sells the premier league around the world and there is an unconscious bias toward them. The FA would rather have Liverpool, Man Utd,
Man City etc, in the Final than us as half of Asia would tune in. Sad but true as the beautiful game is all about the beautiful money. It was a red all day long, just look at Fabinho's expression and the resignation of his team mates. You can tell a lot from players body language.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here