Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A27 between Beddingham and Polegate

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Just after Charleston manor? So many accidents there. There's always a bit of police tape to be seen somewhere in the hedges there. It's a nasty bend, and on a bit of a camber.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Really? I always thought the Manor was there? I'm sure I've even been there?

Edit - Just googled it, and it is where I think it is. Just called Charleston House. My mistake.

The two buildings are rather similar, but about five miles apart.

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-295734-charleston-manor-cuckmere-valley-east-su

smallmanorfront.jpg

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-292908-charleston-firle-east-sussex

House%2BExterior%2B13%2B-%2BPenny.jpg

Last edited:

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Went through the spot where the accident was, today. The board asking for info was up. It's a stretch with no overtaking, but most of the road does allow overtake. Surely a complete overtaking ban would be a help on this stretch.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They really do need to review this stretch of road. Apparently it has more deaths than any other A road in the country

Not true.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not the police doing those checks. It is uniformed VOSA officers.

The police also use the layby at times as well as VOSA (there's a weighbridge there).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Went through the spot where the accident was, today. The board asking for info was up. It's a stretch with no overtaking, but most of the road does allow overtake. Surely a complete overtaking ban would be a help on this stretch.

There seems to be a few comments on this thread about overtaking. Where does it say someone was trying to overtake in this particular tragic incident?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There seems to be a few comments on this thread about overtaking. Where does it say someone was trying to overtake in this particular tragic incident?

I don't think anybody was suggesting it was, the discussion moved to the general driving issues of the road rather than the actual incident itself.

flint

Jul 9, 2003
eastbourne
It's all down to local MP Norman Baker not approving the upgrade to dual carriage way.
You can drive from Aberdeen to Lewes on motorway or dual carriageway but not the last bit to Eastbourne and the result is lots of accidents between Lewes and Eastbourne. I know people should be careful but until ESCC get away from the idea that a road improvement is to introduce a speed limit the carnage will continue

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It's all down to local MP Norman Baker not approving the upgrade to dual carriage way.
You can drive from Aberdeen to Lewes on motorway or dual carriageway but not the last bit to Eastbourne and the result is lots of accidents between Lewes and Eastbourne. I know people should be careful but until ESCC get away from the idea that a road improvement is to introduce a speed limit the carnage will continue

To be fair you can drive all the way from Aberdeen to just past Tonbridge on the A21 which is another awful piece of road with just the Lamberhurst bypass to give a little relief - generally the road system in East Sussex is terrible.

liam82

Onwards and Upwards
Apr 8, 2007
Eastbourne
Discussing on here is one thing but perhaps people should let the council know their opinion? I did....

Sent to, road.safety@eastsussex.gov.uk

Hello

Following another fatal Crash on the A27 between Lewes and Eastbourne this week will it be taken into consideration that no part of the A27 between these 2 points is really safe for overtaking?
I have to use this road every day and this is the worst section of road I have to use between Eastbourne and Gatwick, I feel that it’s unfair that I have to take additional risk on a daily basis due to the poor standard of the road layout.
Widening the road to a duel carriageway will probably never happen but no overtaking, reduced speed limit or average speed checks could be introduced at much lower cost.

It would be interesting to know the councils position as far as this is concerned.

Kind regards

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

we went all the way from Eastbourne to the Kingstone roundabout on Wednesday and I (as the non driver) took particular notice of the road and there does not look like there are that many places to overtake on that stretch at all and we had a good straight run with no problems apart from one guy who thought it was OK to go round the roundabout at Drucillas and down to Newhaven without indicating.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013

We were talking about the hazards on this road, and overtaking is one prolific hazard. I started this topic in reaction to the accident, but more about the stretch of road in general, not just the specifics of the accident.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
we went all the way from Eastbourne to the Kingstone roundabout on Wednesday and I (as the non driver) took particular notice of the road and there does not look like there are that many places to overtake on that stretch at all and we had a good straight run with no problems apart from one guy who thought it was OK to go round the roundabout at Drucillas and down to Newhaven without indicating.
On my way to work yesterday, I paid particular notice to the overtaking points and there are a fair few. The double white lines dot occur that often.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Speed is an issue - particularly at Middle Farm, but you can put speed limits in all you like - it doesnt mean people will stick to it.

The road should be a dual-carriageway - but in places there is no room for this and it would cost millions to relocate the road, not to mention possibly years of disruption.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
They did sort out the level crossing by the Beddingham though, and turned it into a flyover, so you never know....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Discussing on here is one thing but perhaps people should let the council know their opinion? I did....

Sent to, road.safety@eastsussex.gov.uk

Hello

Following another fatal Crash on the A27 between Lewes and Eastbourne this week will it be taken into consideration that no part of the A27 between these 2 points is really safe for overtaking?
I have to use this road every day and this is the worst section of road I have to use between Eastbourne and Gatwick, I feel that it’s unfair that I have to take additional risk on a daily basis due to the poor standard of the road layout.
Widening the road to a duel carriageway will probably never happen but no overtaking, reduced speed limit or average speed checks could be introduced at much lower cost.

It would be interesting to know the councils position as far as this is concerned.

Kind regards

I understand your general concern about the road, but including this week's fatal collision as some sort of justification for the point you're trying to make is futile, as- once again- there is no suggestion that the incident in question was due to someone trying to overtake.

There are all sorts of reasons why these things happen. Distractions, mechanical failure, medical episodes, being impaired through drugs or alcohol, falling asleep at the wheel, failing to read a warning sign, misjudging a bend, going too fast, inexperience, etc.

Collision statistics are collated and fed back to the local authorities, which then determines which roads are improved, be that by signage, widening, lowering speed limits or whatever. That applies to that stretch of the A27 as much as anywhere else, therefore it can be assumed that East Sussex County Council are in possession of the relevant information and deem current statistics to fall within acceptable parameters.

Incidentally, the A24 is dual carriageway for stretches, yet has a history of fatal accidents comparable with the A27, I would wager. Generally- and I know nobody likes to hear this- it's not the roads that are the problem. It's the driving.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If the road has completely restricted overtaking then it would be more of a nightmare than now. Tractors frequently use the road. I don't really fancy driving several miles needlessly slowly whilst opportunities for overtaking go begging. I often use that road early in the morning and it amazes me how often a driver will go at 30-40 mph on long clear stretches. It wouldn't be fair in that case either.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Sussex is one of the widest counties in England, yet has the poorest roads for travelling east to west through it.

I know it's unlikely that that stretch of road will ever be upgraded to duel carriageway, but if drivers feel the need to overtake then surely it is safer to overtake using a lane where the traffic is travelling in the same direction as you rather than being made to overtake using a lane where traffic is heading head on towards you and at speed. Even if they were to only introduce shorter stretches of duel carriageway which allows an opportunity for safer overtaking.

I know what some people will say in response, that there is no real need to overtake and drivers should be patient, (but what if it's a tractor or someone else moving well below the speed limit, you can see why people try to overtake without speeding) but also this is the real world and because some think like that, should all road users on that stretch be put at greater than necessary risk because we have politicians and decision makers who view Sussex as a backwards, almost medievil rural county and want to try to keep it that way.

Places like Newhaven could have been much more sucessful and vibrant as a port if it had better transport links but surely the poor road network we have stops investment and therefore job creation too in this county. All the time, the cost of housing goes up due to London and it's commuters, but we are left with limited job opportunities in a low wage paying economy and more and more people being priced out of their home towns / villages

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here