Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A striker. Please Tony, for Gods sake, sign us a striker

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Enough said I think.

It's a sad state of affairs when, with 15 odd minutes to go, we bring on 2, yes 2 "strikers", and in my humble opinion, it actually lessened our chances of scoring a goal.

I love Macca to death, but let's be honest, if you need a goal like we did today, he ain't the guy to bring on. And Best is just a waste of space.

Best & CMS had less chance of scoring than if Dunky had been stuck up top instead of both of em.
Is it 24 games without scoring for CMS absolutely shocking & what Hughton saw in Best to bring him in, is worrying for the future.
Seems to be able to organise to keep tight but the attacking combinations seem to be haphazard
Worrying that Kaz our most disruptive player at home was brought on too late & after we are losing rather than to try and win it @ 0-0 like their sub.
O'grady must be gutted to see the crosses flying in for the first time in the game when he is sat, knackered, on the bench, however he should have scored one from a couple of good chances as should have Incey

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The saddest thing is that this was obvious right from when the season kicked off. Sam Baldock as the marquee signing tells you all you need to know unfortunately :nono:

Still, onwards and upwards. I'm not going to moan anymore now about this season and instead just look forward to a fresh start for next season. We've at least got the right manager in place now, and with the right funds available then things can only get better.

Trouble is that yet again we are facing a huge rebuilding exercise after fudging the issue for the last couple of years. We won't splash the cash that is required, which is Tony's choice clearly, and we will be on course for an average season at very best.

Other than Dunk a new defence is needed, perhaps with some stepping up from DS as back up (not Chickson though). Midfield needs creative replacement for Tex, big ask. New winger needed, perhaps two for competition and cover and two quality strikers need to arrive. Probably a ten million investment for us to challenge and I can't see this happening.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Trouble is that yet again we are facing a huge rebuilding exercise after fudging the issue for the last couple of years. We won't splash the cash that is required.

PS How much did Ighalo, Deeney, Martin, Bamford, Gestede cost their clubs in transfer fees ?
(94 goals this season from those 5 strikers. )

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yep you correct, so what is your clever answer to our goal scoring problem?

I'm unfortunately not paid to coach em or spot em but implication from OP was the club need to spend millions to solve this problem. Evidence this year and last (Ings, Vokes, Deeney, Martin, and a certain Chris O Grady who all scored more than Ulloa and cost a lot less) shows that this is not the case.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I'm unfortunately not paid to coach em or spot em but implication from OP was the club need to spend millions to solve this problem. Evidence this year and last (Ings, Vokes, Deeney, Martin, and a certain Chris O Grady who all scored more than Ulloa and cost a lot less) shows that this is not the case.
Oh ok, as you put his argument down, I was expecting you to have an alternative plan to our goal scoring problems.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Watching the replays of some of the cracking goals scored in our Division yesterday is really depressing. As my daughter asks "why can't we do that?" I am once again forced to say that we used to be able to do it (citing Ward, Nelson, Zamora, Ulloa etc.) and talk about what is effectively ancient history from the Goldstone era. At twenty she has seen some good Albion strikers but when will she,or any of us, see another? Please get us some quality in the Summer, Tony........

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Keep Baldock, and O Grady. Sign a replacement (for Best) with same value as Kayam . Perhaps a striker who's struggled in the Prem, lives local and is back in the Champ next season :)
("Splash the cash" is much of a plan as "don't splash the cash" which was admittedly my poor contribution..

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
The whole team looked lacklustre yesterday. They seemed to be in the mindset that we're already safe and there's nothing to play for. I think we probably are already safe and don't understand why we dont experiment , maybe 442 for one game.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Going by results and league positions all season, we need more than just a striker. A whole new team, as the current mob simply aren't good enough regardless of whatever system they are supposed to play. Whether Bloom can afford it is another matter.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Going by results and league positions all season, we need more than just a striker. A whole new team, as the current mob simply aren't good enough regardless of whatever system they are supposed to play. Whether Bloom can afford it is another matter.

I really don't think we do. I genuinely believe that with an Ulloa, or Murray type player in our current side we would have won yesterday, and would be a lot better off than our current position. Not saying that would be a promotion contending side, but definitely 100% better than present.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Great example and I completely agree with you about how far away we are.

Watford break with pace, play their players in the right position and have a decent defence.

We currently have a captain playing and not being dropped because he is captain (he has been woeful this season), then playing a right back with no pace on the wing, essentially playing 4 central midfielders at the time and then sticking COG or 1 other up top on their own. Even Deeney would struggle with how we play.

Too many loanee's that don't give a crap about the club, Agustein who is taking a wage for nothing, liability in defence and failing to push up when ever we get a chance has cost us this season.

This formation makes we wonder though, Poyet, Garcia, Hyypia and Hughton all line up the same way, is it a philosophy coming from top down? Sure they play differently when on the pitch but it seems none of them will ever start with 2 up top, even against team like Blackpool at home.

We need more than a striker, we need a complete overhaul.
Yeah very strange how we always play players out of position...no width these days and like most have said no connection between midfield and the boring isolated striker.
Year after year it's the same tactics no matter what manager we have....very strange

Other clubs are miles ahead of us sadly :(

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
B'muff sign Kenwynne Jones and he scores with virtually his first touch of the match this evening. Enough said.

We bought Beram Kayal and HE scored with almost his first touch too..................!

To be fair, getting in K. Jones looks like a good bit of business by B'muff.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
We bought Beram Kayal and HE scored with almost his first touch too..................!

At the very least it was an expensive piece of business. If it wasn't Premier League or bust before, it certainly is now.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Still didn't beat them though, which we did. Maybe we're not so bad.

I'd bloody love it if we buggered up Muff's promotion challenge next week.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
CH's team selections and substitutions continue to baffle me. NO width yesterday. Two wingers on the bench. Then he brings on the two most ineffective 'strikers' we have when we need to score. He worries me. He has made us safe for sure but i am concerned about next season already.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Keep Baldock, and O Grady. Sign a replacement (for Best) with same value as Kayam . Perhaps a striker who's struggled in the Prem, lives local and is back in the Champ next season :)
("Splash the cash" is much of a plan as "don't splash the cash" which was admittedly my poor contribution..

I personally would sell all our 'strikers' if we can - none are good enough at Champ level. Get 2 decent forwards in

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
PS How much did Ighalo, Deeney, Martin, Bamford, Gestede cost their clubs in transfer fees ?
(94 goals this season from those 5 strikers. )

Deal via parent club, already there and took many seasons to come good, and loan just up sums all those up. Ok if you've time and a decent bunch of players to surround the developing talent. No good if you haven't.

Put another way, what would those players cost to buy now?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As a team we were as "toothless as an 80 year old Creme Egg addict"

https://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/2015/04/04/norwich-at-home-mostly-harmless/

It isn't JUST the strikers but it starts there. A "strike force" of COG, CMS and Best is laughable really. Baldock was just starting to hit form but even he's only got four league goals. This is not only the worst strike force I can remember since before Poyet, we are being completely hamstrung by our appalling summer. Not just Ulloa and Buckley gone but the in list. Sheesh. Paddy - gone. Colunga - gone. Toko - did he ever arrive. Joe Bennett - great going forward, terrible, terrible defender, Holla - not playing. Gary Gardner - wasted deep with JFC by Sami then moved back to his parent club. The loans have been no better, Elliot Bennett had one good game and Ledesma is up there for worst player I've seen in the stripes since Mickey Adams II.

There is a LOT of work to do in the close season.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I don't think we're that far short of a decent Championship side, if we just got that striker. Our squad for much of last season wasn't great but we still came sixth. The biggest difference by far is Ulloa (and to a lesser extent Barnes in the first half of the season) against our current strikers. If we had a good Championship striker in front of these players (e.g. 15 goals a season), we would probably be top half now (which we are almost anyway since Hughton took over).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here