Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A thread full of brilliant goals from the 1980s

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was a midweek game. Liverpool were truly scintillating and seemed to be playing at 100 miles an hour for the entire game. Craig Johnston had a cracking game.

As for the Brazil '70 team. Arguably the greatest team of all time (maybe the 50's Hungary team) and ceertainly the best I've ever seen, except for Felix in goal, of course, who was crap but had very little to do. The way they took the piss out of the Italians in the final was surreal.

An arrogant Italian team with Riva, Mazzola and Boninsegna, and a thuggish dark arts Catenaccio system defence built simply to never concede goals.

Brazil took them apart.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m on my phone atm and haven’t looked at all the clips yet.

Has Hoddle’s goal vs Watford at Vicarage Rd been posted yet? Cheers.

If football was poetry and poetry was football, that goal would be the result.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That’s interesting. Any good memories of Holland, or too young?

Your final winter would’ve been cold and snowy.

Oh lots, it left a real impression. One of which was skating and other activities on frozen lakes. Brilliant houses. Great public transport. Cycling made as easy as it should be. Intelligent people always insisting on speaking in English to me. Frites mit saus. Frickendales. Profiterjoles. Kroketten.* Flower displays, especially on moats. (Unfortunately) Zwarte Piet.

*some (many) of these terms will be spelled incorrectly

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh lots, it left a real impression. One of which was skating and other activities on frozen lakes. Brilliant houses. Great public transport. Cycling made as easy as it should be. Intelligent people always insisting on speaking in English to me. Frites mit saus. Frickendales. Profiterjoles. Kroketten.* Flower displays, especially on moats. (Unfortunately) Zwarte Piet.

I love The Netherlands and the Dutch people. They sometimes have a reputation for arrogance and for being too opinionated amongst themselves. To me that’s free spirited, from their interesting history.

I didn’t know about that last thing. Not as bad as Belgium’s Human Zoos :eek: Still running in the 20th century.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Beer with head - we used to ask for 'bier met nee schium' (beer with no foam), which was basically pronounced 'beer mit nay scum' - which amused our simple minds.

Hot chocolate out of vending machines with that squirty cream on top - bliss on a cold day cycling.

Mayonnaise on chips / fries.

And don't forget the tall blonde Dutch ladies with the fabulous accents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here