Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question for those who want Sami to Stay...

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Regardless of who bought the players, they are the ones we have and they are not going to be any different if we change the manager.
The players we have do seem to want to play for him and have said that they are enjoying the system.
Hyppia and Jones (regardless of the bizarre dislike of him on NSC) are both young coaches who, from what I have read, are seen as many in the game as having potential and I would like to trust that they have the capacity to learn and improve. I would like our club to be one that supports and develops rather than abandons its principles in the face of pressure.
Performances haven't been awful, they have generally been close to effective, but not close enough.
Since becoming chairman Tony Bloom has shown himself capable of making the right decisions for this football club. I'd trust his judgement of his staff over mine.

You are quite right -the same players will be here if we change the manager, and on this forum, there was mention of a survey which showed that in the long run, after the initial euphoria, results reverted to the same dismal catalogue of losses, or at the least inability to win. I could certainly see that a change would not bring success if the players were basically not up to it, but do feel that this team collectively is capable of better.
I think we need to be careful about what we read into support of the manager - the players are club employees and are expected to tow the party line, and in the game generally, it is virtually unheard-of for a prominent pundit, say, to claim that a manager is useless or whatever -generally, the excuse is that they need more time, even if they have been in post for years! The problem is that we do not really know if their claims of loyalty and buying into the system are fact or fiction.
As to whether the performances are close to effective -this is highly controversial and I think it is fair to say would not meet with majority approval. The Wigan game was dire and Saturday was really not that much better, though there were fleeting moments when we had a glimpse of their potential. EB would certainly be a useful addition, if possible.
I do agree with you regarding TB -I too generally trust his judgement, and the fact that he is a fan, helps massively - we only have to look at what seems like an increasing number of clubs, where there appears to be great distrust of chairmen's motives.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Players that play well are on the bench one week to the next. He plays bullock alone. He is a 5'7 striker! No manager plays that sort of tactic? He takes him off with a minute to go and replaces him with O'grady?

Not sure Michael Owen had much problem being knee high to a grass hoper and managers throughout time have played or benched players fans dont agree with. We had seasons of Lua Lua bench warming with people saying he should start then when he did others saying he cant last 60mins. It horses for courses.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Apart from believing that it's only reasonable to give SH longer to show that he can produce results I am very doubtful about the club being able to attract a better manager at the moment.

There has to be very little to persuade anyone to come and manage the playing side of the club - if we sack SH we will have fired one manager for serious misconduct without making public what that misconduct was, had one manager simply walk out and a third fired for lack of performance, all in less than three years. Would you want to take on a job with that background unless the remuneration package was extremely attractive?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Apart from believing that it's only reasonable to give SH longer to show that he can produce results I am very doubtful about the club being able to attract a better manager at the moment.

There has to be very little to persuade anyone to come and manage the playing side of the club - if we sack SH we will have fired one manager for serious misconduct without making public what that misconduct was, had one manager simply walk out and a third fired for lack of performance, all in less than three years. Would you want to take on a job with that background unless the remuneration package was extremely attractive?

A very fair point -it doesn't look too attractive a proposition, does it? One could only hope that insiders in the game know the whole truth behind the changes and that the club might have a better standing then we think. Over many years, when a new manager has come into the club, we have been told that the job at Brighton, because of our huge potential, is an attractive one by any standards. There will presumably always be out of work managers who would want to be part of the infrastructure, but I do agree, that on the surface, it does not look good.

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Not sure Michael Owen had much problem being knee high to a grass hoper and managers throughout time have played or benched players fans dont agree with. We had seasons of Lua Lua bench warming with people saying he should start then when he did others saying he cant last 60mins. It horses for courses.

Owen played with another striker virtually all the time. Torres and Fowler for starters. He also had the small advantage of having Gerrard and Sam Lee behind him! So as I said before who uses the tactic of single striker 5"7 tall?

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013

I'm fairly confident my Nan could pluck up 4 wins out of the last 30 games as a manager!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here