Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A27 between Beddingham and Polegate

I use this road daily, and I would suggest there's easily enough traffic. Especially during rush hours.

Middle farm bend up to Charlston is another hotspot.

Can't say I've ever seen any police cars parked in the few lay-bys on this whole stretch? Or bikes, or any kind of police presence. It would be a deterrent.

The only presence stops just after the A26 junction down to Newhaven where police do lorry checks.
It's not the police doing those checks. It is uniformed VOSA officers.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Not true. I go through at midday a lot, and I wouldn't say it runs freely. Usually there's buildup due to some sort of earlier accident or agricultural transport moving at 10miles an hour.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The A27 is dual carriageway for a large proportion of its length apart from East Sussex. It should be dual carriageway between Lewes & Polegate with slip roads.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Heads up to anyone using the A27 tonight & tomorrow night - the A259 will be closed for roadworks. Tonight it's the swing bridge and tomorrow night it's closed in Peacehaven.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
As a daily (often more than twice a day) user of that section of the road, I would suggest that, as well as the overtaking hazards, the right-turning movements off the side roads and on to the main road present real risks.

Overtaking is avoidable, turning right on to the main road usually isn't. Relatively low-cost spending on road junction improvements has been done - piecemeal - over the past 20-odd years, but there are still plenty of dangerous sites where nothing has been done, despite local pressure for action.

Right turns and left turns at Firle, Middle farm, Charlston, Selmeston, The Street, Bopeep lane, Common Way,, Alciston, Berwick village, Station Road, Thornwell Road, Wilmington Street, folkington. All pretty hazardous to get in or out of. Most being at angles to the road direction as well.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'd LIKE to think that people are slowing down because there is a roundabout coming up in about 100 yards, but, no, folk don't slow down for roundabouts do they?

And whoever designed that roundabout is an idiot putting three lanes at the East to West entrance, so many people play chicken with their cars there despite the fact there are miles and miles of duel carriageway seconds in front of them.

Coming home from evening matches I have even seen cars overtake going down the Firle straights, the wrong side of the islands in the middle of the road.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I thought they might do something after Desmond Llewellyn (Q from James Bond) was killed on that stretch in 1999. But if not even a celebrity death made a difference ...

I thought they might do something after Desmond Llewellyn (Q from James Bond) was killed on that stretch in 1999. But if not even a celebrity death made a difference ...
Coming home from evening matches I have even seen cars overtake going down the Firle straights, the wrong side of the islands in the middle of the road.
Part of the reason they built the islands in the middle of the road along the Firle Straight was specifically to discourage the speedy overtaking that led to Desmond Llewellyn being the victim of a head-on collision. But, as Gazwag says, there are still idiots at large.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Although how much of this was the result of an over 80 year old man who was carrying out an irresponsible overtaking manoeuvre

As someone who lives on this very stretch of road and uses it a minimun of two times a day this is something i have reasonably strong sentiments about, a dual carriageway is not the answer however, all that will do is encourage people to travel even faster on an already dangerous stretch of road, one that is dangerous not just because people like to drive like idiots along it (something i see frequently is people overtaking between traffic islands for junctions or even overtaking all the way down the wrong side of the island!!) but also because of several sharp corners and sudden dips and rises in the road. the speed limit was lowered on a large portion of it not so long ago from 60 to 50 and what it needs is enforcement and better junctions! it can be a particular nightmare trying to turn right onto it from the Firle junction as well as others but if it were to become a dual carriageway then it'd be a case of asking many people to travel quite a reasonable extra distance 4 miles + in most cases to get to the nearest roundabout to go back up.... otherwise you're still going to have the same problem with people pulling out across the flow of traffic to go right. probably one of the many reasons why this road has never been made a dual carriageway before. bottom line is yes it is dangerous, yes it is congested as a main trunk road from brighton / lewes through to eastbourne and yes there are a lot of nasty accidents on this stretch of road but 99% is down to people driving too fast for the road / breaking the speed limit / ignoring the conditions and taking unnecessary risks just to get there a few seconds sooner.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So what do you consider a 'safe' speed through there? There's a junction on a blind bend there.

i would consider a safe speed to be what the limit is there - 30mph. just because drivers are going "slowly" doesnt mean they are being safe, often ignore the limits and their behaviour leads, rightly or wrongly to frustration which can lead to accidents.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Part of the reason they built the islands in the middle of the road along the Firle Straight was specifically to discourage the speedy overtaking that led to Desmond Llewellyn being the victim of a head-on collision. But, as Gazwag says, there are still idiots at large.

I stand corrected. But it sort of proves the point about celebrities ...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we drive this road though mostly between 10am and 2pm so its normally quite civilized, it was one of the roads I always looked forward to, as the views along there looking south are beautiful and if we ever won money my last move would be to an address I have always lusted after since a child
CHALVINGTON RIPE
in fact all of those little places along there are just lovely and personally I think a dual carriageway would ruin it completely.

just slow down and enjoy the view

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here