Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly / Ireland squad [in, out, in, out, shake it all about]

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Well would you look at that the panic that has set in already, I’ve been literally flamed on here for saying this was the worst window since we’ve been in the PL. One or two injuries, covid, suspensions and we are fooked.

Don’t worry though Dan Ashworth put a nice little video together for all the happy clappers to drool over. F.cking disgrace this was allowed to happen, Lallana the crock, a squad player and a kid from a noddy Swiss league for a supposed ambitious PL side :facepalm:

You have basically copied what i've been saying for weeks. :lolol: But you are right.

I've said it many time that Lallana will prove to be a terrible signing.

Potter has his work cut out keeping this lot up.

janesmith

Oct 2, 2020
New York
Did I hear that right?

Covid? Injury?

Maybe it's right.

https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/aaron-connolly-adam-idah-1088007

Aaron Connolly and Adam Idah have been removed from the Ireland squad as the FAI released a statement to confirm a second member of the senior team has tested positive for COVID-19.

It is as yet unconfirmed who the individual is, but the FAI released a statement on Thursday evening, stating:

"The Football Association of Ireland can confirm that a second member of the Senior Men’s international team backroom staff has tested positive for coronavirus ahead of tonight’s UEFA EURO 2020 Play-Off Semi-Final against Slovakia.

"The FAI employee had tested negative in Dublin on Tuesday morning but a positive result came from a test in Bratislava on Wednesday. He is asymptomatic and is feeling well.

"COVID-19 protocols have been executed and both UEFA and the HSE have been informed of this development. UEFA have also confirmed that the fixture against Slovakia tonight is not affected by this development. The Ireland squad and staff will be tested, as per UEFA protocols, in Dublin on Friday.

"The FAI will not make any further comment ahead of tonight’s UEFA EURO 2020 Play-Off Semi-Final against Slovakia."

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
All this has shown is that we are VERY vulnerable with the options up top. Considering DA in his little video said that AJ and AC were 2 of our options and we have a C19 scare and an injury we are immediately down to bare bones....

Ignoring the panic etc but it certainly doesn't do anything other than highlight the most glaring issue we face irrespective of any nice video the club put out.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Just watched Stephen Kenny's interview and he doesn't seem happy with the situation. It does sound a bit like he's covering up this cock up with the team sheet by the admin staff :lolol:

"We have different rules in Ireland to the UK, they're more stringent. They would be deemed close contacts to one of our non footballing staff, but it was very harsh to rule them out as they're perfectly fine, there's nothing wrong with them. In the UK they would have been perfectly fine to play but Ireland has more stringent rules and we had to abide by the medical advice.
We appealed it on the basis they were 1.7m-1.9m away [from the non footballing staff member] as opposed to 2m which would've made them ok but that wasn't deemed sufficient so that's the way it goes, we cant do anything about that. The two lads feel fine, they're perfectly fine.
We don't have any issues in the camp at all really to be honest with you, it's just an issue with a non footballing member of staff, everyone's fine in the camp and it's just one of those rules we have to adhere to really, that was it."

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12099620/kenny-a-cruel-defeat

I agree - sounds like a complete load of horseshit. Johnny the kit boy has a cough and 2 players step forward to say they were 190cms away from him at one point and not 200 cms. I mean are we really expected to believe this nonsense.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Ah come on, it reads to me That Connolly will likely be available for the Palace game .The Argus article speaks of stringent rules that would not infringe U K regulations.
Re new strikers? They are hard to come by and cost a fortune. Like all clubs Albion are losing loads of money due to Covid. Just how much money do you expect Tony Bloom to cough up? Is his own business as profitable at this time?
I would rather have a financially stable club than a flash-in-the-pan successful one.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Ah come on, it reads to me That Connolly will likely be available for the Palace game .The Argus article speaks of stringent rules that would not infringe U K regulations.
Re new strikers? They are hard to come by and cost a fortune. Like all clubs Albion are losing loads of money due to Covid. Just how much money do you expect Tony Bloom to cough up? Is his own business as profitable at this time?
I would rather have a financially stable club than a flash-in-the-pan successful one.

I would rather Tony did the following:

- instead of a £2m loan fee for Duffy, sell him for the circa £10m people were willing to pay
- instead of loaning Matt Clarke - sell him for circa £5m
- don’t spend £8-10m on two untried prospects who aren’t even at the club + another £3.5m on a striker from the Swiss second division

Add all that together or even a combination of it and you have the £15m or so to go and get a decent back up striker.

All these purchases for the future will count for nothing if we end up relegated because we don’t have cover up front. I hope I am wrong but it smacks of the club trying to be just a bit too clever.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Worst case scenario is he'll miss 1 game - big deal. Gives Zeqiri a chance at Palace to show us what he can do. Might be a blessing is disguise. Looking forward to seeing him play.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I would rather Tony did the following:

- instead of a £2m loan fee for Duffy, sell him for the circa £10m people were willing to pay
- instead of loaning Matt Clarke - sell him for circa £5m
- don’t spend £8-10m on two untried prospects who aren’t even at the club + another £3.5m on a striker from the Swiss second division

Add all that together or even a combination of it and you have the £15m or so to go and get a decent back up striker.

All these purchases for the future will count for nothing if we end up relegated because we don’t have cover up front. I hope I am wrong but it smacks of the club trying to be just a bit too clever.

Naylors article in the Athletic today says there are 2 transfer pots. The development pot is the one used to bring in all the new future first team/sales and a separate pot for immediate first teamers.

Tony is playing the long game

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I have it on good authority that Aaron Connolly is currently self-isolating in a sealed shipping container on a barge moored in the Irish Sea until 22nd October.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I'm not shooting but isn't he being fed a diet of Vesta Chow Mein and Fondant Fancies for optimum sustenance as recommended by the Albion's dietician?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Naylors article in the Athletic today says there are 2 transfer pots. The development pot is the one used to bring in all the new future first team/sales and a separate pot for immediate first teamers.

It's a great article. Very encouraging for our club and illuminating about how our system works. Might discourage some of the 'less knowledgeable' comments on NSC, yet somehow I doubt it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Worst case scenario is he'll miss 1 game - big deal. Gives Zeqiri a chance at Palace to show us what he can do. Might be a blessing is disguise. Looking forward to seeing him play.

1 game, big deal. But it highlights the very real and present danger that we could be down to 1 or zero strikers very quickly.
Regarding Zeqiri, I’ve got absolutely nothing against the lad and he’s got all of my support, but I really wouldn’t be pinning too much hope on a kid who’s been playing League One standard football. Remember he was due to be loaned straight back out but once it became apparent we weren’t signing an experienced striker they started talking him up as a first team player.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I am sorry but how are only two members of the squad deemed to be close contacts of two of the backroom staff. Thats absurd.

I am going with the teamsheet cock up theory.

Really easy for 2 players to have close contact with backroom staff. Not saying this is what happened at all but to give a scenario it could be a physio that has tested positive and both those players have had a session with them. Close contact in the gym, had a deep tissue massage by them, etc. Could be a strength and conditioning coach going through certain exercises with them. Or even they just sat near them travelling over for the match. Not too far flung to think there could be close contact between backroom staff and players.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
According to the Irish Manager the irish close contact rules are more stringent than in England and he would have been able to play if English rules applied.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
1 game, big deal. But it highlights the very real and present danger that we could be down to 1 or zero strikers very quickly.
Regarding Zeqiri, I’ve got absolutely nothing against the lad and he’s got all of my support, but I really wouldn’t be pinning too much hope on a kid who’s been playing League One standard football. Remember he was due to be loaned straight back out but once it became apparent we weren’t signing an experienced striker they started talking him up as a first team player.

I fully appreciate that, but we've got what we've got. Yes, I wanted another 1st team ready striker but it didn't happen. Who knows a surprise opportunity for Zeqiri might just see him grasp it - who knows?

I think though that throughout this season we have to accept that there will be times when one, two, or even three players or more might be sidelined due to Covid issues (like West Ham & Man City recently) so it's something we're going to have to get used to. To this end the full squad may well be utilised far more than many of us thought this season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I don't know why people can't see this - it's not like it's a new thing for us.............:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here