Abdelbaset al-Megrahi Dead

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well at least it draws a line under 20+ years of embarrassment.

Even though I don't think we're even close to the truth coming out.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have always been concerned at the father of one of the victims who continues to claim that al-Megrahi wasn't responsible. I do understand that he feels there was more to discover (although I think he is looking in the wrong places for the answers he wants) but I have never been convinced that it exonerated al-Megrahi who, as far as I could see, had been rightly convicted. Of course there were others equally, and probably more culpable, but do we punish guilt where it is found or do we sanction it only because we don't have the whole answer? If only to avoid that whole "triumphal return" episode I'm afraid I would have let him die in custody here.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Exactly and all his conviction did was get in the way of finding out the truth, call me cynical but that may well be what certain people wanted.

we live in a world of conspiracy theorists and this is one instance where there was clearly so much more to discover. The convenience is that his conviction was used to conveniently draw a line beneath further meaningful investigation.

I am far from convinced, however, that there can be meaningful doubt about al-Megrahi's culpability. That, in my view, needs to be separated by the conspiracy merchants from hounding down government agencies' potential involvement (whichever particular government they want to attribute blame to).

Was he the ONLY murderer? Clearly not. Was he one of those involved? On the weight of evidence, without reasonable doubt in my opinion.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
we live in a world of conspiracy theorists and this is one instance where there was clearly so much more to discover. The convenience is that his conviction was used to conveniently draw a line beneath further meaningful investigation.

I am far from convinced, however, that there can be meaningful doubt about al-Megrahi's culpability. That, in my view, needs to be separated by the conspiracy merchants from hounding down government agencies' potential involvement (whichever particular government they want to attribute blame to).

Was he the ONLY murderer? Clearly not. Was he one of those involved? On the weight of evidence, without reasonable doubt in my opinion.

Everybody loves a conspiracy theory of course they do but if you strip out the fact that someone had to be held responsible for this crime and look at all the evidence on what al-Megrahi was convicted on you can clearly see that this was a miscarriage of justice not a conspiracy theory.

If you also listen to what Jim Swire said about the conviction and he knows a lot about the case than most he's certain al-Megrahi was innocent.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I have always been concerned at the father of one of the victims who continues to claim that al-Megrahi wasn't responsible. I do understand that he feels there was more to discover (although I think he is looking in the wrong places for the answers he wants) but I have never been convinced that it exonerated al-Megrahi who, as far as I could see, had been rightly convicted. Of course there were others equally, and probably more culpable, but do we punish guilt where it is found or do we sanction it only because we don't have the whole answer? If only to avoid that whole "triumphal return" episode I'm afraid I would have let him die in custody here.

Ah but there are others who are victims who take the scattergun approach they didn't want Magrahi released in case he did do it and at the same time wanted Ghadaffi blamed in case he was involved too but the question is were the Iranians to blame and not Libya who was the easy option at the time

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Two years too late. When is the 'dancing on his grave' celebration?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
If you also listen to what Jim Swire said about the conviction and he knows a lot about the case than most he's certain al-Megrahi was innocent.

Sadly, whilst I understand his perspective and his motivations, for exactly those reasons I greatly question his judgement

I think ChickenRunner61 has a worthwhile perspective

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
Sadly, whilst I understand his perspective and his motivations, for exactly those reasons I greatly question his judgement

I think ChickenRunner61 has a worthwhile perspective

So what do you believe are his motivations for accepting that the man who was convicted of killing his daughter is actually innocent?

And what piece of evidence that al-Megrahi was convicted on do you believe makes his conviction 100% safe?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
So what do you believe are his motivations for accepting that the man who was convicted of killing his daughter is actually innocent?

And what piece of evidence that al-Megrahi was convicted on do you believe makes his conviction 100% safe?

I think Swire is desperate for it to be proven unequivocally that his daughter died as a result of a much greater conspiracy. He is certain that much has been hidden and I am sure that most right minded people would agree.

His view is that by finding one (very lowly) person on whom to hang the blame the "authorities" were able to ignore others who they knew were much more heavily involved in plotting the bombing. He wants those people held to account and by transference he has determined that al-Megrahi playing a minor part has been victimised. Frankly I agree but I am equally sure that there was evidence at his trial that he did play a significant role even though he was unquestionably not the mastermind. The politics that make it acceptable to then not pursue those primarily responsible may be odious but it is a political and diplomatic standard that pertains worldwide. It doesn't expurgate al-Megrahi's guilt any more than it cleanses others who played a larger part or those who should be charged with pursuing them.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
I think Swire is desperate for it to be proven unequivocally that his daughter died as a result of a much greater conspiracy. He is certain that much has been hidden and I am sure that most right minded people would agree.

His view is that by finding one (very lowly) person on whom to hang the blame the "authorities" were able to ignore others who they knew were much more heavily involved in plotting the bombing. He wants those people held to account and by transference he has determined that al-Megrahi playing a minor part has been victimised. Frankly I agree but I am equally sure that there was evidence at his trial that he did play a significant role even though he was unquestionably not the mastermind. The politics that make it acceptable to then not pursue those primarily responsible may be odious but it is a political and diplomatic standard that pertains worldwide. It doesn't expurgate al-Megrahi's guilt any more than it cleanses others who played a larger part or those who should be charged with pursuing them.

I don't believe he played any part in it and the evidence that he would have brought to his 2nd appeal would have shown that, he only abandoned that after being granted because he knew he was going to die and wanted to die in Libya.

He was convicted on the say of Gauci who turned out not be a creditable witness who was coached on what to say because the story he told did not add up and was paid a handsome $2 million bounty. They have proof that al-Megrahi was not the person who purchased the clothes that were wrapped around the bomb, the fact that he had worked as an intelligence officer and head of security for Libyan Arab Airlines does not make him automatically guilty, but they put 2 and 2 together and came up with 3 which is the answer they wanted.One day the one's who have not taken it to the grave with them will spill the beans.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
There you go. The classic trait of a conspiracy theory........... and when they never do (spill the beans) it will grow and grow

Yes i agree but not in the instance with al-Megrahi, the conspiracy theory is around who was really involved , if al-Megrahi had got his 2nd appeal and shown the evidence that came about after the original trial and subsequent appeal it would have proved he was not involved, no conspiracy in that.He never got to see that day and im sure that some are very relieved about that, the conspiracy theory lies within that.

I have seen and read lots about him and i've seen more evidence that says he was not involved than says he was.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Yes i agree but not in the instance with al-Megrahi, the conspiracy theory is around who was really involved , if al-Megrahi had got his 2nd appeal and shown the evidence that came about after the original trial and subsequent appeal it would have proved he was not involved, no conspiracy in that.He never got to see that day and im sure that some are very relieved about that, the conspiracy theory lies within that.

I have seen and read lots about him and i've seen more evidence that says he was not involved than says he was.

It's the evidence that says he was that counts and whether he might have won a second appeal ?.... well we will never know

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports