Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question for those who want Sami to Stay...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Cos he's only just got here.
We're not being dicked week in week out.
There have been moments that have excited even NSC.
He has clearly been under funded.
Slightly better players, a la EB, will make a huge difference.
It'll cost, and who's to say the next man will fair any better, in the current set up.
We can all see the problem areas, we'll see who January brings.
I'd love to be on the right side of history, for a change.
Sami tactics aren't as one dimensional as NSC would have you believe.
He's been let down by key players at key moments.

This. As others have said, SB's post pretty much nails it for me.

I would add that I don't want the club to waste money on getting a new manager in, who will face exactly the same issues.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Questions need to be asked of the recruitment department at the club to explain the wasted expenditure on Stockdale, Baldock and O Grady as none are better than we already had plus the loan of Al Habsi to play 1 game with a maximum of 2. Unfortunately we have sacrificed quality for quantity and signed many mediocre players. If Hypia is to stay he must have the say on who he wants to perform the style he has chosen, if he is not given that say we are on the road to Div 1 with or without SH.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
always think clubs should give managers enough time
to make their mark.
must admit I was prepared to make an exception in
sami's case because of his stubbornness in keeping
faith with a bizarre system which was proving to be
a handicap.
The fact that he has changed it for the last 2 games
has made me much happier.
The fact we haven't played particularly well in those
games less so .
But at least now I see a possibility that we can move up the table

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
All of you questioning whether this is Sami's team or not seem to have forgotten that when he joined he said that he was happy with the recruitment set up at the club, particularly as he had not had any involvement in transfers previously. He may well not be happy with the players he has inherited and that have been brought to the club whilst he has been here, but to imply that he wants to be heavily involved in transfers does not really stack up (from what we know anyway).

Bringing in a new manager who does want to deal in transfers is not going to change our budget. There is an argument to say that a more charismatic character might attract certain players not currently attracted to the club, but that still does not mean that we can suddenly afford them - afterall, we could not afford the squad Gus had.

Essentially, our manager has to get the best out of what we have. We cannot afford to make wholesale changes to the squad again.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
All of you questioning whether this is Sami's team or not seem to have forgotten that when he joined he said that he was happy with the recruitment set up at the club, particularly as he had not had any involvement in transfers previously. He may well not be happy with the players he has inherited and that have been brought to the club whilst he has been here, but to imply that he wants to be heavily involved in transfers does not really stack up (from what we know anyway).

Bringing in a new manager who does want to deal in transfers is not going to change our budget. There is an argument to say that a more charismatic character might attract certain players not currently attracted to the club, but that still does not mean that we can suddenly afford them - afterall, we could not afford the squad Gus had.

Essentially, our manager has to get the best out of what we have. We cannot afford to make wholesale changes to the squad again.

Yes we can't afford to waste money you are correct, but just look at how much we have wasted on poor signings and loan deals. Fewer numbers in and more quality could be the answer. We have signed sum rubbish who don't even play.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
This team is not Sami's team, I think he will keep us up and then I will judge next season.

Who's team is it then??? Because it bare's no resemblance to the team that finished last season at all. We have signed at least a dozen new players, if not more. If it isn't Sammi's team then it must be Jonesey's or Burke's or Barber's or Bloom's. Because it's certainly not Garcia's or Poyet's....In fact I think I have more or less just put, why we are in deep deep shite..No one seems to know, what on earth is going on or who is steering the ship.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I keep reading all this guff about the players 'not being Sami's team' and just think what utter garbage that comment is! One group of players is much like any other group whether the manager has chosen them or not, there aren't players with special abilities that can only be unlocked by Sami Hyppia. A professional football manager should be able to work with what he has got and get the best out of his group of players, Sami clearly is not doing that or even if you disagree with that it is difficult to argue that at the very least he is most certainly struggling with managing our club. Ive gone from being firmly behind Hyppia to being on the fence to being convinced he needs to go! Now however i've reached the point where i really dont give a toss either way since I dont think it will make any difference changing him or keeping him, our season is effectively over and we will do well to avoid relegation, whether Hyppia is here at the end of the season or not I dont care as long as we stay up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Questions need to be asked of the recruitment department at the club to explain the wasted expenditure on Stockdale, Baldock and O Grady as none are better than we already had plus the loan of Al Habsi to play 1 game with a maximum of 2. Unfortunately we have sacrificed quality for quantity and signed many mediocre players. If Hypia is to stay he must have the say on who he wants to perform the style he has chosen, if he is not given that say we are on the road to Div 1 with or without SH.

That is the answer IMHO.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Who's team is it then??? Because it bare's no resemblance to the team that finished last season at all. We have signed at least a dozen new players, if not more. If it isn't Sammi's team then it must be Jonesey's or Burke's or Barber's or Bloom's. Because it's certainly not Garcia's or Poyet's....In fact I think I have more or less just put, why we are in deep deep shite..No one seems to know, what on earth is going on or who is steering the ship.

Don't hold your breath waiting an answer to that question. One many would like the true answer to, all this very large management team at the club (just added another to sell tickets) who really does what?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
personally I don't think the football being played right now is up to much at all, at best it's really mediocre at worse it's depressing. However right now I dont particularly care, most important is to get points in the bank and make sure we get our selves in a position where an average 2n d half of the season keeps us up.

If SH can get us 3 or 4 points from next 2 games (hopeful I know) then he would take us into December in a position where he should get a few more weeks to see if he can steady the ship and build it from there.

If on the other hand we come away from Norwich with zilch and Fulham turn us over then I think December may have to be the month in which some tough decisions will be made.

So, yes I do think he should stay right now, even if that view is short term its in his hands to pull us through all the doom and gloom.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Less signings, means buy one more expensive instead of the two cheap options = same outlay.
For instance how much wages is it costing us for Augustein and Toko for how much game time?

We do not know the answer to that. Theoretically you are correct, does not always work in practice - the one more expensive signing may not want to come to the club, for example and paying more in fees/wages does not mean you get a better player. Agustein is a great example of this.

I heard a rumour that Toko cost upwards of £2m...lol,,,shrewd!!!!

Signed when Oscar was at the club. And his contract had expired at Grasshoppers, so who did we pay the 2m to?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
We do not know the answer to that. Theoretically you are correct, does not always work in practice - the one more expensive signing may not want to come to the club, for example and paying more in fees/wages does not mean you get a better player. Agustein is a great example of this.

Signed when Oscar was at the club. And his contract had expired at Grasshoppers, so who did we pay the 2m to?

Agent and signing on fee possibly?

If you take last January window when a fee was agreed for Grabban and the deal fell through for Grabban due to his wages, we then signed Rodriques and Lingard, would not their combine wages gone a long way to have paid for Grabban, who would also have been an investment as it proved. I agree with hindsight about his later £3 mill move.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here