Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] A pleasing point

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Did it take you long to get back home via M25

A journey to forget. Becoming normal to be 3hrs down and 3hrs back, including the Amex ‘in the zone’ which is normally 1 hour+ (ie the logistics of the last 4 miles whether p&r or train) It’s the SE for you, total nightmare to journey around. All looks so close by on a map! In reality, an away game to somewhere like Norwich is fair easier and quicker than Brighton. Used to leave home at 1.30 when we were at Withdean and still just make KO! I’d miss the final whistle these days playing at the Amex!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A journey to forget. Becoming normal to be 3hrs down and 3hrs back, including the Amex ‘in the zone’ which is normally 1 hour+ (ie the logistics of the last 4 miles whether p&r or train) It’s the SE for you, total nightmare to journey around. All looks so close by on a map! In reality, an away game to somewhere like Norwich is fair easier and quicker than Brighton. Used to leave home at 1.30 when we were at Withdean and still just make KO! I’d miss the final whistle these days playing at the Amex!

I know it's out of the way, but we go round the other way sometime to avoid the crap, only adds about 10 minutes.
If we do go to the Amex, always tie it in with family visit.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I know it's out of the way, but we go round the other way sometime to avoid the crap, only adds about 10 minutes.
If we do go to the Amex, always tie it in with family visit.

Yep, its getting worse with each year. Tonight queue for m25 started at Gatwick. Just sheer volume of traffic on Sunday evening, no accidents.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got home at 5.10 tonight, so almost 2 hrs after the game ended. I ran from Burgess Hill to the Amex for the Newcastle game in 1 hr 40m. Traffic tonight was awful in every direction

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I thought we played very well second half. Excellent passing throughout again - just a lack of movement in first half. We have some very, very good players :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Shows how far we’ve come we’re disappointed with a draw against a side of the calibre of Southampton. It was pleasing that we got a point and showed what we had with coming from behind.

You’re disappointed but you’re pleased.

I was just pleased.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don’t understand how people can be disappointed or think we were below par.

For me, Southampton were the best team we’ve played at home other than Man City. Football isn’t all about attacking or an expansive style. It can also be about keeping your shape, organisation and playing as a team. I thought they were a really good unit and tactically had control of the game until we scored. They were the first team we’ve played this season who didn’t come out to attack us and were happy to sit back and play us at our own game. I think we played ok in the first half and actually played very well in the second half, but it took that just to get a point against a team with good players and great shape. If we hadn’t scored early in the second half I think we’d have got frustrated against a resolute side and quite possibly lost.

We can’t just expect to roll over established PL teams with talented players all over the pitch. We’ve not got a striker with any PL experience of note, we’ve got a 37 year old at right back and we’ve only got two fit midfielders. We should accept we are up against it in every game, there isn’t going to be an easy win and a lot of the time a draw is a decent result. Our guys are doing absolutely brilliantly to be as competitive as we are and I think 12 points on the board is outstanding. But the nature of the league is that we could lose any match, so let’s not be dismissive of teams like Southampton as simply matching them and deserving a draw is really positive in my opinion.

Great post [emoji106][emoji106]

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I thought Southampton played a Brighton game yesterday and basically cancelled it out.Were comfortable giving us possession in the non dangerous areas. Result was a fair one, not a particularly interesting game to watch.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Still a decent point against a team that finished 8th last season. Not a classic but another game unbeaten.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
A draw seemed a fair result. However after Murray's goal we needed to up the tempo abit and it would have been nice to have seen us push a bit more for the winner.

We need to work on playing balls through to Izquierdo that he can run onto as would have caused Southampton all kinds of trouble.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dullest home game of the season to date, two teams with tight systems cancelling each other out.

Result spot on!

If you took the Southampton goal out of it, wasn't a lot different from the Newcastle game. Similar number of chances, possession, similar tactical setup from both sides cancelling each other out. Couldn't say either was dull though, still really interesting footballing contests.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don’t understand how people can be disappointed or think we were below par.

For me, Southampton were the best team we’ve played at home other than Man City. Football isn’t all about attacking or an expansive style. It can also be about keeping your shape, organisation and playing as a team. I thought they were a really good unit and tactically had control of the game until we scored. They were the first team we’ve played this season who didn’t come out to attack us and were happy to sit back and play us at our own game. I think we played ok in the first half and actually played very well in the second half, but it took that just to get a point against a team with good players and great shape. If we hadn’t scored early in the second half I think we’d have got frustrated against a resolute side and quite possibly lost.

We can’t just expect to roll over established PL teams with talented players all over the pitch. We’ve not got a striker with any PL experience of note, we’ve got a 37 year old at right back and we’ve only got two fit midfielders. We should accept we are up against it in every game, there isn’t going to be an easy win and a lot of the time a draw is a decent result. Our guys are doing absolutely brilliantly to be as competitive as we are and I think 12 points on the board is outstanding. But the nature of the league is that we could lose any match, so let’s not be dismissive of teams like Southampton as simply matching them and deserving a draw is really positive in my opinion.

Pretty much all of that.

I thought the worst going 1-0 down so early, but fair play to the boys – they stuck at it and got themselves back into the game. I don't buy into this 'under the kosh for the last 10 minutes' stuff either. I thought it was still quite open and end to end. There were one or two occasions where the ball was given away cheaply, but apart from that, I wasn't really too worried about conceding.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Every point is pleasing this season. I was disappointed we couldn't capitalise on the momentum created by the equaliser but Southampton were a tough nut to crack, they were excellent defensively.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm disappointed, think it's 2 big home points dropped. Yes away that would be a good result but at home I expect us to win that.

Southampton are a very average side these days. For those saying they're strong, if you go through each side player for player, see how many of theirs you'd pick ahead of ours? The only one's I might are the full backs and that's probably just because if age, I'd choose ours on attitude and desire.

Yes VVD is clearly a classy player, but I still wouldn't swap him for our two centre backs.

I would swap him for Shane Duffy in the blink of an eye.
He is of the highest calibre. Too good for Liverpool. Oozes class and composure. Marshals the whole team from the back. Two footed, good in the air and courageous. Carries the ball forward with ease and passes superbly. Difficult to find a chink in the armour. Surely destined for one of the European giants.
Best defender I have seen for a very long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here