Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A question for all the pro potter fans on the board

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You cannot ignore the stats. The points tally only shows part of the picture. Sure it's the one that ultimately matters, it is also the one that people with a short attention span focus on. The fact of the matter is that in many aspects of the game the team is performing with real quality. It's not even the so called final third that is the problem, it's the final seconds. We are a good side that has great difficulty in converting quality chances. We do not have a stable, clinical forward pairing, something that many on here were screaming about pre season. It was decided that we needed to develop what we have, but clearly more time is needed. Potter cannot be blamed for Maupay missing sitters and penalties, or the team hitting the woodwork 5 times in a game. There is a reason these guys get 2m a year and they are clearly not holding up to their part of the bargain. Every time we put pressure on the opposition Potter has done his job, the rest is up to the players. Re the team selection against Arsenal, yeah that one was questionable, as was his dedication to Ryan. But on the whole GP is doing his job.
An experienced manager would of took the points at West Ham it wasn’t exactly a hard call either. Finally we do hit the net score a couple and Maupay finally gets on the score sheet. What does Mr Potter do drop him for the next game :facepalm: I mean Christ almighty I’ve played and watched football since I was a kid he’s not getting the basics right half the time.

You can almost sense what the opposition are thinking they weather a bit of first half pressure we create a few chances their manager changes formation at half time and it’s game over..and repeat the same pattern game after game. I’m happy for you if you believe Potter is the way forward enjoy your one home win a year :thumbsup:

Just to add as forward player in my playing days, (sadly they went a long time ago) to be left out of the next match day 11 after finally getting a goal is mentally demoralising the poor lad was so happy he had scored he couldn’t wait to get back out on the pitch (Maupay’s social media). It was an unbelievable decision to drop him and to make six changes after a decent performance at West Ham well I was flabbergasted.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
How would an "experienced" manager have taken the points from west Ham? Do they have telekinetic powers to stop the ball ricocheting off a west Ham players face and into our goal? Because that was what was needed.

But I think we all know now from your replies that you don't care for the long term of the club, you don't care about it's financial stability and you don't care about bringing youngsters through. You just want points NOW and **** the future.
Yeah because losing millions dropping back to championship is really helping the clubs financial stability :shrug: The pro Potters don’t seem to have an issue with relegation either (it’s all part of master plan) which is a really selfish attitude many people will lose their jobs at the club if that happens.

The best option at West Ham was to bring on the experienced Veltman and Propper to help see the game out. Again not rocket science.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Potter is under performing, that is the bottom line _but_ it is quite clear (and has been said 1000x) that what we are missing is a striker who can convert chances.

There are other factors to weigh too: the general strangeness of the COVID season. If we survive (big if) he should have the time and the window he needs to build the team he wants and let go players he doesn't. Ryan has been positioned for an exit, Propper seems to be on the fringes, Gross is well...Gross. We'll have to see. But it can't be denied that at Brighton, Potter has a good record of raising up youth within the first team.

This season we've seen Lampety, Alzate, MacAl, Connolly, and most recently, Sanchez in first team roles. Biss has improved significantly (as will have his valuation). That is pretty good going. With more time these players can develop further, which hopefully will allow us to generate or save cash for That Striker.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
When it’s clear that the players are no longer playing for him or if we go down and are not challenging for promotion by next December.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I really hope if he stays that Potter turns it around as like all Albion fans I want us to stay up.

But a question for all the pro Potter fans

When would you call for him to be sacked if things did not improve ?

But what needs improving? The only thing I can see is the finishing. Who's fault is that? The players and then the recruitment, not Potter's.

Yes he's done some things that people don't agree with and they are only amplified because we're not winning. If Maupay, Trossard, Connolly, Ali J et al. had put away some of their gilt-edged chances then people wouldn't be trying to look for every spurious reason for our position. It's lack of finishing ability and only finishing as far as I can see.

The players are still trying their best for him, you can see that and they are all (pretty much) putting a shift in every game. There's no bad body language etc.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
When it’s clear that the players are no longer playing for him or if we go down and are not challenging for promotion by next December.

Why is going down acceptable? We are in our 4th season in the Premier League. We are not too good to go down, but all thing considered, it should be seen as a failure.I don't know who is better than him to replace him, but that doesn't mean relegation should be accepted.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
But what needs improving? The only thing I can see is the finishing. Who's fault is that? The players and then the recruitment, not Potter's.

Yes he's done some things that people don't agree with and they are only amplified because we're not winning. If Maupay, Trossard, Connolly, Ali J et al. had put away some of their gilt-edged chances then people wouldn't be trying to look for every spurious reason for our position. It's lack of finishing ability and only finishing as far as I can see.
Graham Potter says his job is to improve players that are here.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why is going down acceptable? We are in our 4th season in the Premier League. We are not too good to go down, but all thing considered, it should be seen as a failure.I don't know who is better than him to replace him, but that doesn't mean relegation should be accepted.

I think that the club have alluded to accepting that if necessary haven’t they? Being a Yo Yo team is nothing new when you are a minnow. It’s a balance on gambling the club or following your plan without taking the club into admin or out of business. Why do you think we haven’t spent what is required on strikers?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

I like Potter and what he’s trying to do with an under the radar (new) PL club. A few weeks ago it was definitely about finishing. Unfortunately, as the forward’s confidence has waned so has the team’s approach play. However, it cannot be over emphasised how much we miss Lamptey’s dynamism. If Lamptey is not available then GPott quickly has to come up with a completely different set up to try and get us going - THAT was what Tuesday’s team was about and I reckon they’ll be another change against Wolves - perhaps even a solid back4 and two sitting. If Lamptey doesn’t play then Solly has to play further up the pitch - especially as he’s still playing with confidence.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I'd say he has in general. We're playing much better football now than under CH. Less goals yes but again, that's player responsibility.

That's what makes how I'm feeling at the moment so hard. I can see him doing a lot of good things, but I don't know if hes capable of winning games and that is quite important.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gambling....

I was under the impression with gambling, long term the house always wins, sooner or later he will get it wrong.
:down:

He’s not a gambler in the traditional sense with Starlizard though - he’s not relying on the spin of a wheel or flip of a coin. He’s using a depth of quantitative analysis that allows him to identify where bookies have likely got it marginally wrong (essentially his analysts - and/or techniques - are better than those the bookies that set the odds are) and using that knowledge to make bets. There’s no luck involved.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think that the club have alluded to accepting that if necessary haven’t they? Being a Yo Yo team is nothing new when you are a minnow. It’s a balance on gambling the club or following your plan without taking the club into admin or out of business. Why do you think we haven’t spent what is required on strikers?

Tony knows its a risk but would he watch us sleepwalk into a relegation? This is what he said when he sacked Hughton.

"Undoubtedly, this has been one of the most difficult decisions I have had to make as chairman of Brighton & Hove Albion, but ultimately one I have made due to how we struggled in the second half of the season.

"Our run of 3 wins from 23 Premier League matches put our status at significant risk. It is with that in mind, and the performances during that period, that I now feel it’s the right time for a change.

Potter has won 5 in 35 games (I think its roughly that). If that form continues then he will put our status at significant risk.

Accepting that one day we will get relegated, and just standing by doing nothing while getting relegated are two different things. I want Potter to succeed but I don't want us to go down because we were too scared to change anything.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not pro, but not anti, just an okay manager.

IF we go down, I’d give him until end of November and if we aren’t top 8 in the championship, offload him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not pro, but not anti, just an okay manager.

IF we go down, I’d give him until end of November and if we aren’t top 8 in the championship, offload him.

Rational view, are you sure that you don’t want to lose your shit? Come back after Wolves :wink:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Rational view, are you sure that you don’t want to lose your shit? Come back after Wolves :wink:

Always try to be measured [emoji6][emoji2]

Not sure I was too bad post Arsenal, the line-up was mystifying, but let’s face it there are 30k of us who wouldn’t have selected/predicted that team.

Most outspoken I’ve been was probably yesterday on Ryan [emoji23][emoji23]

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
This is probably where I’m at. I wouldn’t sack him if we go down but if by Christmas we were mid table or lower in the Championship and not looking likely to challenge for promotion then that would be time to change for me.

Going on the Championship this season (as an AFCB fan) then there's a serious issue if you come put of the PL and aren't top 6 all season tbh.

Saying that I think you'll stay up - just get more points than Fulham is the plan I presume?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think there are any pro Potter fans on this board (*)

There's Brighton fans and he happens to be our manager and we get behind him. In my time of following the Albion the majority of supporters have only turned on a manager when things were going really, really bad. Much worse than this

*OK, there's possibly one exception to this

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here