Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question for the refs. Sending off a player

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm really sorry, I must be being particularly thick today but that confuses me more and I'm not sure if the part about the goalie is true, If a goalie gets sent off then it makes perfect sense to bring on a sub goalie and take off an outfield player but I don't think there's a requirement to do so. And you keep commenting about numbers 4,7, 8 and 10 are these merely player positions quoted in old money, so to speak, and if so, what happens if the team aren't playing 4-4-2?

"You need to take off your centre forward"

"We haven't got one"

I am not 100% sure about this one, but I seem to recall if that numbered player ( 8 or 10 ) isnt still on the pitch due to an earlier substitution, then you must consult the fourth official who in turn would expect that current teams Man of the Match for this game to be sacrificed and asked to leave the field.

Seems a silly rule to me as how do you assess who would be the current best player for that team, but rules are rules.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I would say it MUST be when the player has left the field of play. This is almost certainly when the 4th official often has their hand infront of the player due to come on to make ABSOLUTELY certain that he has not entered the field of play until the other one is off.

It was a funny weekend for that kind of situation. Coquelin was VERY lucky to not be sent off and Janmaat was just TRYING to get to the showers first. :lolol:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I would say it MUST be when the player has left the field of play. This is almost certainly when the 4th official often has their hand infront of the player due to come on to make ABSOLUTELY certain that he has not entered the field of play until the other one is off.

It was a funny weekend for that kind of situation. Coquelin was VERY lucky to not be sent off and Janmaat was just TRYING to get to the showers first. :lolol:

It was Arsenals number 8 & 10 that were the lucky ones !!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As far as im aware the ref can red card anyone. Even a player before the game has started. Lets say a player larrumps someone whilst walking out on the pitch.

Whilst the player is trotting off the pitch he could still be sent off, lets say verbals or again smashes into someone before he leaves so the other player cant come on.

Once the player has sat down then I presume he can still be "sent to the stand" but that wouldnt affect the 11 on the pitch. Of course the player "sent to the stand" would have to serve any suspension.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Players are under the jurisdiction of the ref from the moment the ref arrives at the ground until the moment they leave. If a player were to abuse the ref in the car park before the game they could in theory be given a red card and be unable to take part in the match.

There you go. Exactly what Im trying and failing to say

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I am not 100% sure about this one, but I seem to recall if that numbered player ( 8 or 10 ) isnt still on the pitch due to an earlier substitution, then you must consult the fourth official who in turn would expect that current teams Man of the Match for this game to be sacrificed and asked to leave the field.

Seems a silly rule to me as how do you assess who would be the current best player for that team, but rules are rules.

Dead horse. Flog. You.

Haha. Ouch. My sides. Me.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Dead horse. Flog. You.

Haha. Ouch. My sides. Me.

Dont get upset, it was just a little joke.

It wasnt meant to make you or others laugh, but I was actually giggling at my own wind up, moreso the vision of HKFC kicking himself at responding at the exact moment he realised it was a wind up, I could feel the pain.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dont get upset, it was just a little joke.

It wasnt meant to make you or others laugh, but I was actually giggling at my own wind up, moreso the vision of HKFC kicking himself at responding at the exact moment he realised it was a wind up, I could feel the pain.

You're a legend in your own tiny mind. Aren't jokes supposed to be funny?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am KICKING myself half to death, at my failure to spot that [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] was on this occasion having a HILARIOUS joke, rather than just posting his usual pompous mentalism.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As far as im aware the ref can red card anyone. Even a player before the game has started. Lets say a player larrumps someone whilst walking out on the pitch.

Whilst the player is trotting off the pitch he could still be sent off, lets say verbals or again smashes into someone before he leaves so the other player cant come on.

Once the player has sat down then I presume he can still be "sent to the stand" but that wouldnt affect the 11 on the pitch. Of course the player "sent to the stand" would have to serve any suspension.

You are correct. I recall a Man U player (prob Keane or Ince) actually got 2 reds in a game. He was sent off but then got involved in an off-pitch dust-up (tunnel I think) after the initial sending off and got a second red some time later. As you point out the second red only got him extra points.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I was actually giggling at my own wind up.

Giggling? Oh no: I LOLd until I coughed and spluttered to scare the horses. Next time please do us all a favour and warn us next time before laying such a powerful gag on us: I fear I may give myself a hernia. More please.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No thats for stand ups, I live to make me happy and you look stupid.

Lovin' life ........
But...but you come across as such a simpleton, and an arrogant one too.

Suffice to say, this post is funnier than your joke. Because sorry to say, but you don't make anyone look stupid. Ever.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I'm sure similar happened a few years ago - a player was on a yellow and the red mist had descended, haring around going flying into tackles. His manager subbed him off and he tore his shirt off in anger as he stormed off the pitch. The ref gave him a 2nd yellow and voided the sub.

Did I imagine this? Was it Di Canio?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But...but you come across as such a simpleton, and an arrogant one too.

Suffice to say, this post is funnier than your joke. Because sorry to say, but you don't make anyone look stupid. Ever.

Oh come on, be fair, I make you look stupid more times than not ???

Look I dont want a fight, but can be consulted on the rules of the game, PM me if you would like to know my take on the offside rule.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This actually happened last season to a Notts County player. He was already on a yellow, and was being subbed. He took too long leaving the pitch, so the ref showed him a 2nd yellow for timewasting, sending him off.

The ref then MISTAKENLY allowed the sub to come on the pitch. I think the 4th official alerted him though, and the sub had to return to the bench.

Ahh, here it is

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29486461

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In a similar(ish) vein, there was one quite recent Albion player, who recieved their first yellow card in league football, before they'd made a single appearance....

raba

Jun 9, 2013
Now you've lost me, sorry. Are you saying there are specific positions that would have to forfeit their place on the pitch for specific bookable offences by substituted players? Or is this an elaborate gag that's gone over my head?

Confused of Brighton.
Hardly PJ O'Rourke are you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here