Jul 7, 2003
book_flair_cover.jpg

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I asked a man city sth pal of mine what he thought of razak, he replied -

Great looking young player. Good control, box to box and loads of pace. YaYa junior. Can pass a ball beautifully, but not yet consistently. Same with dribbling- sometimes incredible, sometimes blind alley. A great prospect, hope he makes our final cut.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's absolute class IMO. My mums a city fan and we went and watch the carling cup game at wolves and he was the best player on the pitch. Big, strong, quick, good on the ball, very competetive and got a fantastic range of passing. Also as my sister is a man city/brighton fan we met the players afterwards and he was a lovely lad and signed everything, posed for pics and spoke to people.
Great signing if we do get him!

Great looking young player. Good control, box to box and loads of pace. YaYa junior. Can pass a ball beautifully, but not yet consistently. Same with dribbling- sometimes incredible, sometimes blind alley. A great prospect, hope he makes our final cut.

I have to admit, I was totally MEH about this signing, when I heard about it last night. You two have got me a bit more interested.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Its for 5 Twenty20 games

Must admit I thought he'd be handy for Sussex as an all rounder too.

On a more serious note if thats correct then have we ever had such a cosmopolitan squad and management team at B&HA? How many nationalities is that - and maybe more to come? Gus is getting serious about gate crashing the play offs.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Sounds like just what we need. Exciting signing. Sparrow and JFC and Harley missing out though.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
So another good player than can move the ball quickly. Are we looking to speed up our movement through the middle of the park?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Especially for someone who supposedly doesn't like the loan market!
My guess is that, earlier/start of season, TB said we're not going overboard buying players as we may not go up.

Now we're in the 2nd half the season and near the top/playoffs, let get some class loans in if we go up we can spend, if not, nothing lost (well, compared to spending millions and not going up and stuck with higher wage bill than is necessary).

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
My guess is that, earlier/start of season, TB said we're not going overboard buying players as we may not go up.

Now we're in the 2nd half the season and near the top/playoffs, let get some class loans in if we go up we can spend, if not, nothing lost (well, compared to spending millions and not going up and stuck with higher wage bill than is necessary).

Exactly this. And also, with the cup money we have got they have helped pay and maybe make these loans more possible.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Knowing absolutely nothing about this player I must say I'm excited. Navarro will be missing out more than the others (probably!)

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/manchester-citys-abdul-razak-the-new-michael-essien/

oooo

Last night's Carling Cup clash between Manchester City and Wolves gave Mancini an opportunity to assess his 18 year old midfielder Abdul Razak - whose size, mobility and of course nationality have led to comparisons with the Chelsea enforcer.

It’s always unfair to judge a player on one or two games – especially when he’s just a lad of 18 years of age who is attempting to make any impact in a side amongst such established, experienced personnel. But hell such is the nature of scouting reports.

Here we look at an immensely promising young midfielder in the Man City ranks who, prior to last night’s 85 minutes against Wolves, had only racked up a half of a Carling Cup game plus two late league substitute appearances.

Who is he?

Abdul Razak is a young Ivorian who joined City under a cloud from Crystal Palace – a drawn-out immigration issue that wasn’t resolved until March of this year. Neil Warnock, the Eagles gaffer at the time, described him as the best player he’s ever seen in his age group. Since then Razak has come on leaps and bounds at Carrington and has even already broken into the first team. Mancini evidently rates him highly and his ability and playing style has even prompted premature comparisons to Michael Essien. He is a combative midfielder blessed with tremendous technical ability and has the box-to-box athleticism that Bobby Manc favours.

His contract expires next year and, with rumours that Liverpool are sniffing around, it is imperative for City’s intention to bring through their academy talent and integrate them into the first team that he is quickly tied down to a long-term deal.

How did he fare?

Considering this was his first ever start – against a Wolves side who came out firing from the opening whistle until they were tamed by City’s goal-fest – this was an impressive debut.

Abdul imposed himself well in the centre of midfield, mentored throughout by Nigel De Jong, and noticeably gained confidence as the game progressed. His pass completion rate of 36/42 looks decent at first glance but it must be said that the ones that went awry were pretty glaring; whether they were lapses in concentration or a lack of awareness remains to be seen.

He shielded the ball superbly and his movement off the ball was highly competent, instinctively knowing when to leave his man and when to track him into wide areas.

Doubts persist over his decision making when in possession – on a couple of occasions he drove forward imperiously then visibly looked unsure of his options once he reached the final third.

Until he’s settled and feels fully part of the first team set-up, I’d like to see him concentrate on the simple things. Head up, knock the ball on and be the link man. In this regard there is no better tutor than the man beside him last night in De Jong though ironically it was the Dutchman who arguably had the poorer game.

Verdict

His mobility and physique certainly lend themselves to the Essien comparisons and it was extremely encouraging to see such a young, inexperienced player impose himself so well into a game that had a frenetic opening twenty minutes. Once things started to quieten down however as City took control Abdul’s current limitations showed through as he struggled a little with the one-touch possession and displayed a slight lack of vision. That aside however he is undoubtedly a genuine prospect and City will be extremely keen to secure his services for years to come as he develops into a player of potentially outstanding pedigree.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Found nothing but positive comments on a City message board when he was loaned to Pompey in Oct time... Can anyone find a Pompey board / thread about how he got on there?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I have to admit, I was totally MEH about this signing, when I heard about it last night. You two have got me a bit more interested.

I was totally MEH about this signing, when I heard about it Tuesday night. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here