Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Reading fan

Themaninblue

Banned
Mar 20, 2013
Not sure why you read other teams forums....hard to read the dribble from our own fans yet another teams

I occasionally have a gander at other teams forums before a game to get a view from the other side and just see what opinions people have of Reading, rather than through most of the eyes of our clueless fans. It was just that everytime we have a game that it seems there can be some hate for us on this board, for what reasons I don't know, except Adkins. I have only been following Reading for ten years, so I don't know if there any previous reasons for some fans not taking kindly to us?

Some of you have made some fair comments, while others still seem content on hating, which I haven't got a problem with, but just wanted to mention a few points on your 'hating' of our tinpot club with this thread. I don't really care it was long and you couldn't be arsed to read it, I'd rather have a discussion with the fans who did.

I agree with the point on Pearce, he is very much an aggressive centre half, often overly aggressive. He is very old school defender in that he has no technical ability, yet attempts to use his physicality to his advantage. I have a feeling that some referees know big players that go down easy i.e: Ulloa, Pogrebnyak, and can maybe look at it with rose-tinted glasses, that's what I find with our big Russian anyway.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I occasionally have a gander at other teams forums before a game to get a view from the other side and just see what opinions people have of Reading, rather than through most of the eyes of our clueless fans. It was just that everytime we have a game that it seems there can be some hate for us on this board, for what reasons I don't know, except Adkins. I have only been following Reading for ten years, so I don't know if there any previous reasons for some fans not taking kindly to us?

Some of you have made some fair comments, while others still seem content on hating, which I haven't got a problem with, but just wanted to mention a few points on your 'hating' of our tinpot club with this thread. I don't really care it was long and you couldn't be arsed to read it, I'd rather have a discussion with the fans who did.

I agree with the point on Pearce, he is very much an aggressive centre half, often overly aggressive. He is very old school defender in that he has no technical ability, yet attempts to use his physicality to his advantage. I have a feeling that some referees know big players that go down easy i.e: Ulloa, Pogrebnyak, and can maybe look at it with rose-tinted glasses, that's what I find with our big Russian anyway.

Yeah but there are people on here that would hate todays beautiful sunshine

Themaninblue

Banned
Mar 20, 2013
Yeah but there are people on here that would hate todays beautiful sunshine

I know it's a shame, but for a forum that is quite popular, among the majority that were always going to slate this post, it's good to see some that agree with some of my points. Unfortunately every club has its pathetic fans, we are criminal of it, I stray well away from any Reading-based forums, as it is full of nonsensical drivel.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I know it's a shame, but for a forum that is quite popular, among the majority that were always going to slate this post, it's good to see some that agree with some of my points. Unfortunately every club has its pathetic fans, we are criminal of it, I stray well away from any Reading-based forums, as it is full of nonsensical drivel.

......not sure this was the best place to come instead then :D:D

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I actually agree with most of that - fair play. But yesterday we were hard done by that's for sure. Glad you said the Amex is amongst the best home atmospheres - appreciate that.

Thanks heavens for this; I was feeling quite lonely in thinking it was a perfectly reasonable opening post.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To the sane and humble fans on this board, I wish you luck for the rest of the season, as I would rather see you in the play-offs compared to the self-indulged history reminders over at Forest and Derby.
Thank you.

You make fair points in your post, but I'm surprised you care what fans here post. Of course a lot of players (ours included) make a meal of some challenges. The only reason people on NSC are unhappy with Reading's diving, is because it worked for you yesterday.

The only thing I really disagree with is your belief that Tony Bloom and the logical fans here would have been after Adkins if he was available. While Adkins has done fine as a manager, he's not been brilliant. Look at the Southampton players he had available when he got them promoted. And Mr Bloom & co have been after a particular brand of passing football, that isn't Adkins's style. And our fans wouldn't have wanted Adkins, because we don't like him. He'd have to be an amazing manager for us to have wanted him here.

Themaninblue

Banned
Mar 20, 2013
Thank you.

You make fair points in your post, but I'm surprised you care what fans here post. Of course a lot of players (ours included) make a meal of some challenges. The only reason people on NSC are unhappy with Reading's diving, is because it worked for you yesterday.

The only thing I really disagree with is your belief that Tony Bloom and the logical fans here would have been after Adkins if he was available. While Adkins has done fine as a manager, he's not been brilliant. Look at the Southampton players he had available when he got them promoted. And Mr Bloom & co have been after a particular brand of passing football, that isn't Adkins's style. And our fans wouldn't have wanted Adkins, because we don't like him. He'd have to be an amazing manager for us to have wanted him here.

That's an interesting point you make about Adkins there, he makes himself out to be the exact opposite in his playing style, that's why I thought Adkins would have been a good match for you had Gus come to us last year when McDermott was sacked. Ever since day one, Adkins has been insistent on playing good, passing football with us, yet unfortunately for him, he inherited a group of players that were clueless with a ball at their feet and could only play McDermott's constant hoofball. Our McDermott-loving fans started groaning, with results not too bad, but performances being below par when you look at our squad. Adkins eventually came round and realised that it wasn't working, so adapted a more direct approach, using Pogrebnyak as the heart of that. It sounded like we played some good football against you yesterday, albeit probably helped by the extra man, but without our big Russian, hoofing it up to Le Fondre would not have worked at all. I never realised that some fans had that perception of Adkins, as I always thought fans knew he liked to play a good brand of football, albeit I only saw a handful of live Southampton games.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Adkins eventually came round and realised that it wasn't working, so adapted a more direct approach
I'm not saying that Adkins is another Allardyce or Pulis, but Gus (for example) would rather fail than change his style to hoof ball.

I never realised that some fans had that perception of Adkins, as I always thought fans knew he liked to play a good brand of football, albeit I only saw a handful of live Southampton games.
Obviously there are more than a few styles of football, and I'm not suggesting that Adkins doesn't like passing. He his happy to mix passing with direct football, and that can work at the top level. It's just the last couple of managers we've had have been more extreme on building with passing. I'm sure our fans would have been happy with the styles Adkins adopts, it's our owners that seem keen on the passing style at the moment.

Themaninblue

Banned
Mar 20, 2013
I'm not saying that Adkins is another Allardyce or Pulis, but Gus (for example) would rather fail than change his style to hoof ball.

Obviously there are more than a few styles of football, and I'm not suggesting that Adkins doesn't like passing. He his happy to mix passing with direct football, and that can work at the top level. It's just the last couple of managers we've had have been more extreme on building with passing. I'm sure our fans would have been happy with the styles Adkins adopts, it's our owners that seem keen on the passing style at the moment.

Fair point. You find a lot of managers these days that completely stand by their philosophy of football and don't really have a plan B, i.e: Wenger, and unsurprisingly struggle against sides who have them worked them out tactically. I can't really fault you for your ideals of recruiting managers, I'd like to see us and others do the same. You appear keen to follow the Swansea model and who wouldn't if you look at their progress over the past decade.

This is why I am wiling to stand by Adkins until he has built a squad capable of playing his philosophy of football, even if it takes two or three seasons. It is utterly pointless getting promoted to the Premier League and playing a direct approach unless you have great experience in doing so, i.e: Pulis - you end up playing 38 cup matches and praying you get lucky, that was pretty much our season last year. Teams will simply play round you at will and batter you, you have a better chance if you can keep the ball well yourselves.

Swansea and Southampton went up playing a good brand of football and survived, I don't think it was any coincidence. It is a philosophy they are building and fair play, it really has worked for them. That's why if we somehow get promoted through the play offs this season, albeit unlikely, we will only embarrass ourselves once again. Teams like yourselves have more chance of surviving, even if it takes a few years to mould it together.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Op has a point re Ulloa, yesterday especially. I am in fact embarrassed by how weak he is at times for a big quality striker.

This, but only since he came back from injury. In his first few games with us he seemed shocked by how physical the english game is, then he got into his stride and fought hard for the ball. Now he seems petrified of picking up another injury and it really shows in his game. He's afraid of the tackle, the high ball and being tackled, so much so he'd rather fall over than run off with the ball these days.

I sincerely hope that he gains his courage back because he is a good player and a nice bloke.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

While not taking part in this general debate it IS always interesting to read the points of view from the other side before and after a game. I write for our fanzine and was lucky enough to be asked a few pre match questions by the Reading site The Tilehurst End. Naturally I had a look round there and also read their post match report. You'd almost think their reporter and me had been at different games and that's how much the referee polarised the supporters on Saturday. The thing is, though, if you're going to read a forum you're going to see things you don't like and even sane-ish match reports will tend to side with the writers intended audience. If you want neutrality read the nationals.

Oh, and Adkins is and always will be a pantomime villain round here. It's him the majority of us loathe not Reading the club. I think you've actually overachieved with the resources to hand.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This, but only since he came back from injury. In his first few games with us he seemed shocked by how physical the english game is, then he got into his stride and fought hard for the ball. Now he seems petrified of picking up another injury and it really shows in his game. He's afraid of the tackle, the high ball and being tackled, so much so he'd rather fall over than run off with the ball these days.

I sincerely hope that he gains his courage back because he is a good player and a nice bloke.

It's strange because as a Spaniard or Italian I would half expect him to be a bit of a woos but my impression of Argentinian players is that they are generally just as hard as British ones :shrug:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
While not taking part in this general debate it IS always interesting to read the points of view from the other side before and after a game. I write for our fanzine and was lucky enough to be asked a few pre match questions by the Reading site The Tilehurst End. Naturally I had a look round there and also read their post match report. You'd almost think their reporter and me had been at different games and that's how much the referee polarised the supporters on Saturday. The thing is, though, if you're going to read a forum you're going to see things you don't like and even sane-ish match reports will tend to side with the writers intended audience. If you want neutrality read the nationals.

Oh, and Adkins is and always will be a pantomime villain round here. It's him the majority of us loathe not Reading the club. I think you've actually overachieved with the resources to hand.

thumbs up from me

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's strange because as a Spaniard or Italian I would half expect him to be a bit of a woos but my impression of Argentinian players is that they are generally just as hard as British ones :shrug:

When I lived in Australia I regularly played with and against an Ecuadorian (yes I know it's a different country but stick with me). He was about the size of Ulloa and kicked the s**t out of you non stop (he once hit someone so hard they landed by my feet - I was on the touchline waiting to come on). However if you touched him he fell over like an 8 year old girl. When people complained - as they did every match - he said "this is how everyone plays in South America.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here