A tribute to The Goldstone

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Whilst I love that montage I have to just say that the Goldstone at the end was a crap hole, weeds growing out of the NE corner and the East stand, Yes it was our home but lets be honest it was falling apart. Lots of fond memories both happy and sad but now is the time to move on. Long live the Amex and the new era of the mighty BHA. Probably gonna upset a few with this but hey ho, opinions are like aholes everyones got one.

Mar 10, 2006
Love watching these clips - brings back so many memories. Does anyone have any clips or footage of the Mansfield boycott game where we broke in towards the end of the first half onto the east terrace.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I posted a load of photos on here before from the Goldstone, including a famous one of the North Stand Loos, but they don't seem to be in my image attachments archive. Do you know where one might find them [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Thank you everyone. Brought tears to my eyes and was also the first time I saw the play off as was abroad at the time.

The Goldstone may be gone but it lives on in our hearts.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There are muppets on BBS who say we did absolutely nothing to save our club and took no direct action
There will always be some Palace muppets that don't know what they're talking about, don't lose sleep over it.

[yt]N0jrXjCQLXY[/yt]
26th April 1997 (with apologies to WH Auden)

Stop all the clocks at 3pm, cut off the office phone,
Silence the North Stand as they sing ”You’ll Never Walk Alone”,
Turn off the PA system and with pipe and drum
Play “Sussex By The Sea”, ere the bulldozers come.

Let seagulls circle moaning overhead
Crying to the sky that our beloved ground is dead,
Tie blue and white scarves about the terraces that I love,
Let PC Beard and Bins wear black cotton gloves.

I stood in the North, the South, the East and West
During my working week and my Saturday rest,
For nigh on twenty years it was my talk, my song;
I thought the Goldstone would last for ever: I was wrong.

The floodlights are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the North Stand and dismantle the Chicken Run,
Pour away the pre-match tea and dig up the pitch for fun;
You may have destroyed our home, but the Albion live on.
:cry:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here's one I put together a few years ago:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whilst I love that montage I have to just say that the Goldstone at the end was a crap hole, weeds growing out of the NE corner and the East stand, Yes it was our home but lets be honest it was falling apart.
So? It was our home and could have been fixed / rebuilt. And even if they hadn't rebuilt it, it was a million times better than playing at Gillingham or the Withdean, and remembering how Archer robbed us and tried to destroy us at the same time brings back a fair amount of emotion.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
So? It was our home and could have been fixed / rebuilt. And even if they hadn't rebuilt it, it was a million times better than playing at Gillingham or the Withdean, and remembering how Archer robbed us and tried to destroy us at the same time brings back a fair amount of emotion.

Agree with the emotion bit, but can't agree that it could of been fixed/rebuilt. If you were asked 15 years ago would/could you wait for what we have today I'm sure everyone would say yes. Gillingham and the Withdean is now part of our history which has taken us to where we are now. I for one am looking to the future however I will not forget the past but that's all it is now, the past.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agree with the emotion bit, but can't agree that it could of been fixed/rebuilt.
Eh? How could it not have been rebuilt, it's just a piece of land.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Eh? How could it not have been rebuilt, it's just a piece of land.

Because of where it was situated, do you think we could of built a 30,000 all seater stadium on that plot. I will give you the answer No, sorry but it would just not have worked. Yes we could of built a much smaller stadium but how far could we have progressed up the league, not to far with a limited capacity stadium. I for one am grateful for the memories of the Goldstone but happy with what we have now.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Years haven't been too kind to my brother in law :)
image.jpg

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
York City. An incredible day on many levels.

Thats one of my of best mates standing there i was on top of the other dug out never forget that day was so intense we went back that night and just remebmer sitting on the terracing crying.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because of where it was situated, do you think we could of built a 30,000 all seater stadium on that plot. I will give you the answer No, sorry but it would just not have worked.
I'd have thought you could to be honest :shrug: (would have needed a bit from the south to go with it)

I for one am grateful for the memories of the Goldstone but happy with what we have now.
Of course, likewise, delighted with what we have now.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Whilst I love that montage I have to just say that the Goldstone at the end was a crap hole, weeds growing out of the NE corner and the East stand, Yes it was our home but lets be honest it was falling apart. Lots of fond memories both happy and sad but now is the time to move on. Long live the Amex and the new era of the mighty BHA. Probably gonna upset a few with this but hey ho, opinions are like aholes everyones got one.
this 100%...Goldstone great memories...but would'nt swap Amex for it!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Agree to an extent but it was falling down because the owners deliberately spent no money on it for years. I'm pretty sure the club had a claim on that land behind the south stand too - was told at the time that the footprint of the ground was as big as Stamford Bridge, so that should have been perfectly adequate to build a modern, large enough stadium. Only major problem was the covenant restricting the height of the East Stand but with the right people on board (ie ones who even made a successful case for building on the edge of a national park), that surely wouldn't have been insurmountable. We're much better off now but that doesn't mean the history needs to be rewritten.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports