Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Mooy *** SIGNED on ONE YEAR LOAN DEAL ***

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Doubt that it will be anywhere near £20m. Most relegated PL sides are in deep economical shit after one season in the Championship. I think Huddersfield will be absolutely desperate to sell, maybe even in January. I dont think they would reject a bid around £10m at this point. Lets say he gets a long term injury in April or something.. it would probably a complete disaster to them. My bet he is joining us permanently in January for £8-12m with a bit of extra if he or Brighton do very well.

If Huddersfield were closer to promotion or if Mooy was two years younger I agree £20m would have been pretty likely but I believe we could do some great business here.

... feels pretty weird writing those numbers after a year of "Routledge is a hero saying no to his match appearance bonus so that Potter are allowed to use him".

I agree. £10m-ish rather than £20m.

It could even be less if the price was agreed at the start of the season.

It will only be a long way north of £10m if the terms of the loan arrangement doesn’t give us an exclusive option and other clubs (though I can’t imagine who) come and start a bidding war.

The fact that his agent is talking about the contract situation and not dropping that contractually he could go somewhere else he says to me that, we have first dibs.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
As l understand it we do not have an option to buy. When the loan deal was agreed last summer, the plan was for Mooy to return to his parent club at the end of this season. He had just signed a new improved deal, and Huddersfield had plans for him.

With a surplus of midfield players, and the then manager favouring a more physical approach to get them promoted back to the Premier League, it was thought that they could do without him this season.

However things have changed drastically, the club has yet another new manager, and they have suffered a glut of long term injuries, (Tommy Elphick being just one of them), are langusihing towards the foot of the table, and are short of players.

To sign new players they need to raise funds, and of course Aaron Looy is their major asset. Let's put in a bid and see what happens. Surely he won't be playing fopr Huddersfield next season.

As I previously posted I'd not heard of any mention of a loan to buy clause. Now we have this report with quotes from Mooy's agent.

It made sense for Huddersfield to give him a new contract as he'd have been able to leave at the end of this season on a free otherwise and although he wanted to play in the Premier League this season and Huddersfield were unable to give him that, at the time of the contract signing how they would fare this season was unknown, it protects the investment they've made in him.

It's entirely possible the option to buy clause is dependent on a few factors. It could have been agreed with Mooy that he signs the new 3 year deal and he's sold at the end of this season if Huddersfield didn't make an immediate return to the Premier League with the loan club getting first option if they remain in the PL. Hopefully we agreed the price as part of the loan deal so his good performances don't push the price up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
£20m for a highly rated experienced PL midfielder and current International doesn't sound overly outlandish to me in the current market, but if we can pick him up for half that then fantastic, it'd be a no-brainer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well the amounts quoted in that article are Huddersfield want £15m and we are looking more £10m.

I’m sure a deal can easily be done if that’s the case

Since the Villa game he has easily looked a £15m midfielder. We won’t get better for less anywhere else, he seems happy here, his Oz mate is here and there’s no way he’s going back to Hudds. Whether we have a clause or not, I suspect the club will try to get this done in January - if we wait until the summer there could be a bidding war and he could get better offers. May be of course that he wants to wait for that anyway........

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
As I previously posted I'd not heard of any mention of a loan to buy clause. Now we have this report with quotes from Mooy's agent.

It made sense for Huddersfield to give him a new contract as he'd have been able to leave at the end of this season on a free otherwise and although he wanted to play in the Premier League this season and Huddersfield were unable to give him that, at the time of the contract signing how they would fare this season was unknown, it protects the investment they've made in him.

It's entirely possible the option to buy clause is dependent on a few factors. It could have been agreed with Mooy that he signs the new 3 year deal and he's sold at the end of this season if Huddersfield didn't make an immediate return to the Premier League with the loan club getting first option if they remain in the PL. Hopefully we agreed the price as part of the loan deal so his good performances don't push the price up.

This is my thoughts. If we don't get promoted then we will let you go. Makes sense all around.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mooy is unlikely to commit to Brighton until our survival is assured, would be foolish for him to switch in January and then end up back in the championship in August

I would think, being there with Potter and his team mates on the front line day after day, he'd have a little more faith by now than some of our fans apparently have.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I would think, being there with Potter and his team mates on the front line day after day, he'd have a little more faith by now than some of our fans apparently have.

I'm sure he has just as much faith as I do. But professionals in a professional world, agreeing to a new contract with Huddersfield as long as he got premier league football this season, wouldn't then jeopardise the chance of playing premier league football next season by switching clubs in January when he could just as easily wait and do it in the summer

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Leeds would worry me. If they got promoted, you'd think they would be interested in someone like Mooy who presumably already has roots nearby.

Stumpy Tim

I'm sorry but we need Dale this Saturday, Sheffield United are a toiugh physical side who like to battle, it will be a game where we need to show character nore than silky skills. They are especially strong in midfield and we need to outbattle them. Bissouma will get his chance again, in a game more suited to his style.

I didn´t say we shouldn´t play Stephens? I commented on Bissouma´s strengths

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Leeds would worry me. If they got promoted, you'd think they would be interested in someone like Mooy who presumably already has roots nearby.

Leeds worry a good number of our fans. Still haven't fathomed why

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I'm sorry but we need Dale this Saturday, Sheffield United are a toiugh physical side who like to battle, it will be a game where we need to show character nore than silky skills. They are especially strong in midfield and we need to outbattle them. Bissouma will get his chance again, in a game more suited to his style.

As we are all but half way through and 40 points is the first priority and seeing as he has hardly be used , where and what teams would suit his style? Stephens has had his day time to look forward with someone thats not afraid to occasionally shoot . We played are arch rivals away in a tough game and he came through ok no worse than Stephens time for a run in the side .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I have a different angle on this... I would be very surprised if this deal isn’t already done. ‘A gentleman’s agreement’ with the fee agreed and the contract being a formality assuming club and player are happy after the probation period.

We have Dan Ashworth here whose job is to always think about the future of the club. There’s no way we go into a loan deal like this without sketching out the deal in advance in a way that benefits the club, or leaving ourselves open to being outbid by another team. It’s just not good long term business.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I have a different angle on this... I would be very surprised if this deal isn’t already done. ‘A gentleman’s agreement’ with the fee agreed and the contract being a formality assuming club and player are happy after the probation period.

We have Dan Ashworth here whose job is to always think about the future of the club. There’s no way we go into a loan deal like this without sketching out the deal in advance in a way that benefits the club, or leaving ourselves open to being outbid by another team. It’s just not good long term business.

But we had no way of knowing that it would work out. (I mean he is clearly quite good, so it was likely) Players get injured, don't settle, don't fit into a system.

If we were that convinced it would work why did we do loan first and not just buy him outright? (terribly old fashioned I know)

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
But we had no way of knowing that it would work out. (I mean he is clearly quite good, so it was likely) Players get injured, don't settle, don't fit into a system.

If we were that convinced it would work why did we do loan first and not just buy him outright? (terribly old fashioned I know)

Was this a last minute deal? If so, perhaps there wasn't enough time to sort out the details before the time was up. Also, try-before-you-buy is a good way of ensuring there is a good fit with the rest of the team.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
As l understand it we do not have an option to buy. When the loan deal was agreed last summer, the plan was for Mooy to return to his parent club at the end of this season. He had just signed a new improved deal, and Huddersfield had plans for him.

With a surplus of midfield players, and the then manager favouring a more physical approach to get them promoted back to the Premier League, it was thought that they could do without him this season.

However things have changed drastically, the club has yet another new manager, and they have suffered a glut of long term injuries, (Tommy Elphick being just one of them), are langusihing towards the foot of the table, and are short of players.

To sign new players they need to raise funds, and of course Aaron Looy is their major asset. Let's put in a bid and see what happens. Surely he won't be playing fopr Huddersfield next season.

We do have an option to buy.
Been told by someone who really does know!!?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I don't think Huddersfield would have agreed to a sale in August as they had ambitions of getting back to the Premier League at the first attempt and obviously would then want Mooy back with them next season had that happened. The new contract for Mooy with a loan move and the promise to sell him if they didn't get back up, with us having first dibs keeps everyone happy. We get the player we want with the possible option to buy, Huddersfield can get a fee for him which helps balance the books if they don't go straight back up and Mooy gets his wish to continue playing in the Premier League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here