Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A thread full of brilliant goals from the 1980s

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Can't think of a more exciting team I've seen. And I loved Eder, although not too many remember him.

I loved international football then, my first TV WC was 1974. Falcao and Eder were kind of heroes to me, but pre internet it was hard to find out stuff. I probably had reference books!

My other favourites were the 70’s Dutch. Cruyff is the greatest ever footballer imo. Rinus Michels and Cruyff transformed football forever, modern football including Barca and Citeh is based on their Total Football.

Cruyff, Krol, Neekens, Haan, Rensenbrink, Rep, Van Hanagem .... football gods.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I loved international football then, my first TV WC was 1974. Falcao and Eder were kind of heroes to me, but pre internet it was hard to find out stuff. I probably had reference books!

My other favourites were the 70’s Dutch. Cruyff is the greatest ever footballer imo. Rinus Michels and Cruyff transformed football forever, modern football including Barca and Citeh is based on their Total Football.

I lived in Holland 75-79 but was young but have vivid memories of 78, or at least the jamboree around it. 82 was the first WC that I watched more widely.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I humbly submit thee to the pantheon of screamers

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Zico, Socrates, Eder, Junior and Falcao, some of the greatest ever footballers.

11 beautiful Brazil goals at the 82WC. Starts at 1:37:

If only they’d had a defence.

Same vid I posted on the other thread. Absolutely beautiful.

That team was incredible to watch and after the 82 World Cup football was cemented as my game of choice.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Remember Liverpool destroying a very good Forest side 5-0 at Anfield in about 87 or 88. Total football.

I’d also challenge anyone who things football is always better today than yesteryear to watch the WC final 1970. I wasn’t even born so can hardly be accused of bias and yet I don’t think I’ve seen a better match. Brilliance, great goals including my all time favourite (CA’s) and a swagger you rarely see in today’s ‘high performance’ almost mechanical football.

Jul 7, 2003
I know this was late 70's but any excuse to share the genius that was Frank Worthington.

Sorting through the house the other day, I found my copy of his autobiography - the wonderfully titled "One Hump Or Two!"

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Remember Liverpool destroying a very good Forest side 5-0 at Anfield in about 87 or 88. Total football.

I’d also challenge anyone who things football is always better today than yesteryear to watch the WC final 1970. I wasn’t even born so can hardly be accused of bias and yet I don’t think I’ve seen a better match. Brilliance, great goals including my all time favourite (CA’s) and a swagger you rarely see in today’s ‘high performance’ almost mechanical football.

That was a midweek game. Liverpool were truly scintillating and seemed to be playing at 100 miles an hour for the entire game. Craig Johnston had a cracking game.

As for the Brazil '70 team. Arguably the greatest team of all time (maybe the 50's Hungary team) and ceertainly the best I've ever seen, except for Felix in goal, of course, who was crap but had very little to do. The way they took the piss out of the Italians in the final was surreal.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

It was a football tragedy that Cruyff declined to go to the '78 WC, apparently because he and his family had been held up at gunpoint in their house a while previously and he felt unsafe.

Just think, if it hadn't been for Cruyff it would be known as the Gross Turn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here